Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Could you tell us what kind of card you are using (visa or master, issued by what bank?)?

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Well some grocery chains especially in Northern CA are only cash or debit for GCs...
On another note, who determines the group members.. that's the hard bit..

I was able to use 2 GCs for a 1K MO at WM...no issues..
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:34 am

will die soon
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:34 am

Has anyone successfully ordered a $1000 visa GC from giftcardmall.com, put a PIN on it, and then used it at walmart to reload BB?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Which bank are your GCs issued? Thx!

I bought $1K MO with 2 $500 GCs.. in one transaction. Just need to let the cashier know that you will be using multiple cards.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
It's my understanding that only two types of the cards work right now for loading BB. Although, I have seen differing stories.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by karenfly
Which bank are your GCs issued? Thx!
Metabank...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Metabank...
Thanks for sharing this.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
Is the main reason people don't want to do this with PRG due to fear of AMEX FR? Using with moderation, getting 1k points for $5.95 seems like a fine deal especially if it helps you meet the 30k annual threshold.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by aduncan
Is the main reason people don't want to do this with PRG due to fear of AMEX FR? Using with moderation, getting 1k points for $5.95 seems like a fine deal especially if it helps you meet the 30k annual threshold.
I want to keep my BCP, so I don't want any foolishness with them. I have several other cards that give me 2+ points or percentage that I will leave this alone.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:53 pm

My experiment today:

1. I bought a $500 variable MC (I usually get Visa but they were out.) and a $100 fixed amount Visa. Kroger has a buy 2 MC or Visa or combo for $5.00 back coupon.
2. Called and had pins assigned to each.
3. Went to Walmart and asked to have the $500 put on my Bluebird. It never asked if I wanted to debit or credit and of course declined. The nice girl then tried to do it manually by saying it was a debit card, still no go.
4. Went to self-checkout and bought some eyeglass cleaner, I used the $100 visa and choose debit and voila it worked and got cash back also.
5. Bought a candy bar and used the $500 MC and picked debit but it went through as a credit.

Both cards are from US bank. I have had trouble with MC before trying to liquidate them so I usually buy Visa. I will go back to another Kroger tomorrow and see if they have The $500 Visa and try again.

I hope this info helps somebody in their experiments.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:42 pm

Purchased MO today at WM with gift card with PIN number attached. No issues, simply told cashier that I needed a MO and wanted to pay with debit card + .70 cash for the fee. Swiped card, pounded in pin and was done. Took about a minute. Too bad this was not available last year.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by babycakes01
Purchased MO today at WM with gift card with PIN number attached. No issues, simply told cashier that I needed a MO and wanted to pay with debit card + .70 cash for the fee. Swiped card, pounded in pin and was done. Took about a minute. Too bad this was not available last year.
What type of GC?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
jdl

If the PIN change is due to recent legislation, is there any reason to think AMEX GCs won't have the same requirement? I have seen no mention of AMEX adding PINs and no explanation of why AMEX would be exempt. Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by aduncan
Doesn't that work out to: $30,000 spend/$500 per card*5.95 fee per card = 35700 cents/(15,000 bonus points + 60,714 pts for the 2X spend) = 0.47cpp, assuming free loads to BB?

Edit: i assumed you'd buy the 60th card at full value even though it's not needed to reach the $30K spend.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Interesting..would like to know more about this coupon you found...Was it one use only?

>>>My experiment today:

>>>1. I bought a $500 variable MC (I usually get Visa but they were out.) and a $100 fixed amount Visa. Kroger has a buy 2 MC or Visa or combo for $5.00 back coupon.

Last edited by stealph; Apr 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm Reason: referenced post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.