Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superorb
Why an Amex prepaid instead of a Visa prepaid? Amex has a higher load fee and Visas are accepted at more places.

My OD has a lot of the Vanilla Visa Gift Cards and the One Vanilla Cards. There are also MyVanilla Debit cards I think. Not sure what the difference is between all the Vanilla cards though, there are at least 4 kinds that I've seen.
You are incorrect. No MVD in OD. There is a huge difference between mvd and other vanilla flavors.
In nocal, I have better luck with amex prepaid instead of vanilla gift cards, the words "gift card" on the vanillas seems to set off multiple head explosions in CVS clerks, where prepaid does not.
Worth the extra $1 for me.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Finally went to a CVS that didn't allow GC's or debit cards to buy beans. Said they would only accept cash or credit. Showed them my amx gc and said it gets run through like a credit, she said she still couldn't accept it. No worries, i told her, i'll just pass for now. Went to two other CVS's in the area and used amx gc's just fine. That was a quick $5K gone this weekend, now, time to reorder the gc's.
which is funny cuz my area CVSs have touted that it is against corp policy to accept a GC to buy a GC/like product such as a VR (which isnt even a GC but yah whatever). So if it is corp policy then why are so many stores so different?

Oh well
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
which is funny cuz my area CVSs have touted that it is against corp policy to accept a GC to buy a GC/like product such as a VR (which isnt even a GC but yah whatever). So if it is corp policy then why are so many stores so different?

Oh well
Yeah, i think they just use company policy as the excuse...the first time i tried it, they said no, now i've been back to that store about 10 times and no issues using it. I just swipe and hand them the card so they can enter the last four.

I'm no longer worried about the buying of them, it's paying for it with a gift card that says "$3,000" on it...they all look at it, turn it over, inspect it, then hand it back and say "wow, that is a really nice gift". I usually just sheepishly say "yeah".
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: Several dozen
Because its all about diversity, MM. The government promotes diversity so we, being patriotic citizens, capitalize on it!

So if it is corp policy then why are so many stores so different?

Oh well
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
it's paying for it with a gift card that says "$3,000" on it...they all look at it, turn it over, inspect it, then hand it back and say "wow, that is a really nice gift". I usually just sheepishly say "yeah".
I would say, "someone really likes me!"
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:55 am

looks like several of the CVS' in the NYC area finally have VR or have finally reloaded.

some accept CC, some don't. either way i'm having no trouble filling my monthly quotas.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Because its all about diversity, MM. The government promotes diversity so we, being patriotic citizens, capitalize on it!
indeed I try... oh yes indeed.

Yeah, i think they just use company policy as the excuse...the first time i tried it, they said no, now i've been back to that store about 10 times and no issues using it. I just swipe and hand them the card so they can enter the last four.

I'm no longer worried about the buying of them, it's paying for it with a gift card that says "$3,000" on it...they all look at it, turn it over, inspect it, then hand it back and say "wow, that is a really nice gift". I usually just sheepishly say "yeah".
I have had some interesting experiences in my most local CVS... a few years ago I was using Amex ones to try to buy CVS Visa GCs and they actually called the cops on me thinking I was doing fraud--even THOUGH I showed my ID, was in there a lot for other stuff and had already lived in the town and used that CVS for 5+ years. the cops and I laughed it off once I explained I was just trying to get miles and now that manager is no longer at that CVS but the new one also has a policy to not sell any GC to a GC, citing that this is from above. I hate the lies they throw us--and yet WE are the ones they think are doing something wrong!

I mean hey, they can refuse to sell anyone anything, but why WOULD they unless they are jerks? And so I do not try to buy GCs with this or any CVS stores--not worth the hit or miss arguments and stressful discussions by less than knowledgeable self-empowered clerks and managers who think they know all about suspected fraud, etc. It makes my blood boil in fact so i try to avoid it and just buy and go.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:09 am
Suspended

indeed I try... oh yes indeed.

I have had some interesting experiences in my most local CVS... a few years ago I was using Amex ones to try to buy CVS Visa GCs and they actually called the cops on me thinking I was doing fraud--even THOUGH I showed my ID, was in there a lot for other stuff and had already lived in the town and used that CVS for 5+ years. the cops and I laughed it off once I explained I was just trying to get miles and now that manager is no longer at that CVS but the new one also has a policy to not sell any GC to a GC, citing that this is from above. I hate the lies they throw us--and yet WE are the ones they think are doing something wrong!

I mean hey, they can refuse to sell anyone anything, but why WOULD they unless they are jerks? And so I do not try to buy GCs with this or any CVS stores--not worth the hit or miss arguments and stressful discussions by less than knowledgeable self-empowered clerks and managers who think they know all about suspected fraud, etc. It makes my blood boil in fact so i try to avoid it and just buy and go.
I use each CVS trip as a philosophical and spiritual journey into the unknown
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by member7777
lol sounds to me you have been visiting the back counter with all the drugs, not the part of the store that sells beans

(but i agree!)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:26 am
Suspended

lol sounds to me you have been visiting the back counter with all the drugs, not the part of the store that sells beans

(but i agree!)
I have wanted to try the pharmacy area just to see if they were more lenient, but the clerk was unable to process and I wisely took it up front before the "manager" got called in to help. Funny, because the manager came and opened a new line and grabbed me, and said "so you are buying a gift card with a prepaid card" and I said yes, the new one was reloadable, and he told me I would have to register it online, and proceeded to process like there was nothing wrong.
800 more transactions like that and I will have balanced the karmic tides of rejection
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Yes, this captures it!

This weekend the cashier was hesitant to sell me two at $500 at once. I said I had purchased two before. She replied she would call me if this caused a problem when they ran the register. I was going to ask "how?" but just said "ok" and moved on...I don't have a CVS loyalty card...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:36 am

Grrr. My favorite CVS either got hit very hard or removed them from the shelves. Here I was going slow and steady, and someone else basically liquidated them in a couple of days.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:36 am

You are incorrect. No MVD in OD. There is a huge difference between mvd and other vanilla flavors.
In nocal, I have better luck with amex prepaid instead of vanilla gift cards, the words "gift card" on the vanillas seems to set off multiple head explosions in CVS clerks, where prepaid does not.
Worth the extra $1 for me.
I had one similar issue. The VR card which says "gift" and has a picture of a gift on it was not accepted once because the cashier called it a gift card. Haven't had many troubles since.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:49 am

Has anyone else actually bought office supplies lately? I actually needed some ink this weekend and went into my local office supply store. It felt strange to make a real purchase of something other than a gift card with my Ink Bold.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unable to set up US Bank CC as payee

Does anyone have issue setting up a US Bank issued Club Carlson Credit Card as Payee?

I tried to use US Bank, or US Bank Credit Card from the list - BB insists either the number of the card is entered wrong or I need a correct zip code of 5 or 9 digits...

The thing is, when you pick it from the existing BB list, there is not even a field for the zip code to enter.

I really dont want a paper check to send to US Bank I want an ACH which seems only available if the payee can successfully be added from BB's list...

I am not sure if it is a brand new card before its first billing cycle would have anything to do with it. Right now it is not recognizable by BB. Though a friend also failed to billpay one of his long-existing PenFed card while another PenFed card was set up without any issue.

May have to resort to withdraw money to linked bank account as the Club Carlson card is used heavily with 65% charges from VRs and the remaining 35% from a payment for a cruise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.