Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by steventravel
I just tried and it DOESN'T WORK on Variables

Still a good deal if you shop at Safeway.
Has anyone tried to use the $10 off coupon to buy another MC GC? I'm guessing this won't be allowed, but I think it's worth a try. At that point, who needs groceries?!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:18 pm
jmw

Does it spit out two coupons for a $200 MC and give 400 gas points? I'll try within the next few days, but maybe someone can try earlier.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by dovergator
Has anyone tried to use the $10 off coupon to buy another MC GC? I'm guessing this won't be allowed, but I think it's worth a try. At that point, who needs groceries?!
FWIW some J4U Personalized Deals currently have a "earn 5X with purchase of Best Buy GC". Trying to use the $10 off coupon to buy a BBGC is certainly less ambitious and definitely not sustainable, but seems like better odds.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dovergator
IME and according to a chatty Safeway CSR last week, no GCs (unless a Manager overrides it) and nothing prohibited by federal law (e.g. dairy and tobacco--they are hard coded). Sorry to disappoint.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:40 am

I just posted this in the Safeway/Univision thread but thought I'd add my story here as well.

Looks like Safeway is becoming YMMV.

The Safeway nearest me had no problems/questions with me buying gift cards in the past. I went in yesterday to buy one and the cashier said, "you know this is debit only?" I say sure, even though I was going to use an AGC. The system needed manager override for some reason, even though it was under $500 by a nickel so she calls the manager over and as soon as he approves it I swipe the AGC and hit credit/debit, right as he tells me it's debit only. He asks to see the card and my ID, which I hand to him. By this point the screen is asking for my signature and he realized it didn't go through as debit and asks me whether I hit credit or debit on the screen. I told him truthfully that I hit the Credit/Debit key, as there was no straight up Debit option. He turns to the cashier and says, "I'm going to put up a big sign everywhere that says CASH ONLY for these."

What's crazy is he brought me over to the customer service area and called to try and get the transaction reversed. Obviously I argued that it had already gone through. He finally relented and said that gift cards can't be used to buy other gift cards. I won't be going back to that location.

Also of interest though, is that another Safeway in my area has put up a chart on every register showing what can be used to purchase each type of gift card, and it specifically allows gift cards (but not ReloadIts) to be purchased with gift cards. They also ask for ID with every transaction now to see if it matches the card. They see the gift card, check the chart and then ok it. One cashier told me they're being pressed to follow all of the rules with gift cards.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by dboston1
"I'm going to put up a big sign everywhere that says CASH ONLY for these."
So he is violating Safeway policy
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
So he is violating Safeway policy
Managerial discretion. I've seen this in high-crime areas. No real customer recourse and best to just shop elsewhere. I suppose you could phone and complain to a Safeway CSR, if you really wanted to stir that pot.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:14 am

Here's the chart that was put up at the Safeway that continues to allow me to purchase with gift cards: http://imgur.com/hkHfDzR

I was worried that the variable load cards were considered "Pre-Paid (non-denominational)" but apparently that isn't the case.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:42 am
jmw

This is nothing new. My area has lots of cash only Safeways. There are friendly Safeway stores as well. YMMV.

Don't stir the pot. Some of us are able to slip through with prepaids at cash only Safeways and would rather not waste time and gas going to friendlier stores that are further away.

Why are you paying with AGC? You should be using a 5% cashback credit card at Safeway and forget the AGC business if you don't know how to liquidate elsewhere.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by jmw

Why are you paying with AGC? You should be using a 5% cashback credit card at Safeway and forget the AGC business if you don't know how to liquidate elsewhere.
If you get stuck with a AGC, liquidating it via VGC purchase is simple, quick and painless, vs. other more cumbersome/complex methods.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
I think that this AGC business worked better at CVS, but now that Vanilla cards are more difficult to unload, people are getting desperate.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:43 pm

New 10 dollar coupon with purchase of 100 dollar mastercard! End on 8/12/2014. Any good thought ? the coupon is 10 dollar off on 25 dollar purchase
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by shawnchan
New 10 dollar coupon with purchase of 100 dollar mastercard! End on 8/12/2014. Any good thought ? the coupon is 10 dollar off on 25 dollar purchase
Good thought? Depends on if you have a baby The 10 off 25 coupon works great for me to buy formula at a reasonable discount.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:58 pm
jmw

With a 5% cashback card and the $6 GC fee, you are paying a buck to get a $10 coupon that is really worth about $8 or so when considering Safeway's overpriced merchandise. I think it's worth it as long as you can use the coupon.

FYI - The $100 MC gift card stopped giving out 2x gas rewards earlier this week.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:47 am

Off-topic but check your J4U:

National Cheesecake Day is July 30th
EARN 8X FUEL POINTS
Earn 8x Fuel points on every Cheesecake Factory Gift Card purchase.* one-time expires 7/31/2014

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.