Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:15 pm

Summary will go here.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Aerosfire
Not to throw a wrench in, but both of the variable load Visa I bought from Kroger were US Bank.

They both loaded to BB perfectly at Walmart.

I'm wondering if it depends more on the Walmart than the issuing bank?
That could be another theory. I noticed one person in this thread with metabank gift cards worked loading into BB in w regular WM, whereas another poster here failed to load metabank gift card into BB at a WM SuperStore. I don't know if that's the reason or not, but just throwing theories out there.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I am going to test after work. I said I would on Friday, but who in their right mind does these things after work on the warmest day of the year so far? Not me, that's for sure.

I will report back. I'm going to do a US Bank card. I have to drive further than I would like for the metabank.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Aerosfire
Not to throw a wrench in, but both of the variable load Visa I bought from Kroger were US Bank.

They both loaded to BB perfectly at Walmart.

I'm wondering if it depends more on the Walmart than the issuing bank?

EDIT: Sounds like there might be problems with the MC cards from US Bank, but Visa is OK?
Yes!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator
This is great. Thanks for sharing.

Could you also add 1 more test? Try using the Visa to load BB. Even if it's just using the $100 fixed value card, that would be good to know too.

Also, what bank are the Visa & MC issued by? Seems Metabank is much more of a sure thing...are either the Visa or MC from Metabank?
As I said both cards are from US Bank. I am going to try another Kroger for the $500 Visa tomorrow. The one I normally buy from was out. I debated about buying the MC because I have had problems with them before.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by adamhoolhorst
Any way to load BB online vs going into WM?
{
Gift Horse

Mouth
}
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Ok folks. I loaded my BB at Walton's Superstore of Hell with a US Bank branded $200 (testing purposes) variable load Visa. I'm a very happy camper. I need to reeducate myself on the daily limits again.

Important note:

The number to call and add the pin was not on the receipt. I had to call the grocer help line and they transferred me. Pin set up was painless.

Last edited by TheDapperDon; Apr 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm Reason: Important tips
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:57 pm

$500 variable load US bank visa. Bought vegetable oil and got $80 cash back at walmart. Then went to customer service and loaded $400 on BB. Since I bought GC at Kroger, miles are free.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
$500 variable load US bank visa. Bought vegetable oil and got $80 cash back at walmart. Then went to customer service and loaded $400 on BB. Since I bought GC at Kroger, miles are free.
Edit: Removed.

Last edited by Aerosfire; Apr 10, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:22 pm

For what its worth, I discussed PIN setup with a rep from Bancorp re: Vanilla Visa GC and the CSR said that the pin feature goes online for all their cards tomorrow (4/9/13)
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by schcas
For what its worth, I discussed PIN setup with a rep from Bancorp re: Vanilla Visa GC and the CSR said that the pin feature goes online for all their cards tomorrow (4/9/13)
^Excellent news. That opens up things some more.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
what credit cards are most people using to take this route? For VRs at cvs, i dont think any card gives more advantage then the other.
Also, the cvs is stocked with VRs - dont know if it makes sense to change strategies(for me).

Last edited by arsenalman; Apr 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
I didn't know that you could load it at customer service. That's good to know since the registers are never staffed correctly.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by arsenalman
what credit cards are most people using to take this route? For VRs at cvs, i dont think any card gives more advantage then the other.
Also, the cvs is stocked with VRs - dont know if it makes sense to change strategies(for me).
I don't feel comfy doing the $500 purchases with Amex. I fear a financial review. I have several other grocery cards.

What are the thoughts on using BCP?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:20 pm

Those successful with MO and cash back and BB loads, are you registering the cards online first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.