Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:54 am

Visited a range store near me last night.

They are not set up yet to accept Payzone but will be in a few months.

I doubt very much they will take Amex as the store itself doesn't take Amex.

There is a £8 charge for getting a startup pack.

Not sure this is going to work.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
So pay zone doesn't take Amex, and the range store visited above doesn't take Amex. That of course doesn't mean that no range store takes Amex, but it is likely a good indication. If so it means that this spending method can not be used to manufacture spending on Amex cards.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
Manufactured Spend UK

I use Amex at Payzone and The Range card is good for visa and MasterCard. The trick is finding a Payzone that allows you to use Amex. The retailer loses money By allowing you to use it so it requires a naive operator. As mentioned before larger businesses are less likely to care.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Richyo
..in case you dont know already, better way for B&Q spend is to buy B&Q giftcard from Tesco, that way you get that Amex points/avios for the spend, plus an additional 150 bonus Clubcard points per £50 giftcard spend
Just to add, that 'tradepoint' (usually within B&Q stores) also accepts B&Q vouchers, and is often a great deal cheaper than B&Q itself. You do need to be in the 'trade' though, which I had to prove by showing my city & guilds certificate in store, no great hardship.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
According to the website Payzone does not take Amex, but they do take Visa, so still very attractive.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Again, most Payzone stores won't accept credit cards for Payzone purchases because they'll lose money on it.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:48 pm

More than likely, especially smaller shops - just need to find the ones that do and we're cooking on gas.
There are a few near Hammersmith though that are big stores so fingers crossed. I usually only find that using an Amex gets refused - a Visa might attract a charge of 50p, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

Shall I post my findings here?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Sounds interesting... I will also report back if The Range would accept Amex when I visit them next.
Although their website says they accept MC, Visa and paypal.

With the £4 fees it may be even useful to get the Barclaycard Cashback (£24 fee)and use all your credit limit to load and then withdraw to your bank account.

Will be my first attempt at "Stoozing"

Just re-read the fees section on RPPMC
and it refers to Bank Payment and not Bank Withdrawal - so are we sure that this refers to withdrawal to your bank account?

Also the maximum load limit to a standard account is £1000 and £6000 is only for upgraded account - presume by getting in touch with CSR.

Last edited by c001lh202; Mar 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm Reason: Extra Info.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:04 am

Looks like £5 to upgrade, so not bad as long as it's a one-off charge.

Bank Payment should refer to a payment from the card to you bank, but as you say it might be worth giving them a call to make sure.

If it all does go as we hope, then £300 a day, every day for a year, should return 109,500 miles for £789.35:

£10 x 1 Initial loading fee
£1.99 x 365 (loading fee)
£4 x 12 Bank Transfer fee
£5 x 1 Upgrade fee

Obviously if it turns out The Range does take Amex then double the miles

c001lh202 are you going to call up and ask about the transfer to account? If so, let us know what the reply is.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Steve Oh

I am still to apply for RPPMC.
Hoping those who have already applied will report back in any hassle involved in bank transfer.

Also there is no upper limit mentioned in loading card at The range in store, and if they indeed accept Amex then you can expect good reward points/miles etc.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by tangey
So pay zone doesn't take Amex, and the range store visited above doesn't take Amex. That of course doesn't mean that no range store takes Amex, but it is likely a good indication. If so it means that this spending method can not be used to manufacture spending on Amex cards.
The range appears to be a big chain store. Usually they all operate with the same rules so I suspect that all of them will refuse Amex.

That being the case the only Visa card worth using would probably be the bmi card and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Shame.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by kitbag1984

That being the case the only Visa card worth using would probably be the bmi card and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Shame.
why do you say that?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
£5 x 1 Upgrade fee
This card also has a £1.99 a month fee doesnt it?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yes, yes it does.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Looks like £5 to upgrade, so not bad as long as it's a one-off charge.

Bank Payment should refer to a payment from the card to you bank, but as you say it might be worth giving them a call to make sure.

If it all does go as we hope, then £300 a day, every day for a year, should return 109,500 miles for £789.35:

£5 x 1 Upgrade fee

Obviously if it turns out The Range does take Amex then double the miles

c001lh202 are you going to call up and ask about the transfer to account? If so, let us know what the reply is.
Wouldn't a more effective way of doing this be to just to buy the vouchers in store which you can then top up your card with for no fee?
According to fee's list, there seems to be a £6,000 max top up limit per day.. So even on a BMI Visa (assuming they dont accept Amex), you could top up £6k for free and then transfer to bank for £4? i.e. 4.5k Avios for £4?
That doesnt take into account the initial card fee (£8) and the monthly maintenance fee (£1.99) but still a good deal if you could repeat it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.