Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Re the Amex cards and them refunding back to a bank... I am concerned by this line in the T&C's

We will only process your Redemption via cheque or bank transfer to a UK bank account, at our option. This process could take up to 30 (thirty) working days.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Exactly, and the OP referred to 3V vouchers.
3V vouchers are the same as 3V cards, except they are a voucher - you use them in exactly the same way.
And the 3V vouchers have a surcharge...and can only be issued from PayPoint terminals.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Re the Amex cards and them refunding back to a bank... I am concerned by this line in the T&C's

We will only process your Redemption via cheque or bank transfer to a UK bank account, at our option. This process could take up to 30 (thirty) working days.
They do ask the reason, but they were happy to transfer the fund to my bank account last year. However, maybe I had a CS who was not that familiar with the process, it was not as straightforward as I have expected.

I bought 2x 100 gift cards to try out. Sat on them for 6 weeks before I called up. 35 minutes on phone (including holding times) and the CS was unable to confirm the fund transfer, so she told me that she will have to call me back after it is processed. Luckily she did call me back 2 hours later to confirm the transfer has been authorised.

It took about 7 working days to reach my bank account last December.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by Mattyb44
And the 3V vouchers have a surcharge...and can only be issued from PayPoint terminals.
and 3V cards are plastic and have a pretty picture on. What's your point?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:39 pm

and 3V cards are plastic and have a pretty picture on. What's your point?
My point is you cannot buy them in Tesco, and they carry a fee that the 3V cards dont. So why would anyone choose to but the vouchers if they can only be liquidated in the same ways as the cards?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:04 pm

My point is you cannot buy them in Tesco, and they carry a fee that the 3V cards dont. So why would anyone choose to but the vouchers if they can only be liquidated in the same ways as the cards?
This is the Manufactured Spending thread, ie everything to do with Manufactured Spending (in the UK) goes here. It is not the Tesco thread. If you want to buy your 3V cards in Tesco only then that's your choice. The OP also made reference to 3V Vouchers, to which you proclaimed he was talking nonsense, serving no other purpose than expose a hole in your knowledge.

3V vouchers are extremely useful for MS purposes. If you don't know how to use them then that's down to you. Clearly the OP does.

For your future reference, there is a dedicated Tesco thread on the BAEC section. I'm sure you'll fit in there nicely.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:58 pm

This is the Manufactured Spending thread, ie everything to do with Manufactured Spending (in the UK) goes here. It is not the Tesco thread. If you want to buy your 3V cards in Tesco only then that's your choice. The OP also made reference to 3V Vouchers, to which you proclaimed he was talking nonsense, serving no other purpose than expose a hole in your knowledge.

3V vouchers are extremely useful for MS purposes. If you don't know how to use them then that's down to you. Clearly the OP does.

For your future reference, there is a dedicated Tesco thread on the BAEC section. I'm sure you'll fit in there nicely.
No need to be so aggressive I obviously dont know how to use them (as you were kind enough to point out) but will certainly now have to investigate if they are a efficient and cost effective form of MS. Also apologies to the op for the misunderstanding with the differences between 3V cards and 3V vouchers.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation
£50 of vouchers I mean (i.e. 2 x £25)
Do you refer to the 3V cards (purchasable as physical cards) or 3V vouchers (only purchasable at a PayPoint station)? The vouchers are in multiples of £10 so 2x25 seems impossible.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by xls999
Presumably they have the same limitation on not being able to cash these out eg to NSI as the cards do. Plus the additional drawback of not being able to generate Tesco points or Morrisons Fuel tokens?
The drawbacks you mention seem valid as they can only be purchased at a PayPoint station according to the 3V website. Further drawbacks are the small surcharge charged on purchase.

Also worth noting:

A fee of two pounds (£2) per month will be deducted from the Available Balance in each calendar month, starting from the third (3rd ) calendar month following purchase of the relevant 3V Voucher .
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC

True about the Tesco issue. However, Tescos is probably one of the quicker ways to earn Avios (assuming you can rinse whatever GC you buy) since you can get almost 10 Avios per £.

I have never really looked into 3V vouchers since my methods are don't really use the vouchers but from what I can see the £ surcharge is the biggest drawback unless you can find a store that lets you put big £$£ on as a voucher and pay with CC.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:29 pm

No need to be so aggressive I obviously dont know how to use them (as you were kind enough to point out) but will certainly now have to investigate if they are a efficient and cost effective form of MS. Also apologies to the op for the misunderstanding with the differences between 3V cards and 3V vouchers.
Apologies for coming across as so aggressive
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:33 pm

The drawbacks you mention seem valid as they can only be purchased at a PayPoint station according to the 3V website. Further drawbacks are the small surcharge charged on purchase.

Also worth noting:

A fee of two pounds (£2) per month will be deducted from the Available Balance in each calendar month, starting from the third (3rd ) calendar month following purchase of the relevant 3V Voucher .
If you were to purchase the vouchers then the £2 fee might be worth it to guarantee the credit card spend. Finding a healthy supply of 3V cards might not be easy for some.
Regarding the £2 charge after month 2 is not important in this instance as I'd imagine nobody would keep a voucher for longer than a few hours.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by flieduk
True about the Tesco issue. However, Tescos is probably one of the quicker ways to earn Avios (assuming you can rinse whatever GC you buy) since you can get almost 10 Avios per £.

I have never really looked into 3V vouchers since my methods are don't really use the vouchers but from what I can see the £ surcharge is the biggest drawback unless you can find a store that lets you put big £$£ on as a voucher and pay with CC.
If you are buying 3V cards from Tesco then I make it just over 12 Avios per £ (1,210 per £100).
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
If you are buying 3V cards from Tesco then I make it just over 12 Avios per £ (1,210 per £100).
Sorry I was going on the "normal" rate w/o anything special
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by flieduk
Sorry I was going on the "normal" rate w/o anything special
Good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.