Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 4:07 pm

Are there any prepaid debit cards that can be loaded with a credit card, preferably Amex, for a minimal fee? Other than 3V.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I bought Mrs W a fairly expensive leather jacket from John Lewis. She decided it didn't fit quite right, and for the money she wanted something perfect. I took it back, but when they asked for the payment card I remembered I'd lost it, and so it had been cancelled.

"No problem, sir. Any card is fine."

Straight back onto my debit card.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
make sure you buy the right Range vouchers....

Originally Posted by djsteve
Same here. I took out the card with my shiny new AA MBNA Card and checked last night and it has charged me a cash advance fee of....£5! Ouch. Anyway in the pursuit of greater things, this will go down as experience.
Hopefully I will receive the card in the next couple of days. Luckily Range is only a couple of miles from where I work....
Will also have a look into Paypoint, although have no idea how this works. presuambly you have to ask at the cashier of (say co-op store) to top up using paypoint and go with some shopping too, to distract from loading with a visa / amex card?

Seems like there are a few people trying various ways at the moment and would be good to pool experience and report findings.
The search continues.......

cheers
dj
I popped in to my local range and went to get some vouchers. Unfortunately I appear to have bought the wrong ones. I was given the paper ones and these cannot be added to the RPPMC.....
This was the original range store too, but not a particularly large store. I will go back and get a refund / swap with the correct vouchers - I believe they should be in credit card type form with a scratch panel on the back too.

Cheers
Dj
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA , Diners Club, El Al, YourPoints.
Just to let you know, Morrisons refund returns in cash.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Sohail Iqbal
Just to let you know, Morrisons refund returns in cash.
I think that will vary depending on the cashier and the store. Certainly the policy will be "back onto the original card".

Many moons ago I worked on the customer service desk at Asda. My flexibility on refunds depended on these factors (in order of importance):

1) How hungover I was.
2) How attractive the customer was.
3) How polite the customer was.
4) How 'scumbaggy' the customer looked.
5) How bored I was.

So, if an attractive, well dressed girl approached me on a Sunday morning and politely asked for a refund on a camera, I'd have given her Euros if that's what she wanted.

If a filthy bloke with his cap on sideways and his trousers half way down his arse approached me on a Tuesday afternoon, however, it would be a very different story.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Good robust policy there Wozza...I like it.

I now have the correct vouchers and have successfully loaded £200 onto my card. just waiting for the transaction to appear on my VISA statement to confirm it is not a cash advance.

dj
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by djsteve
I now have the correct vouchers and have successfully loaded £200 onto my card. just waiting for the transaction to appear on my VISA statement to confirm it is not a cash advance.

dj
How did you load the RPPMC? did you do it by SMS or another way?
It definitely should not count as cash advance - should just show as you spent £200 in a retail outlet.

Look forward to hearing the result.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If a filthy bloke with his cap on sideways and his trousers half way down his arse approached me on a Tuesday afternoon, however, it would be a very different story.
One would hope you'd have directed him to the belt section post haste
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
There is a potential new angle on the 3v cards, which results in only having a small outlay for a large credit card thru put. i.e. genuine manufactured spending

Tesco has a helping hand coupons promotion this week. Spend £40, and you get £5 voucher to be used the week of the 10th of June on another £40 spend.

So, buy 5 pairs of 3v cards today, for £250 plus the 750 points, over 5 transactions, and then walk in next week when the HHs are usable, and buy another 5 pairs in 5 transactions, each for £45+ 1xHH.

£500 on 3v cards for £475 of spend, plus 1500 points.

3v charges £1.75 to move a balance from 1 card to another. 19 moves would be £33.25. They charge £3.50 to transfer to your bank account. Total outlay is £36.75+£475 , with £500 going back to your bank, you finish spending £11.75.

1500 points for £11.75 is 0.78p per cc point, plus you get points on your credit card, plus you get that £475 of manufactured spend on your credit card. Probably take about a hour and a half to activate the cards, merge them and send to your bank. If I was to use my gold card I'd end up with 950 avios from the £475 on the card plus 3600 from the 1500 cc points. 4550 avios for a £11.75 outlay is 0.25p per avios, plus £475 on your card.

I don't think there is an issue receiving multiple HHs (havn't seen anything about 1 per customer). There is a possibility that they may not let you use the HH for 3v cards alone. However if you mix in a bit of your grocery purchases with each of your 5 HHs, should be fine.

Last edited by tangey; Jun 5, 2013 at 9:26 am
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:34 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
That sounds genius tangey!

If only I was anywhere near a Tesco, and if only I had the slightest belief that any of my nearest Tesco's would have any cards left in stock (hence at least warranting an attempt to visit)!

D'oh!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
been advised that HH don't apply to gift cards.

Never mind.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by PlatinumJK
That sounds genius tangey!

If only I was anywhere near a Tesco, and if only I had the slightest belief that any of my nearest Tesco's would have any cards left in stock (hence at least warranting an attempt to visit)!

D'oh!
The one near me we talked about seems to have them back in stock - I've hidden some if you want to go and get them
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:05 pm
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
The one near me we talked about seems to have them back in stock - I've hidden some if you want to go and get them
I'll send you an email if I ever get a chance to pop over there (abroad again now!) But if you're there first - they're yours mate. You're a scholar and a gentlemen!

Last edited by JK; Jun 6, 2013 at 1:09 am
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:05 pm

Chap stocking gift cards at my local Tesco said they'd been told to fill the 3V gap with the normal Visa gift cards, as they won't be getting any further stocks of 3V.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
been advised that HH don't apply to gift cards.

Never mind.
Throw in a chewing gum or a cucumber or something.

I have bought £50 worth gift cards (non-Tesco obviously) with a 15p something or the other in front of it.

I have also bought 2 gift cards for £50 and nothing else and used one of these vouchers.

Raffles says that the small print, even if it says gift cards, actually means Tesco gift cards only are excluded. And this has been my personal experience.

Also, choose the cashier .... Preferably, the bored teenager who is barely awake.

I don't have the patience to split multiple 3V purchases. I want to get as many as I can and leave before they notice how many I am buying (up to 10 per transaction, up to 2 transactions at a time, if that many are available). I am aware there are no limits, etc, but I don't want to have that conversation.

I've got about 5 £5 offs .. Which I will use to purchase the with fee Visa cards as stock of 3V is patchy/non-existent. If 3V ones are there, I will choose them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.