Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by aba20
Why are people angry with the bloggers? Frequent miler was the first to figure this out and post about it. Without the blogs few would have known about this in the first place.
Actually, I believe he was tipped off :-) March of last year
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:39 am

I just went to OD around me and they pulled all Amex prepaid cards but not Vanilla Visa cards. Between my friends and I we purchased $6K without issue. The manager did have to come up and enter a code to approve the purchase and they said this was new. I'll report if they still have them when I return to the store in a few days.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Ducati
Why can't they admit that it's ONLY for the money?
Why do you need them to admit this? Of course it is for the money as it is there job.

Last edited by mia; Feb 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm Reason: Prune quotation
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:41 am

Why are people angry with the bloggers? Frequent miler was the first to figure this out and post about it. Without the blogs few would have known about this in the first place.
Do you really think he was the first? He may have been the first widely-recognized blogger to post about it, but there are many who knew and didn't say anything for obvious reasons.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by stealph
Actually, I believe he was tipped off :-) March of last year
Sorry, I didn't give you credit! So you are the reason the deal is dead. I have my pitchfork out! Lets ban stealph, but not before he gives us the new 5x!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:51 am

I think bashing the blogs is free game when the bloggers lie about why they do it. Why can't they admit that it's ONLY for the money?
Why do you need them to admit this? Of course it is for the money as it is there job.
I don't. But when they come out and say it's not only for the money, then we have a right to call them out on it.
Obviously, like you said, it's for the money. I have absolutely no issues with that. Just don't ... insult our intelligence. We're not stupid.

Last edited by mia; Feb 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm Reason: Remove personal characterization
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:58 am

yeah, some people who make blogs are in it for the money. They might be ONLY in it for the money.

But, why on earth do/did we get an Ink card (when we generally have no legitimate business need for one), go to OD to get a visa $500 card, then drive to CVS to get the VR? It isn't becuase we are are bored...we are in it for the points/miles.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie
I just went to OD around me and they pulled all Amex prepaid cards but not Vanilla Visa cards. Between my friends and I we purchased $6K without issue. The manager did have to come up and enter a code to approve the purchase and they said this was new. I'll report if they still have them when I return to the store in a few days.
At this point in time, I say go back and clean them out, all the stores around me have pulled the $500 varieties.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
With the way that I see so many people on blogs posting "GOOD, I'M GLAD IT'S GONE!!!", I wouldn't be surprised if there were people out there clearly showing all of this directly to OD execs. Damn traitors!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by glocklt4
With the way that I see so many people on blogs posting "GOOD, I'M GLAD IT'S GONE!!!", I wouldn't be surprised if there were people out there clearly showing all of this directly to OD execs. Damn traitors!
I've found that the people saying this either (1) didn't have ODs near them (think PHX area) or (2) didn't have the ability to get Ink cards to rack up so many miles.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:34 pm

If you are in this hobby for even a few months, you can figure out all sorts of new plays, typically using methods not even posted here on FT let alone other outfits. The only service you can do to others is not post openly about it anymore if it is clearly a loophole in any institution involved. Don't cross the lines and there is plenty of fun to be had.

5X is dead. Long live nX.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by glocklt4

Then don't post deals on the internet where EVERYONE can see them. Yeesh.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:34 pm

Do you really think he was the first? He may have been the first widely-recognized blogger to post about it, but there are many who knew and didn't say anything for obvious reasons.
Right. Here's the deal. When I was in college a bar had "Taco Tuesdays" with tacos for only 10cents. Clearly a money losing proposition from the taco angle but they made up for it with beer sales. Some people came and only ordered water and ate 10cent tacos. The bar owner didn't care. Overall the promotion made money and that's all he cared about. If EVERYONE just drank water and ate tacos the deal would have died.

The same is true of things like the OD deal. A handful of people shifting spend into cc's then liquidating was a rounding error on the balance sheets. But then the bloggers couldn't shut up about it. Over and over they posted about and took photos, and drew arrows, and "updated" us with trips to OD and seemed to find any excuse to write an article about this phenomena. So much in fact that googling bluebird brought up travel bloggers on the first page of results.

It isn't that the OD people "found out." They've always known. It's the internet. How hard could it be. The problem with the bloggers isn't that they let the OD or Chase folks in on the deal. It's that they drove volume into a program that couldn't sustain it. Too many tacos were being sold and not enough beer.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This!

I don't. But when they come out and say it's not only for the money, then we have a right to call them out on it.
Obviously, like you said, it's for the money. I have absolutely no issues with that. Just don't ... insult our intelligence. We're not stupid.
And this, too!

Last edited by mia; Feb 4, 2013 at 3:12 pm Reason: Edit quotation after editing source
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trekjoe
Right. Here's the deal. When I was in college a bar had "Taco Tuesdays" with tacos for only 10cents. Clearly a money losing proposition from the taco angle but they made up for it with beer sales. Some people came and only ordered water and ate 10cent tacos. The bar owner didn't care. Overall the promotion made money and that's all he cared about. If EVERYONE just drank water and ate tacos the deal would have died.

The same is true of things like the OD deal. A handful of people shifting spend into cc's then liquidating was a rounding error on the balance sheets. But then the bloggers couldn't shut up about it. Over and over they posted about and took photos, and drew arrows, and "updated" us with trips to OD and seemed to find any excuse to write an article about this phenomena. So much in fact that googling bluebird brought up travel bloggers on the first page of results.

It isn't that the OD people "found out." They've always known. It's the internet. How hard could it be. The problem with the bloggers isn't that they let the OD or Chase folks in on the deal. It's that they drove volume into a program that couldn't sustain it. Too many tacos were being sold and not enough beer.
You forgot to mention the big presentation in the "university" event...

I wonder what will the replacement topic in the upcoming "university" now one of the big topic of nx is dead...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.