FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

jackiesyu Mar 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ntr91 (Post 22600176)
Has anyone been able to load this with off the rack Amex gift cards? I tried to load one today and the system wouldn't allow it. The cashier was very helpful and even tried to load with half the amount, but the system kept rejecting the transaction.

Off the rack Amex gift cards? you mean those $100 or $200 AMEX gift card you can buy from the store? I have used those around Dec 2013 and had no issue with them. The cashier did not even have to specify amount during each swipe and could use 10 x $100 +$3 to pay for the $1000 load...

vinhboy Mar 27, 2014 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1 (Post 22600950)
For this to be effective you need a better than 2x card which the AGC essentially is (2% CB plus points for purchase). I have access to a fee free ATM (CU) and use 4 AFT cards and buy AGC using APG, so this is 10k MR points plus $107 / month profit after stripping out load and unload fees.

Your math is really making me reconsider the AFT. The only other factor would be time investment. Since you can only load $1K/day, do you load all 4 of your AFT in one visit?

Haleyb Mar 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1 (Post 22600950)
When I wrote this I couldn't figure out an easy way to describe a more optimal approach so took the path of what is easiest for most to follow. If you see this as a long term play (unlike some prepaids where you want to go in hard as you will be shutdown regardless) then the 1st month inefficiency isn't much of an issue.

For this to be effective you need a better than 2x card which the AGC essentially is (2% CB plus points for purchase). I have access to a fee free ATM (CU) and use 4 AFT cards and buy AGC using APG, so this is 10k MR points plus $107 / month profit after stripping out load and unload fees.

Yeah, I was thinking that some open this to meet min spend on the 100k Citibank card and might want to not wait, but I couldn't figure out an elegant way to say it either.

bevoinva Mar 27, 2014 9:54 pm

I've updated the Wiki to show the proper load limits. The language I included is cut directly from the T & C on the AMEX website. Daily limit is still $1,000 per card. Maximum balance you can have on any single card is $2,500 and maximum balance you can have on all of your cards combined is $5,000. Maximum load amount for all cards you have in any 28 day period is $5,000.

There are different limits when using direct deposit from a bank account but I'm guessing that won't be too relevant in these parts.

I never really fully understood the simultaneous loading of cards that others in this thread have done - there was an example in the previous version of the wiki but it didn't seem to match up with the limits above. If that is still applicable and I shouldn't have taken that out, then maybe someone can put that back in as appropriate.

vinhboy Mar 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva (Post 22602199)
I've updated the Wiki to show the proper load limits.

^ Good call. The previous paragraphs about maximizing load vs fees was confusing as heck.

cyclotron Mar 28, 2014 12:04 am

Originally Posted by FredFnord (Post 22601090)
I may have missed this somewhere back in the previous 100 pages, but: Target lists some stores as carrying these cards and some as not, on their web site. Will the ones that don't carry them still reload them for you?

Yes, they can be loaded at any target store at customer service. They just can not be bought at all stores.

LoneTree Mar 28, 2014 1:47 am

Originally Posted by cyclotron (Post 22602659)

Originally Posted by FredFnord (Post 22601090)
I may have missed this somewhere back in the previous 100 pages, but: Target lists some stores as carrying these cards and some as not, on their web site. Will the ones that don't carry them still reload them for you?

Yes, they can be loaded at any target store at customer service. They just can not be bought at all stores.

Not necessarily. Some stores cannot load them.

*Most* can.

sethjvm Mar 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22602908)
Not necessarily. Some stores cannot load them.

*Most* can.

I am in MSP. I purchased 2 AFT last week at a target in town that sells them. I activated both temp cards and can obtain a PIN online which I was told by customer service means I am approved.

I went to another Target (that does not sell AFT) in town this morning to load $1000 on each from an AMEX gift card. I went to Customer Service. They scanned my card and nothing came up on the screen that told them how to load. They even showed me the screen after they scanned the card.

So, I figure it is one of three things: my cards are not approved, the Target is not a Target that can do loads or they should have swiped rather than scanned my card.

exarkun Mar 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by sethjvm (Post 22606455)
I am in MSP. I purchased 2 AFT last week at a target in town that sells them.

Which one?

MsArbi Mar 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Deleted.

jackiesyu Mar 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by sethjvm (Post 22606455)
I am in MSP. I purchased 2 AFT last week at a target in town that sells them. I activated both temp cards and can obtain a PIN online which I was told by customer service means I am approved.

I went to another Target (that does not sell AFT) in town this morning to load $1000 on each from an AMEX gift card. I went to Customer Service. They scanned my card and nothing came up on the screen that told them how to load. They even showed me the screen after they scanned the card.

So, I figure it is one of three things: my cards are not approved, the Target is not a Target that can do loads or they should have swiped rather than scanned my card.

Are you using permanent card or still the temp card? I could be wrong, but I don't think you can load onto temp card.

sethjvm Mar 28, 2014 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun (Post 22606614)
Which one?

They have them at the St. Louis Park target on 7.

rdover1 Mar 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy (Post 22601350)
Your math is really making me reconsider the AFT. The only other factor would be time investment. Since you can only load $1K/day, do you load all 4 of your AFT in one visit?

Yes. I've synched all their reload dates.
Day 1: 4x $1000
Day 2: 4x $1000
Day 5: 2x $1000 (slight delay so I have enough time to unload first)

Registers can do 3 cards in 1 transaction. Don't try 4 in one go it will fail.
I had one store refuse to load my wife's pair of cards and a manager came over and 'made an exception'. Normally never an issue.
When not using AGC to load I also use this way to dump large numbers of lower value GC like from the OD deal last month as you can do at least 7 swipes for payment.

sethjvm Mar 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by jackiesyu (Post 22606795)
Are you using permanent card or still the temp card? I could be wrong, but I don't think you can load onto temp card.

It was a temp card but I thought people had been able to load temp cards with gift cards.

rdover1 Mar 28, 2014 4:25 pm

It is because the text below makes it unclear that you can do the pattern I suggested. $2k on one card, $3k on the other = 5 load fees. $2.5k on each card is 6 load fees.

Originally Posted by bevoinva (Post 22602199)
I've updated the Wiki to show the proper load limits. The language I included is cut directly from the T & C on the AMEX website. Daily limit is still $1,000 per card. Maximum balance you can have on any single card is $2,500 and maximum balance you can have on all of your cards combined is $5,000. Maximum load amount for all cards you have in any 28 day period is $5,000.

There are different limits when using direct deposit from a bank account but I'm guessing that won't be too relevant in these parts.

I never really fully understood the simultaneous loading of cards that others in this thread have done - there was an example in the previous version of the wiki but it didn't seem to match up with the limits above. If that is still applicable and I shouldn't have taken that out, then maybe someone can put that back in as appropriate.