Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
I am glad i was able to secure 9 cards in the last few days.. Gonna go on card hunting tomorrow..
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:51 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Your Right Boca, pcharles and others

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Do you honestly think people are going to feed you information here anymore after this?
Why should I share it with all? That seems to be the new theme here. Anger and hate. As others have posted here, I'm not a fan of arrows and circles, never have been.

At some point hopefully the "angries" will realize that it is NOT all about the money and referral links with some of us bloggers. We love the game just like you do.

More clues? Nah, just doesn't seem worth it. Another deal dives underground.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
But still LOVE playing the game. Loved playing the game 6 years before starting the blog. Loved the game when writing the blog for three years before affiliate links. Indeed loved the game while being paid well from affiliate links and now, after selling, still Love playing the game.
Rick-
I'm sure for thousands of others like me you were the gateway to this (hobby, addiction) and you were personally responsible for me getting my credit act together in order to share in the spoils.
So, on many levels, thank you for everything you did and continue to do, whether your motivation is altruistic or money makes no difference.
Scoreboard baby!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by Campath
Good riddance.
Manufactured spending was being abused with everyone racking up 5x with Ink or 6x with Hilton and the like. We are already seeing the results of this with so many Airline and Hotel program devaluations. If everyone is generating tens of thousands of miles a month it cannon be sustainable. It had to end at some point.

I think gift cards/BB needs to be at a price point where the cpm is too high for people to just keep on buying this till they max out their monthly limits. It should still be an option though for those who need to meet minimum spend but nothing more.
I agree with Campath. It's not unlike the Fed printing money or the competitive devaluation of currencies that are going on around the world. Bottom line, when there are too many points chasing a fixed amount of redemptions then it will eventually take more points to get the same redemption as we are witnessing with all the recent changes this year.

I'd be in favor of getting rid of all bonus pts and just earning 1 pt per $1 if it meant that redemptions would stay static.

Last edited by drod; Feb 3, 2013 at 6:58 am
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:40 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Thank you

Originally Posted by member7777
Rick-
I'm sure for thousands of others like me you were the gateway to this (hobby, addiction) and you were personally responsible for me getting my credit act together in order to share in the spoils.
So, on many levels, thank you for everything you did and continue to do, whether your motivation is altruistic or money makes no difference.
Scoreboard baby!
Thank you. That means alot to me. Congrats on your credit repair.

Rick
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:42 am
IPG

Programs: *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
@sam_goh

Fairborn store still had some ,hopefully no manager is going to be involved in your case ...good luck.

I checked 2 Cincy area stores also for the $500's before giving up.
May make the trip up to Fairborn, but it's a fair haul from where I'm at... no pun intended Which 2 Cincy stores did you try perchance? They must have yanked them quick

@sam_goh: I live in Columbus but have friends in Fairborn. Had one stop in to the OD there to see if anything remained, and as of about 830pm last night they were empty. *womp womp*

I didn't want to make that drive either!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by drod
I'd be in favor of getting rid of all bonus pts and just earning 1 pt per $1 if it met that redemptions would stay static.
I would be in favor of getting rid of all FF programs!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:46 am

Sometimes people are so obnoxious. Get over it, and move along. So the game has changed again. The steps will change and another new deal will come along soon.

Personal attacks are so unbecoming and most often, unwarranted.

There are still many ways that exist to accomplish your goal. It's those that set fire to the bridge as they run across and leave the ruins behind (consistently over doing it), that kill the deals.

Hence, those with the slow and steady mentality just keeping moving along to the next deal, while those who continue this mentality just keep crying.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by QL_714
I would be in favor of getting rid of all FF programs!

Then why use them? Sounds like you don't like them, so just ignore them and move along to something that interest you (if these do not).

You know it is a choice. Many people are not a member of rewards programs.

Last edited by shoreline; Feb 3, 2013 at 7:00 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:22 am

ok, so lets think of alternatives...

Do any other office supply stores sell variable cards or something for say $300 or $500? If the best option we have is $200 at a $7 cost (on top of the VR cost of $3.95) the Ink deal will come to an end. I guess I should be happy I got the Ink Bold a little while ago and hit the 5K mark.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:23 am

oops, not "variable" should be fixed.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:28 am

I think you are giving way too much credence to "the bloggers". I doubt any one of them, or even the bunch of them combined, has the number of page views that FT generates.
They bring more people into a game that can easily suffer from something akin to the 'Tragedy of the commons.' Such techniques that were once a rounding error on a corporate spreadsheet suddenly become significant drags on revenue. The "fraud" they note is the use of the cards by point seekers. Pretending its about people abandoning stolen credit cards is silly. Other places have them and aren't running into that issue because they don't give point-seeker 5X points. It's that simple.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by LAX88
This is the most ridiculous contention, and it keeps getting made. Chase had nothing to do with getting gift cards pulled. If those cards were profitable, OD wouldn't have cared one bit if Chase called and said to pull them. I can guarantee you their merchant agreement didn't have a "you can run our business for us" clause in it. OD killed VR for the same reason they're killing variable load cards--THEY LOSE MONEY ON THEM.
+1 ^^^^^

Can you spell ANTI TRUST? Can you imagine a Mastercard issuer (Chase) demanding another issuers product (Vanilla) be removed from retail?

This thread is hilarious.

Last edited by CVG_Kid; Feb 3, 2013 at 9:44 am
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Also, I don't get why Chase doesn't just shut down the whole thing by telling the bloggers to stop posting about it. Heck, they could make an example of out one blogger by shutting off the affiliate feeding trough for a week -- vanilla reload would become a forbidden word overnight.
It has nothing to do with Chase. OD is shutting it down because it's not profitable.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Ducati
It has nothing to do with Chase. OD is shutting it down because it's not profitable.
I would have thought OD buys the gift cards below par and would still make a few cents per card after merchant fees. The other issue I see are the posters who talked about hiding/stealing cards to be reloaded later.That is a very big red flag from an inventory standpoint and would make me want to stop selling the cards!
Cheers
Howie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.