Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Those successful with MO and cash back and BB loads, are you registering the cards online first?
Yes
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Two $500 US Bank issued MCs successfully loaded BB at WM for me. I did have to go through a couple extra steps after swiping which I can't recall right now, because WM wanted to treat the card as credit. But somehow I was eventually given the option to select a debit as my payment option and it went through fine. But in each case, I had to go through the whole process - there was no way to select debit from the start, that option only appeared after inability of WM to process as credit.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Two $500 US Bank issued MCs successfully loaded BB at WM for me. I did have to go through a couple extra steps after swiping which I can't recall right now, because WM wanted to treat the card as credit. But somehow I was eventually given the option to select a debit as my payment option and it went through fine. But in each case, I had to go through the whole process - there was no way to select debit from the start, that option only appeared after inability of WM to process as credit.
Interesting...too bad you did it 2 times and don't remember the couple of extra steps you had to do. Thanks for the datapoint, however, regarding MCs.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I don't feel comfy doing the $500 purchases with Amex. I fear a financial review. I have several other grocery cards.

What are the thoughts on using BCP?
If you have stated the correct income on the app, you shouldnt be worried about the FR
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
I don't feel comfy doing the $500 purchases with Amex. I fear a financial review. I have several other grocery cards.

What are the thoughts on using BCP?

a $500 purchase is nothing -_-
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rockingsd
Not sure why you had a problem. I brought a 500$ visa gc issued by metabank from a local grocery store. Registered it on giftcardmall.com, set a pin. Then went to walmart, gave my BB card to the cashier asked her to reload it with 300$. She asked me to swipe my card to pay for it. I swiped the GC, it asked me to enter pin immediately. Entered the pin, and the BB card was loaded with 300$. Everything was fine.
Perhaps we need to find the one issued by MetaBank. So far USBank issued card didn't work for me, but it worked for someone else in another state at walmart.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by schcas
For what its worth, I discussed PIN setup with a rep from Bancorp re: Vanilla Visa GC and the CSR said that the pin feature goes online for all their cards tomorrow (4/9/13)
^ Very good update!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:26 am

Last edited by WhateverDude; Apr 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by indelible
a $500 purchase is nothing -_-
True, but what if I rinse, was, and repeat.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
For the metabank variable load Visa cards, I called the number on the back of the card. It starts with 866. The automated system asks you to enter the card number, expiration date, and security code. Then you listen to further options and one of them is to "set up or change your pin."

For the US Bank variable load MC that i attempted to use, i was able to call and set up the PIN in the same fashion (but this card didn't work for me as a debit purchase anywhere).

NO. For the metabank variable load cards, I call the number on the back of the card from the car as I'm driving to Walmart, establish a pin, and by the time i get to Walmart I can load the BB with this card and it prompts me for the pin just like a normal PIN transaction. Why bother registering the cards when they are going to have zero balance in a few minutes and no risk of loss. I could understand if you're going to use it for debit transactions over the next few weeks/months, in case you lose it.
I wonder why US Bank didn't work for you. Also, my card only had the website on the back,, not the phone number. Weird.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:30 am

I wonder why US Bank didn't work for you. Also, my card only had the website on the back,, not the phone number. Weird.
I double checked...and you're right. The US bank MC card had no number, just a website.

Last edited by WhateverDude; Apr 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:35 am

I purchased a variable visa from Jewel. I didn't receive fuel points for the purchase. I set the pin over the phone and drove to Walmart. Cash back didn't work. My fixed value visa lets me get cash back.

I was able to load BB and purchase a money order with the variable visa. This visa is from Metabank.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:39 am

Odd. It seems the variable meta visas allow BB loads, + MO purhcase and not cash back.

Variable USB Visas confirmed to allow cash back, MOs, and BB load.

Last edited by WhateverDude; Apr 10, 2013 at 3:59 pm
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:50 am

Odd. It seems the variable meta visas allow BB loads, but not MO purhcase and not cash back.

We've got some good testing done. I want to vary purchase locations and cards to keep the banks off my case. WhateverDude, do you have the phone number available? I need to add it to my phone. I can see that I will be doing alot of these purchases.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Odd. It seems the variable meta visas allow BB loads, but not MO purhcase and not cash back.

Wrong.. variable load Visa from Metabank allows MOs at WM.. Did it again last night..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.