Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:52 am
Community Director Emerita

Thanks to the OP for the heads up. I headed off to OD once I read this.

My local OD still has them but will pull them this weekend. I had a chat with the manager about it. He said that the reason is fraud. Someone will steal a credit card, use it to buy one of these cards that cannot be tracked, then throw away the stolen card. This particular OD has not had problems, but San Diego stores have. This OD does require showing your drivers license and the transaction must be approved by a manager.

We talked about the small businesses who buy the cards who will be disappointed to have them pulled. There are a number of law firms and medical offices near this OD who routinely buy them. They are great for employee gifts. Also, I can imagine using them instead of petty cash. For me, I can hand one to someone to use for gas and food, instead of having to line up a company credit card. It's an easy way to cap our exposure.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
I was at an OD here in Orange County the other day and it looked like most of the $500 reloads had been pulled. Normally they have tons of different types but Thurs they only had one type available. It was on the lowest set of pegs so it could have been missed by whomever was pulling them.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Man this sucks...Just opened my ink plus to complement my ink bold.. arggg
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:02 pm

Back to .79c/mile (mostly).
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
gift cards getting pulled by office depot

Good lord!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Went over to my local OD this morning, still plenty in stock, and they didn't mention anything about discontinuing.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Mine restocked the OneVanilla cards and just did the normal DVRS call-in when purchasing $2K worth. No word about discontinuing.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:02 pm
IPG

Programs: *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
gift cards getting pulled by office depot

My local store just checked my ID. Rack was looking a little thin, but that's par for the course at that store.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Just went to a OD and the manager was like: I am glad we are getting rid of them. I am like when? He's like, I will pull them off the shelf today.

Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

All good things come to an end... not really surprised and I didn't get in on the Sapphire/Ink game but it is too bad they can't just do a better job @ checking the ID to minimize the fraudulent purchases. Unless it is just a convenient cover story.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
OM? Stpl?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Anyone know off the top of their heads what the $200 card cost for activation at OD? I know the OM and STP ones are 6.95
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

All good things come to an end... not really surprised and I didn't get in on the Sapphire/Ink game but it is too bad they can't just do a better job @ checking the ID to minimize the fraudulent purchases. Unless it is just a convenient cover story.
My OD checks my ID and calls in to verify my card number. That's the best job I've seen at checking something out to minimize fraud.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:40 pm

Did not have any problem this morning in one of the ODs here (There are 45 in DFW), but it could be happening. Thanks to OP for the heads up but this might also trigger the rush. I thought I was done for this statement cycle, but I will be going for another GC run soon
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:43 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by steventravel
Anyone know off the top of their heads what the $200 card cost for activation at OD? I know the OM and STP ones are 6.95
$6.95 for Amex $200.

the game isn't over. it just changed again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.