Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
travelocity has an AMEX that is 4% on all spend. I cant put enough spend on that thing.
I only saw 2%...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I only saw 2%...
I think its grandfathered in.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
travelocity has an AMEX that is 4% on all spend.
I think its grandfathered in.
Barclays "had" a card which awarded 4% in Travelocity credit. the rewards program is different for new applicants. Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-now-amex.html
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:58 am
mia

Moderator action

Several posts requesting PM contact have been removed. If you wish to communicate by PM, use the PM system to initiate the conversation.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
If you wish to communicate by PM, use the PM system to initiate the conversation.
Well...that's just crazy talk
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:38 am

As a data point: I've had success with the 5.95 fee cards. If anyone's had success with the 4.95 one's I'd love to hear it. If you need more details please reach out.

Also, does anyone know of a larger bank that has a solid mobile deposit system allowing MO's? Chase rings a bell, but are there others?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:39 am
mia

Originally Posted by Stoughton
...crazy...
That's how moderators are selected .
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:49 am

Chase is waiving fees on their pre-paid debit cards and you can set a PIN on them http://thepointsguy.com/2013/04/fees...=Google+Reader
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by debtinator
As a data point: I've had success with the 5.95 fee cards. If anyone's had success with the 4.95 one's I'd love to hear it. If you need more details please reach out.

Also, does anyone know of a larger bank that has a solid mobile deposit system allowing MO's? Chase rings a bell, but are there others?
I didn't know that MO could be deposited through a mobile system. Interesting.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
I have not been successful trying to do this with Chase, Fidelity, ING, ST. Like debtinator, I'd love to hear if anyone has found a bank to do this with.

Last edited by greek2me; Apr 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First

I don't know of any FI that allows mobile deposits of MO.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:58 am

The mobile system is limited and only allows you to do a certain amount per day as I'm sure you know. Either way, most ATM's take MOs no problem.

Anyone else going to jump on the Chase deal?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by jonnyd13
The mobile system is limited and only allows you to do a certain amount per day as I'm sure you know. Either way, most ATM's take MOs no problem.

Anyone else going to jump on the Chase deal?
I am getting a weird error.
You have Exceeded Attempts. Your card is not eligible for the program.
My bro and my wife are getting the same error (same home address)..
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Didn't someone say he bought an onion? Healthier than gum though not especially pleasant to chew on while driving to the bank.
A $1k MO costs .70. That's a lot less hassle. I just use my bank's app to deposit them. Seems like less of a hassle than ringing up 9 separate transactions for a pepper.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Barclays "had" a card which awarded 4% in Travelocity credit. the rewards program is different for new applicants. Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-now-amex.html
Technically they still "have" the card but you are right its no longer avail to new applicants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.