Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by dogbyte
I have a Staples right next to a Walmart! I won't have to use AP to unload these cards anymore and can use a credit card for sending funds through AP now.
Is there a toys r us next to it too?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:08 pm

Seriously?? I have been using the gc website for a while now, and now it doesn't work when you go to purchase a card. I seriously am starting to hate all the people who won't keep their mouths shut.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog
Anybody tried to buy $1k card from giftcardmall.com?
Yes, all the time until the ... OP started this thread!!!

Last edited by mia; Apr 7, 2013 at 1:40 pm Reason: Remove personal characterization.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Well some grocery chains especially in Northern CA are only cash or debit for GCs...
On another note, who determines the group members.. that's the hard bit..

I was able to use 2 GCs for a 1K MO at WM...no issues..
Would you happen to know which bank was the issuer? Seems like GCs issued by US Bank are no go at WM, at least not for me...
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by DarrellDoesDallas
Yes, all the time until the ... OP started this thread!!!
That's not cool.

If it really bothers you so much when people share, why even be here?

Last edited by mia; Apr 7, 2013 at 1:41 pm Reason: Edit quoted text
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:15 pm

You weren't acting like you hated the thread or FT back on third page or so when you were posting gleefuly about it being a game changer.

Do some deals go quickly? Yes, some. Others have been around a long time and have 200 page threads. Here is the bottom line: deals are going to come and go, but by and large, they are like busses. There is alwys another one coming.

Sometimes you will learn about a deal on the internet, or learn to perfect one. Sometimes you will have a golden goose and it will get blown when it goes public. Just how it goes. As I said, there's always another one around the corner. I don't know about anyone else, but I am racking up more points and miles in the overexposed blog days than I was a couple years ago. The bigger problem is on the redemption side, dealing with devaluations and taxes and redemption hurdles.

I understand it sucks when you have a cool technique that gets blown, but it will be days before you find another one -- maybe even on a blog.

What especially drives me crazy is when people act like the were pioneers on every technique and don't learn anything from FT or blogs. I believe there are a few like that, but I think what is just as often going on is someone learns a technique on FT and then, once they are in the boat, quickly wants to pull the rope up before anyone else gets in.

That's the entire point. I don't know if what we do anymore is still considered sharing. It seems like over the last year or so, and maybe Im wrong or overreacting, but it seems like once something is posted on FT it's gone in a week or so. The blogs get money from hawking their links and getting money through ad space, so they don't care if they kill deals... heck they would probably kill every deal if it meant more traffic to their site.

Go run the analytics on MMS's site. See how much traffic he gets when he posts something he "found on FT" versus one of his interview pieces or random "moms first trip to xyz." Just sayins, we all know its true. Anything we post on here aint stayin on here.

I owe a lot to FT. I went from 100 to 200k miles per year with business travel and other business related miles to way more than that once I actually started implementing some strategies I had always read on here but never actually attempted.

It's a fine line, and idk where it is.... prob just miffed that the PIN cat out of the bag will end up ruining the gc game, and wouldn't be surprised to see gc outlets on the internet stop offering cc gcs
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
+1, I agree with your point.

Originally Posted by lkar
You weren't acting like you hated the thread or FT back on third page or so when you were posting gleefuly about it being a game changer.

Do some deals go quickly? Yes, some. Others have been around a long time and have 200 page threads. Here is the bottom line: deals are going to come and go, but by and large, they are like busses. There is alwys another one coming.

Sometimes you will learn about a deal on the internet, or learn to perfect one. Sometimes you will have a golden goose and it will get blown when it goes public. Just how it goes. As I said, there's always another one around the corner. I don't know about anyone else, but I am racking up more points and miles in the overexposed blog days than I was a couple years ago. The bigger problem is on the redemption side, dealing with devaluations and taxes and redemption hurdles.

I understand it sucks when you have a cool technique that gets blown, but it will be days before you find another one -- maybe even on a blog.

What especially drives me crazy is when people act like the were pioneers on every technique and don't learn anything from FT or blogs. I believe there are a few like that, but I think what is just as often going on is someone learns a technique on FT and then, once they are in the boat, quickly wants to pull the rope up before anyone else gets in.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:49 pm

It really is luck of the draw. Some drugstore employees are like that and some are very nice about it. My wife went to one grocery store and the manager pitched a fit saying cash only even for retail gift cards. At another store of the same chain the manager was completely ok with it even when I had to call CC company twice and try the transaction 3 times to get it to go through. Best thing is just try and find a store or employee who is ok with it and save yourself the hassle.

Just bought a $500 GC at a grocery store. What a difference compared to buying beans. They acted like a swiss safety deposit bank. Angry customers in line behind me. Needed a manager with a key, scrutinized license, the whole deal. PITA really.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:57 pm

I already stated my possible over reaction to the blog thing and as I was going through the thread I do have to apologize to the OP, bc it wasn't him that actually said gcmall.

And it is a game changer, instead of pushing all the cc gcs I bought on those gc outlet sites through the jungle, now I have a much easier way to cycle.

I just got upset and ticked that when I went to those sites to buy a card they all say "We have experienced an error and are unable to show your requested page at this time" when I try to buy a gc. I mean crap, it hasn't even been one day since the MMS blog post and since someone on this thread actually gave the name of the website... one day is all it took

So yes I was venting, and I do appreciate your post to make me realize how quick jubilation went to sadness... that's life on FT these days
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:00 pm

No go for me with Vanilla Visa GC at WM for MO, the GC was shown as CC.

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
I was able to use 2 GCs for a 1K MO at WM...no issues..
Originally Posted by nep301
Tried using a Vanilla Visa (issued by Bancorp Bank) and a Visa GC (issued by U.S. Bank) to purchase a money order at WM. Both the customer service desk and automated machine would not allow the transactions to go through as debit.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:06 pm

I just got upset and ticked that when I went to those sites to buy a card they all say "We have experienced an error and are unable to show your requested page at this time" when I try to buy a gc. I mean crap, it hasn't even been one day since the MMS blog post and since someone on this thread actually gave the name of the website... one day is all it took

So yes I was venting, and I do appreciate your post to make me realize how quick jubilation went to sadness... that's life on FT these days
Try again tomorrow -- you never know. Maybe it is just technical difficulties. I had a golden goose debit card. Everyone staryed getting shut down. I tried to log on for two days and couldn't. I figured I was shut down. Then, voila, it worked. I eeked another month out of the thing. You never know, and even if it doesn't work, maybe you will get an idea for a way to use gift plus pin that is almost as good. Just gotta stay a half step ahrad of the "cardinals" to use the metaphor de jure.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've previously deposited thousands in MO's at a bank on a regular basis and no one batted an eye. I don't see a problem here.
I understand. I guess it depends if you reach their threshold for having "enough" of you. It happens a lot when you hit their #.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tonyflyer
No go for me with Vanilla Visa GC at WM for MO, the GC was shown as CC.
I bought the $500 US Bank card and will test it out at WM tomorrow to load BB. I wont be attempting to purchase money order since I have no need for them. I will report back.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:26 am

deleted

Last edited by milester; Apr 13, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by lahaina
it should ease up the demand for the VR's , no?
Absolutely. At least until the supply of gcs runs out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.