Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
Bought 2x$500 Visa GC...Used AMEX SPG BIZ and INK ....likewise waiting to see under what category this will be coded ...even with 1x its still cheaper than VR at CVS for AMEX SPG cards and any non bonus category cards.....if you don't mind doing your walmart pilgrimage to liquidate....
What bonus category do you have that it could possibly fall under? Ink gives a bonus on Telecom, Gas, Hotels, and Office Supplies. I can pretty much guarantee it won't fall under any of those. The SPG Biz only seems to give a bonus on SPG stays (I don't have one, but that's how the website seems to read) and I can guarantee your local mall is not an SPG property.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
What bonus category do you have that it could possibly fall under? Ink gives a bonus on Telecom, Gas, Hotels, and Office Supplies. I can pretty much guarantee it won't fall under any of those. The SPG Biz only seems to give a bonus on SPG stays (I don't have one, but that's how the website seems to read) and I can guarantee your local mall is not an SPG property.
Doesn't have to be a bonus category on those cards to find out what merchant code they are using and go from there. Potentially it could be under department store, which comes up as a rotating category sometimes.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:13 am

I read it that he was saying it's cheaper than VRs at CVS with non-bonus category cards, which is obvious since its $2.95/500 vs $3.95/500.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Hey you never know...its probably a 1x category....still thats 25% cheaper in MS cost/fees compared with VR's at CVS ...but greater walmart foot traffic...
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by buylower
Just relating a data point with the Celebrate MC. I purchased 3 of these at my local A&P during their $20 promotion period last week (hadn't read this thread). Fortunately I successfully loaded the first one at WM to BB. I haven't tried the other two yet...
Update: I was successful in loading all 3 to BB at WM.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Would be great if department store category with freedom card
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by suzsy
Would be great if department store category with freedom card
I purchased one to help meet min spend on Saph Pref, but merchant codes are not shown in recent activity. I will update once my statement is generated.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by rambro
My Walmart seems to have removed the ability to buy the Celebrate cards with a credit card now. I haz a sad.
Ok, it seems to be THAT particular WallyWorld. I managed to snag one today, but was told by the CSM that "the employee will get fired over this!" Sadly, I heard that after the transaction was completed.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Ok, it seems to be THAT particular WallyWorld. I managed to snag one today, but was told by the CSM that "the employee will get fired over this!" Sadly, I heard that after the transaction was completed.
They won't get fired. At best, if the store management sucks, they will issue a warning to the cashier if selling to CC is against policy. However, Wally would have it blocked in the register if that were the case. You can say a lot about the beast of Bentonville, but not that there are a lot of stupid people down there near XNA.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
They won't get fired. At best, if the store management sucks, they will issue a warning to the cashier if selling to CC is against policy. However, Wally would have it blocked in the register if that were the case. You can say a lot about the beast of Bentonville, but not that there are a lot of stupid people down there near XNA.
When I have cashiers say this to me, I let them know that if the register was coded not to allow then my transaction would not go through... I explain that if Corp really wanted it not to happen they can make it not happen. I usually get, "that makes sense."
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:35 pm

I know they won't get fired. I just don't like that they're telling people this crap. Means less and less cashiers are going to be willing to work with you.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I know they won't get fired. I just don't like that they're telling people this crap. Means less and less cashiers are going to be willing to work with you.
Not really, most are unskilled labor and trying to find another job isn't as easy for them, so they don't want to place thier job in jeopardy.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K;
An update on the U.S. Bank Visa card. Confirming that this still works (12/20/13).

Bought a $500. Variable Rate Visa Card at Fred Meyer (Kroger) in Seattle.
The receipt included a statement to call 1-866-952-5653 to establish a PIN.
The responses are: 1. "English" then 2. "other inquiries" then 3. "set PIN"
All done on iPhone in store ........ Piece of cake.

Then straight to CS and purchased a $500. MO
Price of GC was $5.95....MO was $.75
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by grayland
An update on the U.S. Bank Visa card. Confirming that this still works (12/20/13).

Did they ask you for your ID? If yes, did they enter your ID into the system?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by grayland

I apologize if this is covered some where, but is using the Visa pin gift cards and loading them into bluebird the same process as the MasterCard pin gift card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.