Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Amex TC?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
see post #1
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:33 am

Ok.

It's been years since I've even seen a TC, lol.
What would be the plan? Buy the TC then pay it into your bank account?

Last edited by Steve Oh; Mar 20, 2013 at 8:10 am
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: Amex Gold
Is it possible to get an oyster. Load it with lets say 5k of pay as you go money on amex. conveniently "lose" it and get the refund? you get 10k amex points there'll be a £10 administration fee for refunds but that 10k points could be worth potentially 20k miles when a bonus comes along
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The maximum load on an Oyster card is £90.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
It is indeed - although some people have reported that the loophole may be closed. If you give it a go, let me know so I can update the OP.
Its still working. Ordered a few hundred quid worth on a new card and it has gone through fine and arrived. Just need to get round to depositing it into my account.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by stifle
The maximum load on an Oyster card is £90.
not if you buy a season ticket
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Arabmoney
not if you buy a season ticket
But surely that will just lead to the ticket being moved to a second card? Rather than a refund...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, CX Gold, AA, UA, DL
But surely that will just lead to the ticket being moved to a second card? Rather than a refund...
I bought a zones 1-4 Travelcard on my BA Amex. Then a few months later office moved and only needed zones 2-4. Changed over my ticket and the folks at South West Trains refunded the £500 odd difference onto my debit card (not the Amex I'd paid with originally!) thus putting me 5% of the way towards meeting my 241 spend for free.

You can get a refund for the time left on a railway season ticket but not sure if all train companies will allow you to put the refund on a different card to the one you paid with.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:15 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
I once heard of a CostCo spend route.. Anyone know anything about that? Would it work in the UK?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:25 am

well if you lose the card half way through the month tfl cant add half a months ticket fare onto the oyster. Anyways in the past ive always got full refunds for lost oysters through a cheque in the post. It might be an option you can request on the phone to have it pre-loaded onto the card
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:28 pm

I had a thought that as i'm emigrating to Australia would it worth getting Aus$ on my BAPP to push the spend up and then even try and deposit them when opening an Aus bank account in London??
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by FromTheRail
I had a thought that as i'm emigrating to Australia would it worth getting Aus$ on my BAPP to push the spend up and then even try and deposit them when opening an Aus bank account in London??
Buy some cash via the BA Amex site for sure, you will earn avios on the BAPP and via BA as well. The rate is not fantastic though so weigh up just how much you would be losing over a transfer via a decent broker if you are intending to change a very large amount.

I have a feeling you will not be able to deposit AUD cash into a bank account in the UK even if it is denominated as such, but it doesn't hurt to ask I suppose. You MAY have more luck with TCs denominated in Aussies, but one again do the sums and ask the questions before you do the deal!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:40 am

You will be able to pay in AUD, but they will convert them to GBP at whatever the rate is that day.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by tearsplash
I bought a zones 1-4 Travelcard on my BA Amex. Then a few months later office moved and only needed zones 2-4. Changed over my ticket and the folks at South West Trains refunded the £500 odd difference onto my debit card (not the Amex I'd paid with originally!) thus putting me 5% of the way towards meeting my 241 spend for free.

You can get a refund for the time left on a railway season ticket but not sure if all train companies will allow you to put the refund on a different card to the one you paid with.
They aren't meant to, but I don't know if records are kept of which card you pay with.

In the extreme case you could get a £10k season ticket from London to somewhere like Stoke and change it over to a Lichfield Trent Valley to Lichfield City at £108.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.