Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by ferrari_fan
Still plenty left at some places around here. Hope some can take advantage of this tomorrow. Anyone know if transfer from Chase Checking/Savings (Personal) to IB/IP is instantaneous?
Best you can do is 1 business day payment. Before 8 pm on website, or before midnight if call in (no charge). Call in may allow you to pay 20% more than your current balance. However, since it takes OD charges 2-3 days to clear (and after the 4th) you will be lucky to run through your CL one time. Check what your CL is first I suppose
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Went by my local od and they'd cleaned out the silver ones (had been plenty earlier in the day). There were lots of gold ones, so I picked up a couple. The cashier (who I'd seen earlier that day for my normal run) confirmed that they were being pulled. She was surprised to have missed the gold ones, but she and the manager let me have them. The Amex were still out.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL, UA, BA, AA
... and today I finally found a Cigarette Vending Station that accepts gc for beans in the Bay Area. Of course, this was gonna happen today.. :P
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Dayton,OH area:

First store had ALOT of the $500 went to cashier with few ,started ringing a couple then called the manager to confirm the transaction ,the manager said that they are being pulled today and can't sell them anymore and voided the transaction ,2 other stores didn't even have them on the racks anymore ,last store had ALOT again and was able to buy some...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
Dayton,OH area:

First store had ALOT of the $500 went to cashier with few ,started ringing a couple then called the manager to confirm the transaction ,the manager said that they are being pulled today and can't sell them anymore and voided the transaction ,2 other stores didn't even have them on the racks anymore ,last store had ALOT again and was able to buy some...
If you don't mind, which stores did you hit? I'm on the other side of the river in NK and was about to do a loop tomorrow.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:07 pm

Good riddance.
Manufactured spending was being abused with everyone racking up 5x with Ink or 6x with Hilton and the like. We are already seeing the results of this with so many Airline and Hotel program devaluations. If everyone is generating tens of thousands of miles a month it cannon be sustainable. It had to end at some point.

I think gift cards/BB needs to be at a price point where the cpm is too high for people to just keep on buying this till they max out their monthly limits. It should still be an option though for those who need to meet minimum spend but nothing more.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tuscanyx
hmm, I don't think FTG is asking a question. I think he actually has an answer and is just prompting people to think about it and maybe get to the answer themselves.
Or just follow the arrows to MMS where the answer will be circled in red.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:12 pm

I wish this would have last longer. This is by far the most lucrative way to earn UR miles other than churning.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Let this be a lesson to all.

If there's a good deal going, shut the fark up. For gods sake, don't tell the bloggers, and don't post it here openly on FT. If you feel like sharing, send someone a PM.

Unless you want to make the deal end as quickly as possible - in that case, by all means, give it visibility.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by windcloud5
I wish this would have last longer. This is by far the most lucrative way to earn UR miles other than churning.
I'm assuming folks know that it's not "over" if OD just carries the $200 cards - it just means you need to buy more to accomplish the same goal and your costs will go up - whether or not that breaks the deal is really an individual thing.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
@sam_goh

Fairborn store still had some ,hopefully no manager is going to be involved in your case ...good luck.

I checked 2 Cincy area stores also for the $500's before giving up.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:31 am

Amex prepaid

Local OD did not have GC's but did have a lot of Amex prepaid cards with applications. I was just wondering if we can buy them and load $500 everytime. Never done this or know about it, so just putting the question out there.

Thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:32 am

yeah, earlier this week the manager wouldn't let me buy GC, some stupid excuse about their terminal being down. I went back and finally on third trip, he said go ahead...almost seemed like he had forgotten earlier excuse when i asked him if machine was working...might try tomorrow as a last hurrah
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by DCAcubsfan
While I don't think it's entirely fair to blame bloggers for this deal dying, I will say that it's safe to assume that Chase and other Credit Card issuers regularly monitor said bloggers (as they have an established relationship with them and pay out referral bonuses), and after the 5X OD/Ice Cream methods were well published, I would bet Chase made some high level contact with OD requesting that these variable GCs be pulled, after previously requesting Ice Cream be pulled in November. Perhaps this is conjecture on my part, but I would think this was the likely scenario. That said, it's not like Chase and Co wouldn't also have people monitor places like FT, MP and SD as well and still catch on to these games eventually. Bottom line, deals will eventually get out whether through blogs, FT, SD, MP or wherever, it will get out, why not just enjoy the ride while you can and patiently wait for the next one? Just my two cents...
This is the most ridiculous contention, and it keeps getting made. Chase had nothing to do with getting gift cards pulled. If those cards were profitable, OD wouldn't have cared one bit if Chase called and said to pull them. I can guarantee you their merchant agreement didn't have a "you can run our business for us" clause in it. OD killed VR for the same reason they're killing variable load cards--THEY LOSE MONEY ON THEM.

Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
@sam_goh

Fairborn store still had some ,hopefully no manager is going to be involved in your case ...good luck.

I checked 2 Cincy area stores also for the $500's before giving up.
May make the trip up to Fairborn, but it's a fair haul from where I'm at... no pun intended Which 2 Cincy stores did you try perchance? They must have yanked them quick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.