Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by Richyo
This card also has a £1.99 a month fee doesnt it?
Missed that completly. Research failure on my part - add another £24 on to my total then.

Wouldn't a more effective way of doing this be to just to buy the vouchers in store which you can then top up your card with for no fee?
According to fee's list, there seems to be a £6,000 max top up limit per day.. So even on a BMI Visa (assuming they dont accept Amex), you could top up £6k for free and then transfer to bank for £4? i.e. 4.5k Avios for £4?
That doesnt take into account the initial card fee (£8) and the monthly maintenance fee (£1.99) but still a good deal if you could repeat it!
Go to store? Hmm, possibly. It's a 67 mile round trip, but if it's only once a month then it could be worth it.

You say £6k top up will give you 4.5k Avios? Why only 4,500 miles? Would it not be 6,000 miles for a £6,000 spend?

I'll alternate between my BMI Visa and my Virgin Atlantic Visa too so I can build up the miles on both and use the Amex on each for for my normal spending a 2:£1

re The Range not taking Amex - I'm working on the assumption that they don't take Amex - a pessemist is never disappointed

I've already ordered my RPPMC, which should be arriving by the end of the week. I'll confirm with RPPMC that it is only £4 to transfer whatever is on the card into a bank account, then will pop up to Reading the following week and get some top-up vouchers and top up the card.

Will let you know how I get on

Last edited by Steve Oh; Mar 17, 2013 at 11:26 pm
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Wouldn't a more effective way of doing this be to just to buy the vouchers in store which you can then top up your card with for no fee?
The Range does not have a wide Range of stores in a lot of parts of the country. Pun intended.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
You say £6k top up will give you 4.5k Avios? Why only 4,500 miles? Would it not be 6,000 miles for a £6,000 spend?
I thought the BMI Visa earned 0.75 miles per £1?

EDIT - I have the free card which is 0.75 miles per £1.. I assume you have the paid card, which is 1 mile per £1 on the Visa.

Last edited by Richyo; Mar 18, 2013 at 5:25 am
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by stifle
The Range does not have a wide Range of stores in a lot of parts of the country. Pun intended.
Very good fortunately, I have a Range store about 1 mile from my house! Will wait for the verdict on "bank payments" before ordering the card!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:24 am

I thought the BMI Visa earned 0.75 miles per £1?
1 mile per £1 on the paid card.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
Manufactured Spend UK

I have just applied for the miles and more card with the potential 16500 miles and more points. With the range method, you should be able to get 40k and redeem for a sale business fare paying the taxes in points for 58k total . With the bonus earning rate, I make that return to Dubai In business for £1.99*3 months and 10 £4 cash out Fees - less than £50 total for a 2k flight
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
I have just applied for the miles and more card with the potential 16500 miles and more points. With the range method, you should be able to get 40k and redeem for a sale business fare paying the taxes in points for 58k total . With the bonus earning rate, I make that return to Dubai In business for £1.99*3 months and 10 £4 cash out Fees - less than £50 total for a 2k flight
Is the 18k 'miles for taxes' available on flights to Dubai???
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
Manufactured Spend UK

Someone told me it was available to Dubai, but I'm relying on them.... Do we have a conclusive figure anyone?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
Someone told me it was available to Dubai, but I'm relying on them.... Do we have a conclusive figure anyone?
I think the whole miles for taxes only applies to flights within Europe.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Just purchased 8-10oz silver bars locally to meet a $2500 min spend on a sports-themed CC.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Just purchased 8-10oz silver bars locally to meet a $2500 min spend on a sports-themed CC.
This is the uk thread
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Here's one I am going to put out there to see if anyone has better luck in finding a sales outlet.

Do any of the Northern Ireland or Scottish banks let you buy their own issued bank notes online. Got the idea from the "buying dollar coins" thing that was successful for years in the US.

I've searched but can not find any bank that will sell these notes online. I had thought this might be possible, as they are technically not legal tender in England/Wales and hence might be made available for collectors.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
No they don't. They all operate ATMs which they use to put their notes into circulation.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
How about buying gold from Ebay using Amex via Paypal and then reselling?

EDIT: Scrap that, gold prices on Ebay seem to be pretty poor.

Last edited by Sandgrounder; Mar 18, 2013 at 2:02 pm
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
Here's one I am going to put out there to see if anyone has better luck in finding a sales outlet.

Do any of the Northern Ireland or Scottish banks let you buy their own issued bank notes online. Got the idea from the "buying dollar coins" thing that was successful for years in the US.

I've searched but can not find any bank that will sell these notes online. I had thought this might be possible, as they are technically not legal tender in England/Wales and hence might be made available for collectors.
They are actually not technically legal tender anywhere. But legal tender is a very specific concept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.