Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
NOLA update...

West bank and St. Charles OD are out as of this afternoon. Very conspicuous reorganization of cards at St. Charles seems pretty clear they aren't expecting them back. They each had them in stock Thursday and Friday respectively. Not sure east bank suburbs however.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've never seen those in my area - are they typically sold at OD?
They "were" sold in my area - until today...
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL, UA, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
And add to that don't ask questions even if using weak code because a blog might figure it out. Also when people suggest to let threads die the next question should asked by someone should get them banned for awhile if it is on the same page and they should have seen it in my opinion
Given the recent creation of this sub-forum explicitly called "manufactured spending," it does not seem like the administration of this forum shares the spirit of such comments.

Mind you, I am sympathetic to the view in principle -- but FT was acquired by a for-profit organization many years ago and has an incentive to let threads stay alive so long as they generate page views. And also has the right to act according to this incentive.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
+1 ^^^^^

Can you spell ANTI TRUST? Can you imagine a Mastercard issuer (Chase) demanding another issuers product (Vanilla) be removed from retail?

This thread is hilarious.
I'm pretty sure this would not be a violation of antitrust laws. Exclusivity agreements exist all over the place. How many eating establishments do you know of that serve both Coke and Pepsi?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by sk8uno
I'm pretty sure this would not be a violation of antitrust laws. Exclusivity agreements exist all over the place. How many eating establishments do you know of that serve both Coke and Pepsi?
It isn't antitrust, but it is wholly ridiculous to think that OD would take orders from Chase. Even if Chase were the bank processing their transactions, there is absolutely no way that Chase could call OD and tell them to pull gift cards because it was (allegedly) hurting Chase's bottom line. The point of the most he was responding to, which was mine, is that gift cards are gone at OD because OD lost money on them. This was not Chase's doing, just as the pulling of VRs was not. Whether this "deal" being publicized by bloggers contributed to the cards being pulled is up for debate, but the bottom line is that these cards were never meant to be used in the way we were using them, and they got pulled because OD did not want to continue taking a loss on them.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
And add to that don't ask questions even if using weak code because a blog might figure it out. Also when people suggest to let threads die the next question should asked by someone should get them banned for awhile if it is on the same page and they should have seen it in my opinion
I highly doubt you stumbled upon variable load cards at OD with Ink on your own. Stop and get over it. The price of living in a world with open access forums is that something that is truly too good to be true ends. No one reasonably believed this was sustainable.

Last edited by philemer; Feb 5, 2013 at 10:50 pm Reason: rude comment removed
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Deioces
Data point from my Bay Area source: variable cards with a $5.95 still sold and not to be discontinued according to them. $3.95 variable cards pulled because not a good deal for them. This agrees with a blog post I cited earlier.

Don't know if my OD is missing something, I just bought a couple and will check in again in a few days.
Interesting. ODs in Los Angeles haven't had the $3.95 cards for a while. Some stores carried $4.95 cards, while others only $5.95 cards. I am MORE than happy to pay $5.95 for a variable load card, and hope very much that this is true (though I'm not counting on it).
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAX88
I highly doubt you stumbled upon variable load cards at OD with Ink on your own. Stop and get over it. The price of living in a world with open access forums is that something that is truly too good to be true ends. No one reasonably believed this was sustainable.
Thank you. enough of the blog bashing please.

Last edited by philemer; Feb 5, 2013 at 10:50 pm Reason: removed part of deleted quots
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: No preference
There's your problem right there ...

Last edited by philemer; Feb 5, 2013 at 10:51 pm Reason: removed part of deleted quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
There's your problem right there ...
+1 ^
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
There is some speculation that OD variable load GCs may be replaced by higher fee variable load GCs. Has anyone ventured into an OD to see if there's any reason for hope?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:43 am

I don't have any ODs near me so was happy to be travelling to L.A. this weekend. Bad timing. Universal City had pulled everything but fixed value. Very conspicuous with all the empty segments on the racks. I decided not to waste time driving around more.

I don't think I'll play the $200 to VR game. I already get pushback or incompetence when doing 2x$500. Making them run 5x$200 is not something I'm anxious to do.

It will be interesting to see what OD brings back if anything. In the chain of what makes this work, I never would have thought OD would have been the link to break fist. I would have guessed Chase to have found a way to modify the 5x would be the issue first. Maybe they are just lying in wait to hammer accounts en masse for "perk abuse" or something.

As long as VRs remain available, I'm giving serious thought to just dropping to 2x at grocery stores.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
There is some speculation that OD variable load GCs may be replaced by higher fee variable load GCs. Has anyone ventured into an OD to see if there's any reason for hope?
Yes - $200 GC with a $6.95 fee. In essence, if you go the way of the GCs and used those for everyday non-bonus spend of up to $1000/month, you are paying about 0.8 cpm for the additional 4,175 miles.

$1034.75 = approx 5175 miles (not sure how Chase calculates bonus points with the cents; I rounded up to $1035)
5175 - 1000 = 4175 additional miles
$34.75/4175 = 0.83 cpm.

I think it's still a good deal. Obviously, the previous was far better.

Last edited by Ducati; Feb 4, 2013 at 11:04 am Reason: added calculations
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: Several dozen
Since banks are inherently evil, there is no telling what they may or may not do. However, OD wasn't making money and was taking on risk with the cards so who can criticize their Cardinal Fang for scourging the heretics for consuming so many beans.

It isn't antitrust, but it is wholly ridiculous to think that OD would take orders from Chase. Even if Chase were the bank processing their transactions, there is absolutely no way that Chase could call OD and tell them to pull gift cards because it was (allegedly) hurting Chase's bottom line. The point of the most he was responding to, which was mine, is that gift cards are gone at OD because OD lost money on them. This was not Chase's doing, just as the pulling of VRs was not. Whether this "deal" being publicized by bloggers contributed to the cards being pulled is up for debate, but the bottom line is that these cards were never meant to be used in the way we were using them, and they got pulled because OD did not want to continue taking a loss on them.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:13 am

Why are people angry with the bloggers? Frequent miler was the first to figure this out and post about it. Without the blogs few would have known about this in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.