Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by rampartmovie
Did they ask you for your ID? If yes, did they enter your ID into the system?
1. No ID required when using GC with Pin to buy MO.
2. No ID to set PIN

3. Cashier required ID and entered it in register when buying GC with Chase MP credit card. Said anything over $100 required ID.
I have purchased two more since post above. Asked for ID each time.

Is there a potential problem with this?

Last edited by grayland; Dec 22, 2013 at 9:57 am
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by grayland
...when buying ... with Chase MP credit card.
Any particilar reason to buy at grocery store? Drug stores are $1 cheaper at least...
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pier11
Any particilar reason to buy at grocery store? Drug stores are $1 cheaper at least...
CC bonus categories
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by jasonvr
CC bonus categories
The discontinued cards, like MP Select?.. Got you.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by grayland
1. No ID required when using GC with Pin to buy MO.
2. No ID to set PIN

3. Cashier required ID and entered it in register when buying GC with Chase MP credit card. Said anything over $100 required ID.
I have purchased two more since post above. Asked for ID each time.

Is there a potential problem with this?

Yes they entered the ID in the register for me too I am also wondering if there is a problem with this...Can the experts chime in their opinions?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 2:22 pm

Purchased a Variable Vanilla Visa (exp 08/22). Supposed to set pin on first swipe. Tried using it at our local grocery store (largest chain in Florida) but got a Not Authorized message. Made sure the card was registered on the VanillaVisa website with our zip code and cleared the pin but same message. Thoughts?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
CC bonus categories
Originally Posted by pier11
The discontinued cards, like MP Select?.. Got you.
Also Amex BCP (to 6K of spend per calendar).

Sometimes I use my WF 5% (for 6 mos) at grocery. Gets 5% at both grocery and drug, but if I'm in there getting a MO already, I'll pay the extra $2 for two cards and save time and gas. Or stop by the drug store and get more there too.

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
Yes they entered the ID in the register for me too I am also wondering if there is a problem with this...Can the experts chime in their opinions?
Kroger has been entering my DL number for months now. It's an anti-fraud measure for them. I'm actually happy to do it. EVERY King Soopers I've tried has allowed me to purchase variable GC (and every one entered DL). At Safeway, it's very hit or miss, some stores allow CC purchases, some debit and cash, some cash only. I hardly bother with Safeway unless they have a deal on store branded GC, or 4x fuel points.

Now perhaps Kroger used the DL data to figure out just how many GCs certain individuals were buying (and how many fuel points they were earning), and it led to them nixing fuel points on the variable GCs. But I was never contacted personally, or heard of anyone who was.

While we all have a desire to stay under the radar, and for the deals to last longer; remember that the debit GC deal is legal. We buy a legal product and do legal transactions with that product. Whether or not we get rewards on these transactions is a private matter between the CC issuer and us.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
Purchased a Variable Vanilla Visa (exp 08/22). Supposed to set pin on first swipe. Tried using it at our local grocery store (largest chain in Florida) but got a Not Authorized message. Made sure the card was registered on the VanillaVisa website with our zip code and cleared the pin but same message. Thoughts?
This is exactly why I don't want to buy GCs at CVS or Walgreens. It is a dollar cheaper than Grocery Visa GCs, but not worth the hassle. I guess I'm stuck with one.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by Fuerza
I apologize if this is covered some where, but is using the Visa pin gift cards and loading them into bluebird the same process as the MasterCard pin gift card?
Figured this out, too easy! Successfully purchased a gift card and loaded into blue bird. Now I have to ramp up slowly.... Lol
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:06 am
ra7

I see instructions in the thread to load 200$ MC GC to bluebird. But do they work to purchase MO at WM?. I tried last night wth MC 200$ gc and it didn't work.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: United, AA, Avianca
Originally Posted by ra7
I see instructions in the thread to load 200$ MC GC to bluebird. But do they work to purchase MO at WM?. I tried last night wth MC 200$ gc and it didn't work.
it doesn't work at all walmarts. If they have the older keypad, it seems to not work. The issue is that the computer treats it as a cc and not debit so you have to take the steps necessary ("cancel button"--only works on new system) to change to debit in order to process. The other annoying issue is that you can't seem to combine multiple cards in one transaction as you are able to with visa (up to 3 cards per transaction).
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ra7
Sigh...... Have you read the Wiki in this thread?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
Don't know what is causing your "not authorized" message but I have used hundreds of VGC, mostly at WM, without any problem. I have gotten the message, I believe was, "alternate payment required" that was caused because cashier pressed the wrong button for making split-payments.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:13 pm

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question but here goes.

I found a local mall that sells meta bank visas with a reduced $3 fee each, no limit however when I went to buy them (6 x $500) the associate asked for my full SSN. I refused to give it to her and she denied the sale. I talked to a supervisor as well and he said it was required. Has anyone run into the same situation? I brought a $100 as a test a week and they didn't require it, so I'm concerned about a credit check or some type of tracking if I want to scale up my MS
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:23 pm

Perhaps they will track total purchases and eventually deny you when you reach some limit? Similar to the AAA GCs experience that others have had.

What area of the country was this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.