Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by jrreynolds
Family Dollar was my closest store for a quick try.

cashier tried to accept both an SPG AMEX card and Ink Mastercard.
Both were denied. Perhaps Family Dollar does not accpt creditcards
I waS told by Amex BB that you can only load at Walmart. If you find the register reloads, they won't work. Dollar General was saying that my card was invalid.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yup, on the back of the OD receipt, it says gift cards can't be returned. Sheesh. Other than using it for ordinary spend (which isn't the end of the world, just a hassle) is there anything that can be done with these cards? I'm assuming a cash withdrawal from an ATM is not possible?

And now I still have to find a Vanilla reload card at an OD!
Can't u just buy a vanilla reload able with the vanilla visa?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by webazoid
Can't u just buy a vanilla reload able with the vanilla visa?
That would add another $3.95 fee though, assuming they let you do it.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
There is no evidence that current stock level has anything to do with restocking.

In fact, there seems to be quite a lot of evidence that it has no relationship at all.
It must have something to do with it, they wouldn't restock an already full shelf...

And managers most certainly can ask for additional stock, I know this from personal experience. (this was in response to another poster, not you).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by emptiness
do you have cellphone or home phone? give them a call
Or Skype if you don't.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
That would add another $3.95 fee though, assuming they let you do it.
Interesting. Any reason you can't buy a gift card with a gift card?

If you can, the next problem is finding an actual Vanilla reload card.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:58 pm

yup, you are right, my mistake. sorry for the noise.

Originally Posted by TravelByPoints
You are looking at the T&Cs for the prepaid card, not BB.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

If you can, the next problem is finding an actual Vanilla reload card.
Some places will, some won't. I have no personal experience. My thought is that you already have the Vanilla Visa, just spend it, rather than searching for a reload, getting lucky and finding one and then having to pay another $3.95.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.

If you can, the next problem is finding an actual Vanilla reload card.)
well actually, you'd need to do a split transaction at the register, and not all cashiers are accommodating about that. problem is you're buying the new reload card for $503.95, but your Vanilla Visa GC is only worth $500. So, the cashier has to ring up your purchase split between the Vanilla GC and another funding source for the extra $3.95 due. Some just don't know how, some just don't want to be bothered, and some think it's against the rules. But some just ring it right up. All you can do is try.

that is... IF you can find the beans.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:17 pm

Hi Folks,

How long from phone approval did it take your Ink card to arrive?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
Hi Folks,

How long from phone approval did it take your Ink card to arrive?
5-7 business days
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Corridor!
I waS told by Amex BB that you can only load at Walmart. If you find the register reloads, they won't work. Dollar General was saying that my card was invalid.
I had the same thing happen at Dollar General, also at Family Dollar. Both had the store loadable card - not one you take out of the store and load online. They require the 'reload' card be scanned, followed by the BB - at which point it says the card is invalid. One register gave a clue: it claimed that the card had to be 16 digits. The BB (and all AMEX) are 15 digits. Does anybody know of a way around this, such as ask the cashier to pad the digit with a zero or similar?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thegasguru
well actually, you'd need to do a split transaction at the register, and not all cashiers are accommodating about that. problem is you're buying the new reload card for $503.95, but your Vanilla Visa GC is only worth $500. So, the cashier has to ring up your purchase split between the Vanilla GC and another funding source for the extra $3.95 due. Some just don't know how, some just don't want to be bothered, and some think it's against the rules. But some just ring it right up. All you can do is try.
Or...and I know this is crazy....you buy a reload for $496.05
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ddallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightLight
Has anyone else gotten the "you already have a Serve account" message even though you already canceled your Serve account(s) many months ago? None of my email addresses are recognized as valid Serve accounts when I try to log in on Serve.com. Is there any other known way to resolve this problem?
If I recall correctly, some posters reported that situation early on. Probably near the front of the thread. I think they resolved it by calling.
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid calling in because, well, let's just say that I was not completely compliant with their T&Cs back when I was actively using my Serve account(s).

But I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and call their CS hotline. Hopefully my past usage patterns don't disqualify me from registering for Bluebird.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
You still got 2500+ UR points with your $500 Vanilla GC purchase--that's a great deal! You can use that card easily, online or in person, pretty much anywhere Visa is accepted. It's actually a really great card, and a really great deal: For every cent you spent, you got 5 UA or Hyatt points! Buying premium points for 0.2 cpp is absolutely great!

If you need a really good idea of how to unload it, PM me. I use this way all the time, but if I say it on here, everyone will get mad at me again. So yeah, PM me.

Last edited by Preacher7; Oct 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.