FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

nakataboi Apr 5, 14 1:17 pm

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

Could be location specific too. I load in irvine, CA. Maybe I'll try other OC locations!

kingrat Apr 5, 14 3:53 pm

went to 5 targets - 1 had about 6 in stock went to buy it at the cashier and she didn't know how to do it. 2 more cashiers tried but no luck..

Went to customer service and manager didnt know how to do it. She looked it up and it said the card was not sold at that store.

anyone work at Target can comment on how to ring it up?

FredFnord Apr 5, 14 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 22654993)
went to 5 targets - 1 had about 6 in stock went to buy it at the cashier and she didn't know how to do it. 2 more cashiers tried but no luck..

Went to customer service and manager didnt know how to do it. She looked it up and it said the card was not sold at that store.

I just watched a cashier ring one up. She just scanned it, and it came up on the register. If your store doesn't do that, I suspect that your store isn't supporting it.

FredFnord Apr 5, 14 4:31 pm

If someone who can edit the wiki wants to...

It looks like I can't edit the wiki. (Or, at least, I don't see a link to edit it anywhere.) But I can contribute something: no, you can't do this with target gift cards. In fact, the first thing that comes up after the initial swipe of a card is a window on the register telling them not to allow Target gift cards.

kingrat Apr 5, 14 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by FredFnord (Post 22655127)
I just watched a cashier ring one up. She just scanned it, and it came up on the register. If your store doesn't do that, I suspect that your store isn't supporting it.

Strange they sell it

LoneTree Apr 5, 14 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by FredFnord (Post 22655127)

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 22654993)

Not all registers in a store support this. When I bought mine I had to go to a specific type of register.

kingrat Apr 5, 14 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22655262)
Not all registers in a store support this. When I bought mine I had to go to a specific type of register.

Jesus - what more hoops do I have to jump through..

Maybe the answer is that the employees are just idiots - ok, Ill be nice - under trained...

repvip Apr 5, 14 10:38 pm

$1000 loads

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22652636)
I've never had an issue with weekly limits.

Thank you I appreciate your response!

Another question:

I have read that the register is smart enough to automatically drain a GC, and prompt for additional slide to complete transaction.

If you ask to load $1000.00 from say an AGC, that is a $2000 card, how do you prevent the register from draining $1003? Do you have to specifically ask to do a split-tender transaction?

OR

Is it better/easier to load from $1000 AGCs only? Regsiter should auto drain your $1000, and prompt for an additional payment for the $3 load fee?

LoneTree Apr 6, 14 1:18 am

Originally Posted by repvip (Post 22656312)

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22652636)
I've never had an issue with weekly limits.

Thank you I appreciate your response!

Another question:

I have read that the register is smart enough to automatically drain a GC, and prompt for additional slide to complete transaction.

If you ask to load $1000.00 from say an AGC, that is a $2000 card, how do you prevent the register from draining $1003? Do you have to specifically ask to do a split-tender transaction?

OR

Is it better/easier to load from $1000 AGCs only? Regsiter should auto drain your $1000, and prompt for an additional payment for the $3 load fee?

It will try to bill for the total amount including fee if funds are available. I asked once about a split transaction and the clerk seemed willing, but they were extremely reluctant to on a GC. (The one time they freaked out about GCs.) I usually just let it drain the total including fee and then when the GC is short use a second CC.

LoneTree Apr 6, 14 1:20 am

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 22655717)

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22655262)

Jesus - what more hoops do I have to jump through..

Maybe the answer is that the employees are just idiots - ok, Ill be nice - under trained...

I can't remember exactly, but they needed a register with a specific type of barcode scanner for the initial purchase. Clerks took me to three registers before they found one with the hardware. This was in DC.

kingrat Apr 6, 14 6:56 am

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22656714)
I can't remember exactly, but they needed a register with a specific type of barcode scanner for the initial purchase. Clerks took me to three registers before they found one with the hardware. This was in DC.

Thanks... I will go buy the card and take it to another to reload...

Haleyb Apr 6, 14 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by FredFnord (Post 22655137)
It looks like I can't edit the wiki. (Or, at least, I don't see a link to edit it anywhere.) But I can contribute something: no, you can't do this with target gift cards. In fact, the first thing that comes up after the initial swipe of a card is a window on the register telling them not to allow Target gift cards.

100 posts to edit wiki's

I can add it.

Haleyb Apr 6, 14 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Domat (Post 22654336)
In the wiki what does "dropped" mean? I assumed that it means withdrawing from the ATM but why wait so long to withdraw and how is he "dropping" 1000 at a time or whatever when the limit is 400 per day?

Looking at it again I guess he means that is over 28 days since the load day and you can now load again as that day.

^

repvip Apr 6, 14 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22656710)
It will try to bill for the total amount including fee if funds are available. I asked once about a split transaction and the clerk seemed willing, but they were extremely reluctant to on a GC. (The one time they freaked out about GCs.) I usually just let it drain the total including fee and then when the GC is short use a second CC.

Thank you thank you!

I loaded $500 today from AGC onto a newly purchased AFT and was pleasantly surprised that, for the $503.00 total, and only having $500.00 on the AGC, the transaction was not cancelled, and the swipe terminal popped up with an option for "I would like to pay with an additional way" or something to that effect, which let me select it and proceed with the transaction. Cashier asked how much to put on each card. Easy!

Here I was thinking my area was heavily MS'ed, but it seems doubtful when dealing with amex for target--nobody at target knows anything about them!

Haleyb Apr 6, 14 9:52 pm

Loading multiple cards in a single transaction will still result in a $3 fee for each card. If identical transactions cause a decline, loading multiple cards in one transaction might help.