Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
To prevent using a PIN? Seems like a dumb question, but wouldn't that sort of be at cross-purposes with the law?

What worries me is what comes after that.
If they did push something out to their POS, it would be to automatically prompt for the PIN since its cheaper to process. There are companies that sell an updated database of BIN numbers of cards that have PINS. That way retailers can automatically prompt for paying making it harder for the average customer to process the card as credit at a higher rate.

My guess is as more and more people use the PIN these cards will become cash only as their swipe revenue goes down, leading to lower commissions for retailers selling gift cards.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:12 pm

I tried loading at the service desk with a $50 MC gift card and was denied. Had setup the PIN earlier at giftcardmall.com/mygiftcard. Didn't try the regular cashiers, would that be any different?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by st.exupery
(probably a silly question but . . . ) do you fill out the "From" section of the MO? Fictional names? I would think the bank only cares about the person receiving the deposit.
I always leave the 'from' blank and fill in the 'to' made out to me.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by glynot
I tried loading at the service desk with a $50 MC gift card and was denied. Had setup the PIN earlier at giftcardmall.com/mygiftcard. Didn't try the regular cashiers, would that be any different?
Was it MetaBank or Vanilla MC? What is the bank it's backed by?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:03 am

Bought a variable amount ($20 - $500) MC gift card issued by US Bank. Loaded it with $500 at supermarket on checkout. Called to set up a PIN. Card would not work to load BB. Never even asked me for the pin number that i had set up.

Bought a fixed value $100 Visa GC issued by Metabank. Called to set up pin. Card worked fine to load BB as debit transaction.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by StuckinKC
In response to the questions, I was at a Walmart super. Tried both a cashier lane and the customer service line. I was already at 5k for the month thru VR but thought I could still add up to the 10k as long as I didn't exceed 1k per day. I will try to call from work tomorrow and get clarification from them. There seems to be so much inaccurate info floating around that perhaps I am confused regarding the guidelines.
Nevermind what I posted earlier. This is your problem. The limit of monthly load (its in the BB faqs) is 5K per month, not 10K.
You can have a TOTAL of 10K on deposit at any one time that has been loaded by VR or debit but it'll take two months to get there.
When in doubt - read the T&C's
https://bluebird.com/faqs#fees-and-limits
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by shoreline
I have not tried going over $5k but it seems that some reported being able to go over $5k by direct deposit (but not through loading from other venues).

Someone may correct me if this is incorrect. The info. may also be located on their site under T&C (which you might want to read before calling).
^ ^
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by maijojacob
Yes AMEX doesn't give you 5%/6% on Gift Card purchases as per the T&C
Yes, but how would they know if if I purchased 70 in groceries and 100 in a gift card?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:47 am

another success for usbank

i also bought a variable amount ($20 - $500) visa gift card issued by US Bank. Loaded it with $500 at Kroger on checkout. Called to set up a PIN. worked at walmart with $100 cash back. did not work at target. brand new to this so trying to figure out where else to try it. don't have/want BB yet.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by fangtl
Yes, but how would they know if if I purchased 70 in groceries and 100 in a gift card?
maybe because different items in the store are coded differently (not everything is food).

so GC is coded as a GC.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jk2
After posting about this deal, I got some negative PMs with "you shouldn't post about it" line. Since I believe that I owe to FT a lot (since I learned many new things here), I decided to share the information about this "GC+PIN" deal.

I was thinking about posting about another deal I am aware of but after such comments I'm not sure I should do it. OK, maybe this is not a big deal since it is only about extra $1K/month in free spending + moneypacks (if somebody can buy them using CC).
I would like a PM, if you don't mind.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by redarmy
Same here with BB load but unable to buy MO.
Is this a normal cashier? Or do I have to do it at the money area?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by jk2
After posting about this deal, I got some negative PMs with "you shouldn't post about it" line. Since I believe that I owe to FT a lot (since I learned many new things here), I decided to share the information about this "GC+PIN" deal.

I was thinking about posting about another deal I am aware of but after such comments I'm not sure I should do it. OK, maybe this is not a big deal since it is only about extra $1K/month in free spending + moneypacks (if somebody can buy them using CC).
Could you please PM me for this, thank you!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Gammachu
Was it MetaBank or Vanilla MC? What is the bank it's backed by?
I also tried 50 MC issued by US Bank at Walmart regular cashier. Didn't work.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by jk2

please send to me too! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.