Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
How is it false advertisement? It is still 10 off your next purchase, which is what the ad states.
never been in litigation- huh?

what you just said is incorrect. it is NOT still 10 off next purchase. if your NEXT PURCHASE is $14, you're not getting $10 off, now are you?

it's bait and switch. it's only accurate advertising if it's 10 off 10. anything else they have to change the wording.

bad timing for me to go to the bay area, as, yes, the stores near me are all saying cash only for all but store gift cards. wondering if there was a district decision. if i'd been in TX with 2 x $200 printing 4 10 of 10's, i'd have hammered this the past few days. ehh...
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Yes, it changed today in bay area. Yesterday the coupons are all $10 of $10. Today is $10 of $25. But you do not need manager to override today. It does exclude diary product.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:25 am

With regard to Bay Area Safeways only accepting cash, there's a teenager who has been running rampant in the North Bay using stolen credit cards. He used stolen credit card to rent a $240,000 car, also to rent several very expensive homes and his latest is buying gift cards with stolen credit cards at Safeways up and down the North Bay coast. All Safeways in this area require cash for gift cards and money orders.

From the local paper: "investigating Safeway's concerns found that two men had been entering grocery stores along the North Coast this spring, using bogus credit cards to buy gift cards such as pre-paid Visas. They purchased between $5,000 and $7,000 worth of cards per visit, doing this more than 20 times, George said. The large sums raised red flags for Safeway, he added."
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:46 am

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...cles/140619466

7K a day is a bit too much, but sadly we all do close to that - remember they are watching us more and more and we are not stealing, but they will start to clamp down if we go hog wild.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by raccah
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...cles/140619466

7K a day is a bit too much, but sadly we all do close to that - remember they are watching us more and more and we are not stealing, but they will start to clamp down if we go hog wild.
This is almost unbelievable. How does this guy get away with buying $7K worth of GC in one sitting, when I can't barely buy $500 without getting looked up and down, and the manager called on me.

Something in that story just doesn't add up.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:20 am

That's shady for them to change the $10 min to $25 min. I plan to bring my $10 off coupon with me if they print out the "newer" version...and go to the customer service desk. Maybe ask for a $10 gift card?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:08 pm

Not sure if this was an anomaly or a system change. I have previously bought two $200 Visa GCs in separate transactions and received two $10 off coupons each time. Today I bought two $200 Visa GCs in one transaction and no coupons printed out. I did enter my rewards # so it should have registered. The service desk gave me a $10 Safeway GC since the official verbage is 1 coupon per transaction.

With a 5% cashback card I still came out ahead on the transaction, but my next test will likely be a $100 or $200 Visa GC at a different store to see if the coupon prints out.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
$100 printed $10 off $25.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:38 pm

I bought one $200 card on Friday at one North Texas Tom Thumb and got two coupons for $10 off. I tried to spend one on a $22 purchase of exclusively meat items and it didn't credit. The coupon appeared as 1 cent off. Three cashiers were clustered around the register trying to figure out why. A manager finally did an override to give me the $10 off.

Later, I tried to buy another card at a different North Texas Tom Thumb, but was told that all gift card purchases were cash only. I asked about debit cards, but was told nope, all gift cards were cash only.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Went to Vons today to do my normal weekly grocery shopping and remembered this deal. Picked one up and checked out with that before my groceries. 2x$10 coupons spit out. Asked the cashier to split the grocery order once we reach $25 on the first order. Coupon doesn't work. Manger has the cashier do a 2x$5 discount (which doesn't require an override card). The rest of the groceries go thru as a second order. This time the coupon scans just fine.

So, 20 off of my normal grocery shopping isn't too bad (minus the 6.95 purchase fee which is kinda crazy since the variables have a 5.95 fee). My theory on the first one is that the first grouping of groceries contained milk and when that was subtracted from the total, it went below the 25 threshold.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by annhedonia
With regard to Bay Area Safeways only accepting cash, there's a teenager who has been running rampant in the North Bay using stolen credit cards. He used stolen credit card to rent a $240,000 car, also to rent several very expensive homes and his latest is buying gift cards with stolen credit cards at Safeways up and down the North Bay coast. All Safeways in this area require cash for gift cards and money orders.

From the local paper: "investigating Safeway's concerns found that two men had been entering grocery stores along the North Coast this spring, using bogus credit cards to buy gift cards such as pre-paid Visas. They purchased between $5,000 and $7,000 worth of cards per visit, doing this more than 20 times, George said. The large sums raised red flags for Safeway, he added."
Wow, didn't know this. No wonder all my Safeways around me in Benicia are cash only.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:57 pm

Used few $10 off's I printed 2 days back... no issues what so ever. they didn't even reinforce 1/day/pp. It sucks that they changed the terms mid-way, I still have $130 worth to use though
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:01 am

Great info! So you just scanned all of them in one purchase ? Care to explain a little more on the contents of your cart etc. Was there an override involved ?

Originally Posted by coolblues
Used few $10 off's I printed 2 days back... no issues what so ever. they didn't even reinforce 1/day/pp. It sucks that they changed the terms mid-way, I still have $130 worth to use though
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by coolblues
Used few $10 off's I printed 2 days back... no issues what so ever
So the cash register automatically took $10 off your $10+ grocery purchase ?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:34 am

If you buy a $20-500 variable VGC at Vons, does that qualify? How many coupons do you expect to get?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.