Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by cowboyguy
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, the cheapest $500 Visa Gift Cards cost $5.95?

Where are they available at? I know they are available at my local supermarket but is there a major chain store (CVS, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot etc) they are available from?
no some of the vanilla gc's are only $4.95, available at various pharmacies and grocery stores
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:41 am

Still others are available for even less at some malls.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by prokopon
anyone know how long until a hold falls off of a MetaBank VGC when the transaction is aborted?

I went to get a 1K MO and used this card first. Problem with the second card, so CSM aborts the transaction, says that the 500 went back to my first card. I ask for a $499.30 MO, but now it declines the transaction. I'm hoping that this is just a matter of waiting a few days until the hold from the first attempt falls off. Anyone have experience with such a situation?
There is no hold, just timeout during commit after you enter the pin and get approved so the money should go back to your card after 30 minutes.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:11 am

I'm wondering what the big scare is when I try to buy MO with GC. The Walmarts in my area don't want to do it for the most part. Is there any way to charge back on a debit card, much less a GC? To me, it seems to be as good as taking cash. Are there any risks involved for the store? I would like to educate any managers if possible. Of course I can be a lot more convincing if I know the facts.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:31 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrori...cious_activity
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
I'm wondering what the big scare is when I try to buy MO with GC. The Walmarts in my area don't want to do it for the most part. Is there any way to charge back on a debit card, much less a GC? To me, it seems to be as good as taking cash. Are there any risks involved for the store? I would like to educate any managers if possible. Of course I can be a lot more convincing if I know the facts.
Don't bother. You'll just ruin it for everybody. You're not asking about using GC are you? You are presumably holding debit cards and thats all they should be referred to as. It's up to you and your bank balances as to why you want to split transactions the way you do.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
The belief and fear of some over zealous over correcting "no" type clerks I have seen in my travels at places like wmt goes something like this:

A person tries to run a multi card split for mos.

Something goes wrong. Be it on the users end, the clerks or the mo machine.

Someone gets upset.

Managers and clerks get antsy about doing it again. They dont understand why someone wants it anyway so they clam up. Therr are many provincial mindsets working at such stores after all.

Next person comes in to do it. Clerk gets frazzled. Managet comes over and says something like,

Well sir a lady was caught stealing ccs at a local college cafe and then using them to buy gift cards at stores that didnt check id to make the big purchases of these. Then she'd run out and try to cash them out as quickly as possible at stores like ours. So unless your name is on the debit card we cant accept it because it MIGHT be fraud and we dont want involvement.

So clerks get to tell people they wont accept prepaid cards or debit cards that arent from what they think is a "real" bank (although incomm is part of bancorp so its real) and we are out of luck if we happen upon one of those clerks.

If youve already bought and they try to refund your gc, do not allow it. Offer your id and say: i paid, only i know the pin, it is a debit card, and you now have my info in case something goes wrong. Then dont go back to that store/clerk.

The story of the cc thief could be real or not but mgrs are often trained to make stuff up just like we do
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
no some of the vanilla gc's are only $4.95, available at various pharmacies and grocery stores
And 7-Eleven gas station, at least here in Madison.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
The cashier at the WalMart close to my job looked at my ID and BB when I went to load today. I asked her why, and she said they have to do it now. I asked what prompted the change and she said that she was just doing as she was told. I was only requesting to load $500, and I mentioned to her that I thought I heard somewhere that large transactions needed an ID. I loaded $500 in two transactions, and then went about my business.

I think WM in this part of town probably gets a bunch of MSers with multiple birds to feed. I've decided to run all of my GCs through the BB with my name, and then run beans through the other 2.

Just wanted to share my experience.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
Be careful where you deposit your MOs:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...hone-call.html
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its goin down
Im yellin VR
You better move
You better MS
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Source?

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Its goin down
Im yellin VR
You better move
You better MS
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Prepaid feat. GC$a
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Its goin down
Im yellin VR
You better move
You better MS
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Bender464
Lol...Timber!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.