Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by lkar
You weren't acting like you hated the thread or FT back on third page or so when you were posting gleefuly about it being a game changer.

Do some deals go quickly? Yes, some. Others have been around a long time and have 200 page threads. Here is the bottom line: deals are going to come and go, but by and large, they are like busses. There is alwys another one coming.

Sometimes you will learn about a deal on the internet, or learn to perfect one. Sometimes you will have a golden goose and it will get blown when it goes public. Just how it goes. As I said, there's always another one around the corner. I don't know about anyone else, but I am racking up more points and miles in the overexposed blog days than I was a couple years ago. The bigger problem is on the redemption side, dealing with devaluations and taxes and redemption hurdles.

I understand it sucks when you have a cool technique that gets blown, but it will be days before you find another one -- maybe even on a blog.

What especially drives me crazy is when people act like the were pioneers on every technique and don't learn anything from FT or blogs. I believe there are a few like that, but I think what is just as often going on is someone learns a technique on FT and then, once they are in the boat, quickly wants to pull the rope up before anyone else gets in.
Thank you, very nicely said!!!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: A few
y'all are definitely overestimating the number of people willing to buy gc's and then trundle to wm to buy mo's and then trundle to the bank to deposit them on any kind of scale that would threaten the deal. this one is a niche and no amount of boxes and arrows will change that
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:19 am

Has anyone used these $1000 prepaid Visa debit cards to pay their property taxes? There is a $3.95 charge to use a debit card versus a $24.90 charge to use a credit card. Their system seems to auto detect if it is debit or credit.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
y'all are definitely overestimating the number of people willing to buy gc's and then trundle to wm to buy mo's and then trundle to the bank to deposit them on any kind of scale that would threaten the deal. this one is a niche and no amount of boxes and arrows will change that
Yep, after thinking this thru, my time is more valuable. Will stick with my current methods for now.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've previously deposited thousands in MO's at a bank on a regular basis and no one batted an eye. I don't see a problem here.
(probably a silly question but . . . ) do you fill out the "From" section of the MO? Fictional names? I would think the bank only cares about the person receiving the deposit.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
It's a LOT less weight to trundle than 19lb boxes of coins!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by st.exupery
(probably a silly question but . . . ) do you fill out the "From" section of the MO? Fictional names? I would think the bank only cares about the person receiving the deposit.

The first time I tried with my name as both. That got rejected so I crossed it out and put my dad's name since he was with me.

Going forward I've kind of scribbled an imaginary name that is not exactly legible. Seems to be working fine. Curious what others are doing here as well.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Why would you have to put anything in the FROM section? Leave it blank.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:07 am

Wife was introduced the other day to the grocery store district manager by the manager responsible for the gift card section as "the reason the store has been the top gift card seller each of the past four months." So proud. Been stocking up for the day BB lifts that pesky $5k/month limit and before the grocery cap takes effect (though with the conflicting cc statements I can't figure out when the heck that is). Not quite clear yet how much the PIN thing is going to help beyond saving four VRs a month. This week each gift card printed out with a receipt advertising the availability of a PIN, so it was going public anyway.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I think beans and gcs are the play here. Not everyone has a great drugstore card that helps for beans. I plan to use both of these methods. I'm hoping that the other wally world will let me buy beans with debit cards. If not, I will stick with charlie victor sierra and gcs from the grocery store.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:43 am
Suspended

how many times can you split a money order transaction at walmart? Is three doable?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:54 am

I just got cash back at Walmart!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by DarrellDoesDallas
Yes, all the time until the noodle head OP started this thread!!!
they either pulled them or ran out of inventory
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure
how many times can you split a money order transaction at walmart? Is three doable?
I did 4 yesterday.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
I did 4 yesterday.
Max: 4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.