Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
I wonder if maybe we are aour own worste enemy when it comes to these variable load cards, forget all the talk about if these are profitable to OD. lets assume for just one minute that they everyone makes money on these, they realize that they are incredibly popular and someone gets to thinking these sell like hot cakes at just a 4.95 fee, if we incr4ease the price to 8.95 they will probably sell just was well and now we make an exrta 4 dollars. if any other bussiness has products that they are selling a lot of they raise the price and see what the demand will allow the price to goto. only problem with these cards is they have the fee preprinted on the package, so they need to pull the product to roll out the new one, of course the temporary scaricity of the product during the switchover may help with demand if they do in fact return.
a quick show of hands but who would still buy these variable cards at OD using the ink card if the fee was 8.95 per 500?
That would certainly be plausible and would be great if it's true, however I just can't imagine a few bucks would swing a $500 purchase from loss to profit. They probably pay close to 2% in merchant fees and will I imagine they either get a cut of the merchant fees on each swipe of the gift card or receive a cut of each one sold, I doubt it'd be significant.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I personally don't believe for a moment that this is being shut down due to mileage nuts abusing it. It is probably technical problems, lack of profitability, or some other issue.

First of all, Chase doesn't own OD. I doubt Chase credit cards provide enough business for OD for them to care what Chase thinks. If OD was making money selling these cards, why would they stop just because a bank asks them to?

If Chase really had an issue with this, there are several other, less drastic things they could have done. They could have individually shut down people who were abusing it. They could have placed a quarterly cap, like Amex BCP just did. They could have changed the structure of Ink Bold rewards in some other way. If all else failed on their end, they could have asked OD to stop letting people pay for these gift cards with credit cards.

I don't think "we" are the cause of this. There are other reasons for this move, and "we" are just the bystanders that got hit.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by cbn42
I personally don't believe for a moment that this is being shut down due to mileage nuts abusing it. It is probably technical problems, lack of profitability, or some other issue...

I don't think "we" are the cause of this. There are other reasons for this move, and "we" are just the bystanders that got hit.
Respectfully disagree.

Someone posted over the weekend that he was chatting with the manager of his local OD, and as he put it (I'm paraphrasing) "I got the clear impression that blogs with circles and arrows that turn FT readers into armies of mindless robots stripping the racks of these cards" as he put it "really infuriated them".

We know that the various companies read FT and the blogs. They know what we're doing, and I can easily see them getting pretty pissed off about it.

Put yourself in their position. Seeing blogs with photos of VR cards fanned out with smiles and red arrows isn't going to make them look very good.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: Too many to list
went back to OD store where I bought $500's last night and today they are all gone.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Someone posted over the weekend that he was chatting with the manager of his local OD, and as he put it (I'm paraphrasing) "I got the clear impression that blogs with circles and arrows that turn FT readers into armies of mindless robots stripping the racks of these cards" as he put it "really infuriated them"..
SO, OD got it's feelings hurt and pulled the cards they were making a profit on just because.

Not in a capitalist society...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: United 1K|SPG Plat
We know that the various companies read FT and the blogs. They know what we're doing, and I can easily see them getting pretty pissed off about it.

Put yourself in their position. Seeing blogs with photos of VR cards fanned out with smiles and red arrows isn't going to make them look very good.
It helps explain why. They are on the lookout for money laundering, so they are trained to notice people and patterns. Talking about the 5% everywhere idea is a logical explanation. A few OD people have asked me for more information on the idea (with ideas of trying themselves). I wasn't the first person buying large amounts on an Ink card and it sticks out.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:23 pm

$500 dollar gift cards are dead. Finally found one OD with the Vanilla cards with the 5.95 activation fee. Decided to just get them anyhow, go the register and CASH, CHECK, or DEBIT only. I was stunned. Cashier pointed to a sign right by the gift cards. New policy at least at this OD in the past few days. Left sad...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
SO, OD got it's feelings hurt and pulled the cards they were making a profit on just because.

Not in a capitalist society...
If they were making a profit, it apparently was not enough.

I do not think the profit margin (if any existed) was enough. In fact, I think OD was losing money.

3 of the 4 OD's I visited last weekend and spoke with managers stated this as the reason why. (people by the mass quantities in thousands with a CC and they were losing money).
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by shoreline
To be sure, if they were making a lot of money on these (off of us), they would still be selling them. But somebody eventually figured out that they way these were being exploited did not match up with their expected sales model and they clearly decided that they were not making enough to keep doing it.

The fact that if you googled the product, the first 15 hits that came up were pictures of Emily smirking as she clutched a fistful of them only made someone at Corporate look like an idiot for not putting a stop to this - not good for their career prospects. So they put a stop to it so they wouldn't look like such a complete fool to their boss.

Rubbing their noses in it didn't help. Basic human nature. Imagine yourself as the guy who has to account for this to his boss.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:27 pm

The fact that if you googled the product, the first 15 hits that came up were pictures of Emily smirking as she clutched a fistful of them only made someone at Corporate look like an idiot for not putting a stop to this
LOL

I agree, though...as paranoid as it sounds, a corporate decision makes sense. Although, I wouldn't just take an OD Managers personal opinion all too seriously. I doubt corporate let it's store managers know that it was because it was being abused by a bunch of flyer talkers.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
i recall reading on here that after card 7 the cvs registers freeze up,
Confirmed. If you are using $50 cards, you can only use six, and then for the remaining swipe use another credit card for the remaining $203.95
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, Hyatt, Marriott
Can't find any cards here in the south Denver area...... Another one bites the dust!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:45 pm

Respectfully disagree.

Someone posted over the weekend that he was chatting with the manager of his local OD, and as he put it (I'm paraphrasing) "I got the clear impression that blogs with circles and arrows that turn FT readers into armies of mindless robots stripping the racks of these cards" as he put it "really infuriated them".

Store managers don't make decisions like this. Where do these ideas come from?

Originally Posted by shoreline

I do not think the profit margin (if any existed) was enough. In fact, I think OD was losing money.

3 of the 4 OD's I visited last weekend and spoke with managers stated this as the reason why. (people by the mass quantities in thousands with a CC and they were losing money).
This makes sense.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I found one vanilla visa in the gold wrapper hidden among the other cards today at OD here in Fort Myers, I think they missed it when pulling them. I took it up along with some shell cards and loaded $500 without incident.

Judyjfla
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by rajin
Are you sure they pulled them and not just sold out? CVS inventory can move really quick sometimes.
Exactly. There are packs of hyenas who pounce on the cards whenever they find them. I had one stocked with well over 100 on Friday. I literally picked the last 2 today. I was looking around to see if any had been "hided", but no luck.

So that was ~$50K that went out the door in less than 5 days from one store in a very quiet neighborhood. Every time I had been in there, there weren't more than a handful of people - usually walked right up to the lone cashier (who often isn't even at the register - usually stocking shelves). Tell me that won't raise eyebrows at home office when the monthly report comes in. I bet that store didn't do $50K in normal sales in a week (other than prescriptions).

Now I know why people might want to "hided" these cards. If for no other reason, than to slow the goldrush activities of the usual nimrods who don't have a clue.

Goldrush mentality at it's finest...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.