Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheExplorer
This sounds like it could be an awesome deal right, especially if you shop at Safeway and if you could use the self-checkout to pay for these cards? I wonder if you can do five or so transactions at the self-checkout and receive 5 coupons as well? If anyone can give me a heads up, I will be trying this today as well after exams!!
You have to ring them up separately.
Going thru self-checkout also requires an override from the associate for all giftcards/prepaid cards so might be a hassle.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:27 am

Jewel Osco promotion

Not sure if it is OT for this thread but there is new promo at Jewel Osco - might be available at Safeway/Vons etc. I posted details on -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-store-gc.html
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:32 am

Is getting gas points for VGCs or MCGCs YMMV? Just brought a $490 VGC at Safeway yesterday but didn't get any gas points. This was my first time at a Safeway so I had to sign up for the card.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Nucstorm
Is getting gas points for VGCs or MCGCs YMMV ?
Safeway does not award any gas points for unreloadable MCGCs and VGCs
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:12 pm

Loving the deal. Luckily, there are 2 working WM Kiosks around where I live that happen to be working right now, so it is easy to liquidate the $100 MC GC.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by WirelessP

Not my experience. Bought another $100 MC and >$10 asst groceries, used previous $10 off coupon, no problem & got another $10 off
I've done the same on a couple occasions, but I'm wondering if this is worth it.

Scaling this up, you can buy 10
MC and get 10 coupons of $10, each having to be used separately. You'd pay $60 in fees. With a 5x card, you get $50 back, so net -$10.

The alternative is to buy 2 $500 gift cards. Fee is $12, and after 5x savings, net is +$38. Compared to 10 $100, this is +$48. No coupons, but potential gas points and a lot less work. (Heaven forbid no working WM kiosk)
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've done the same on a couple occasions, but I'm wondering if this is worth it.
No gas points for MC/Visa cards in Bay Area (exception is Univision, but that does not print the $10 coupon)

However, for the 5x card, I would get the Visa variable ones as those have much less of a hassle of unloading.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by kxc262
No gas points for MC/Visa cards in Bay Area (exception is Univision, but that does not print the $10 coupon)

However, for the 5x card, I would get the Visa variable ones as those have much less of a hassle of unloading.
I agree-- even without gas points, with a 5x card, the hassle of unloading 5 $100 gc is not worth the $10 Vons coupon. Also, my sister was able to get gas points with AMEX variable gc, as long as you buy it with something else. I think FM wrote about this a while ago.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Safeway does not award any gas points for unreloadable MCGCs and VGCs
So is there anyway to get gas points off of GCs?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Nucstorm
So is there anyway to get gas points off of GCs?
Other than generic GC's, the most talked about way to do this is with the Univision card, but it's probably on its death watch.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:20 pm

I agree-- even without gas points, with a 5x card, the hassle of unloading 5 $100 gc is not worth the $10 Vons coupon. Also, my sister was able to get gas points with AMEX variable gc, as long as you buy it with something else. I think FM wrote about this a while ago.
Ah thanks for the tip. I didn't think AMEX variable GC gave gas points, but if you get them when you buy other things, it might be a good way to get those fuel points.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA AA MR UR
My store has been out of $100 MC GC for a week. Asked about restocking, but kept telling me maybe in a couple of days.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dimmysummer
My store has been out of $100 MC GC for a week. Asked about restocking, but kept telling me maybe in a couple of days.
You could just get a variable MC, and go to customer service - tell them the coupon did not print. They will give a $10 giftcard or $10 cash. Takes a bit longer than usual, but ends in the same result.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:20 pm

MC and get 10 coupons of $10, each having to be used separately. You'd pay $60 in fees. With a 5x card, you get $50 back, so net -$10.

The alternative is to buy 2 $500 gift cards. Fee is $12, and after 5x savings, net is +$38. Compared to 10 $100, this is +$48. No coupons, but potential gas points and a lot less work. (Heaven forbid no working WM kiosk)
Yeh, I gotcha. I'm not trying to scale, just meeting the Exec min spend as cheaply as possible. Luckily I've got grocery competition in my local area, seems like there's always a small GC deal on. And a neighborhood WM across the street with no lines.

Last couple weeks I got 2x gas rewards on GC @SW tho...a nice oversight that was fixed over the weekend.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:44 pm

You are not including coupon value.
10 x 5.95 in fees= -59.50
10 x $10 off coupon = $100

+$40.50
Plus points, cash back, whatever.

But why not mix and match, if the coupons are working to cover fees.
Buy $500 card for 5.95
Buy $100 card for 5.95

Use $10 off, pay $1.90 after first set where you don't have a $10 off to use.

If you can't cover fees just buy food. Everybody eats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.