Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by leftpinky
A company worth $200B having influence over a company nearing bankruptcy and trying to do whatever it ca to survive? Yeah, laughable
Yes, it is. And again, not a 'partner'
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Happy
On the HHonor literature, the drug stores are NAMED, they are not just generic drug stores, they are specifically names as purchases at those named drug stores will earn 6x.
Anyone have that list they can post? I don't have this card (yet) so I can't look up the list. Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:08 pm

Saw CVS, Walgreens and one other major chain on there.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: No preference
Let me guess, you're just guessing re: chase/OD relationship, right? Chase didn't all of a sudden do a 5x for office products without talking to their partners, which in this case would have been OD/Office max, staples. They monitor these things pretty closely and work with their partners to construct these promos in a way to make both profitable. I've worked and reviewed many of these types of deals and they're not put together indiscriminately.
I am ... and since you are not involved with the relationship between Chase and OD, your evaluation is too chief.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Office Depot has a specific merchant ID for Visa/MC/Amex that shows as Office Supply Store. When you use your Chase Ink at a merchant with that coding, you get 5x. It is not a specific partner.

Saw CVS, Walgreens and one other major chain on there.
CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, and Duane Reade for HHonors Amex.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Anyone have that list they can post? I don't have this card (yet) so I can't look up the list. Thanks.
You do know the drugstore 6x will not be available for New Cards?

For the existing cards this category bonus will be gone after May statement date, together with the telecom.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: Northwest, United

For the existing cards this category bonus will be gone after May statement date, together with the telecom.
I'm aware that the drug deal goes down after May.

However, I have heard from someone who just received a new card that their T&C included the 6X drug store deal. I can't confirm that myself, but see no reason why the person who reported this would lie about it:

I just got in an Amex Hilton Surpass for my wife, in the T&C the 6x drugstore is still there. One warning though, the eligible drugstores are named. CVS, Walgreens and a few other main ones but every drugstore is not eligible.
The same was reported by a second FTer.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:50 am
umc

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I'm aware that the drug deal goes down after May.

However, I have heard from someone who just received a new card that their T&C included the 6X drug store deal. I can't confirm that myself, but see no reason why the person who reported this would lie about it:

The same was reported by a second FTer.
My wife applied for the no fee Amex Hilton on Jan. 21st. Her T&C included the 6x drug store deal. Her first statement has closed yet, so I can't confirm if she receive 6x points for drug store purchases.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
AMEX is doing this with drug stores: they're limting it to a select few, so not unprecedented. Say there are 10,000 people doing the 5x with gift cards. Say on avergae they're doing $10k per year (some are doing 150k, others much less). That's $100M in extra charges, Chase pays out 5% but only gets back about 2.5% (max, OD, etc probably have better deals). You're looking at $2.5M in losses. Throw in bluebird, maybe 20k customers? May at $20k per year? and you're looking at a big chunk of change for a rewards program that is worth maybe a billion dollars. 1-3% increase in costs just for OD? probably not worth keep OD around as a 5x partner if they're screwing over UR, exp since Chase cancelled people's Shappire cards for MUCH less abuse
Why is Chase paying 5%?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:15 am

Do you think it's a good idea to grab few empty (unloaded) "beans" at CVS or other store and go to OD to buy them?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:19 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Originally Posted by groundhog
Do you think it's a good idea to grab few empty (unloaded) "beans" at CVS or other store and go to OD to buy them?
grab = steal?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:27 am
Suspended

Because nobody at OD would notice that you're trying to buy a product they no longer carry?

Sure, go for it
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt

What's a good alternative to AMEX Hitlon to pay telecom after May?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by ferrari_fan
If you are in this hobby for even a few months, you can figure out all sorts of new plays, typically using methods not even posted here on FT let alone other outfits. The only service you can do to others is not post openly about it anymore if it is clearly a loophole in any institution involved. Don't cross the lines and there is plenty of fun to be had.

5X is dead. Long live nX.
Then what's the point of this forum? If we're not going to share ideas then everyone might as well walk away from this part of FT. These deals come and go this has been going on for quite awhile and eventually it was going to die just like every other deal. I've been around FT long enough to know another deal will come along soon and everyone will just ride it out for as long as it lasts.
Cheers
Howie
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: many
It would be a good idea to wear a robber mask when you are there too.

Now who said fraud was not a factor in all of this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.