FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

sosamo Apr 4, 2014 11:34 am

Originally Posted by nakataboi (Post 22648936)
Unfortunately that hasn't helped. Last night I actually kept the fraud department on the phone with me while I told them I was making the $1003 transaction. He said he wasn't sure why it was triggering a fraud alert because Citi released any/all holds on my card.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried with another bank's CC recently... I think I remember having this same issue with my US Bank card as well a few months back but I just gave up using it at target.

Well, when Citi Denied my twice (1 each for the 2 AFT I was buying), i used my Arrival twice. no issues. $503 each swipe.

sosamo Apr 4, 2014 11:41 am

I am using AFT for my AGC. I used to load them to my SERVE at CVS. I am thinking the cost to load and withdraw 5k is about $65.00. I make about $150.00 through 3% portal/points/miles.

And meet spend.

Haleyb Apr 4, 2014 12:15 pm

I have had better luck using secure message to get Citi fraud alerts to clear fast. Within minutes. Much better than a call.

I got a fraud alert from Chase opening the AFT with a new card. It isn't just Citi, fraud alerts on new CC's are normal.

Citi will deny a second identical $ amount if they are too close together, even a seasoned card. It is the identical $ amount that is the trigger. Ran into it at Safeway this week.

$104.95, second transaction failed. I have run into it even on seasoned cards.

sosamo Apr 4, 2014 12:25 pm

Question.
Day 1: Purchase card #1, load $500
Day 3: Purchase card #2, load $500; Load card #1 ($1500)

Can I change it to:
Day 2: Purchase card #2, load $500; Load card #1 ($1500)

bobloblaw Apr 5, 2014 2:30 am

Loading question--how do I tell the cashier I want to load 2 cards in the same transaction and lower the chances they the cashier messes up and I end up paying two $3 fees? So far all the cashiers I've asked to reload my card are completely clueless that the product even existed.

Also just realized that the balance can exceed $2500.. can reload $1k as long as balance is under $2500 at time of reload?

repvip Apr 5, 2014 2:45 am

Originally Posted by sosamo (Post 22649289)
Question.
Day 3: Purchase card #2, load $500; Load card #1 ($1500)

Can I change it to:
Day 2: Purchase card #2, load $500; Load card #1 ($1500)

You can purchase a second card on day #2, but you may not be able to load card #1 until amex verifies your information... it usually takes two days.

From the T&C:
You will not be able to reload your Card with funds until your customer information has been verified, which could take up to two (2) business days from time of purchase, and you will not be able to access funds from an ATM until your customer information has been verified and you have received and activated your personalized Card

repvip Apr 5, 2014 3:04 am

ATM Access and weekly limits

Question about ATM withdrawal amounts per week:

Is there a cap on the amount you can withdraw from ATM's per week? I have read and seen conflicting information.

From the T&C on AFT webpage:
"Subject to the amount of Available Funds on your Card, you may use the Card to obtain up to $400 US per card, per day, plus any fees assessed."

I recently picked up an AFT card and read through the T&C in the package. Regarding ATM access, it states:
"To get cash, use the "withdrawal from checking" option at a participating ATM. Subject to the amount of Available Funds on your Card, you may use the Card to obtain up to $200 US per week, plus any fees assessed."

This is incorrect? I assume the website is more current, and that $400/day is the max, but what is the max per week?

FYI, the cashier had no clue on how to do the transaction. When the AFT UPC is scanned, the POS pops up with "May not be paid for with target gift card" I loaded $497 using an AGC. The POS screen went to "please wait" for about 2 minutes, and I finally asked the cashier to cancel the transaction. When he did, it spit out the receipt and was activated/complete. Weird.

Also, I don't see how anyone is being declined when loading. Directly from the AFT website T&C: "(iii) by loading funds at participating Target stores in the US using any tender type that is accepted at Target stores."

LoneTree Apr 5, 2014 3:42 am

Originally Posted by repvip (Post 22652578)
Question about ATM withdrawal amounts per week:

Is there a cap on the amount you can withdraw from ATM's per week? I have read and seen conflicting information.

From the T&C on AFT webpage:
"Subject to the amount of Available Funds on your Card, you may use the Card to obtain up to $400 US per card, per day, plus any fees assessed."

I recently picked up an AFT card and read through the T&C in the package. Regarding ATM access, it states:
"To get cash, use the "withdrawal from checking" option at a participating ATM. Subject to the amount of Available Funds on your Card, you may use the Card to obtain up to $200 US per week, plus any fees assessed."

This is incorrect? I assume the website is more current, and that $400/day is the max, but what is the max per week?

FYI, the cashier had no clue on how to do the transaction. When the AFT UPC is scanned, the POS pops up with "May not be paid for with target gift card" I loaded $497 using an AGC. The POS screen went to "please wait" for about 2 minutes, and I finally asked the cashier to cancel the transaction. When he did, it spit out the receipt and was activated/complete. Weird.

Also, I don't see how anyone is being declined when loading. Directly from the AFT website T&C: "(iii) by loading funds at participating Target stores in the US using any tender type that is accepted at Target stores."

I've never had an issue with weekly limits.

exarkun Apr 5, 2014 7:43 am

Has anyone ever found this card for sale at a Target that was not listed on the AFT site as selling it?

sosamo Apr 5, 2014 8:11 am

Originally Posted by repvip (Post 22652543)
You can purchase a second card on day #2, but you may not be able to load card #1 until amex verifies your information... it usually takes two days.

From the T&C:
You will not be able to reload your Card with funds until your customer information has been verified, which could take up to two (2) business days from time of purchase, and you will not be able to access funds from an ATM until your customer information has been verified and you have received and activated your personalized Card

Thanks.

So I went to Target to get my 2nd AFT card. Declined again. ... Citi. I already spent 10 mins on the phone the day before, and they said everything has been verified. Card declined again for $503.00 Again this is a new Citi Hilton Reserve.

nakataboi Apr 5, 2014 8:56 am

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

As I stated in my datapoint on the previous page, citi right now seems to have a block on anything more than $500. You will need to load $497

jackiesyu Apr 5, 2014 9:22 am

Originally Posted by nakataboi (Post 22653591)
As I stated in my datapoint on the previous page, citi right now seems to have a block on anything more than $500. You will need to load $497

Not true. Maybe with new cards? I just did $1003 transaction yesterday evening on a Citi card and it had no issue.

From my previous experience, you could call in and ask the customer service rep to hold when you are doing the transaction. But usually, if you got a fraud alert and cleared, you should be able to make the purchase on the same day without an issue, especially you let them know that you will have a transaction above $1k coming from target.

nakataboi Apr 5, 2014 10:15 am

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

Sadly true for my account at least. Attempted a few of my Aa cards, one newer AA exec which has this "$500 limit" and my 2 year old AA Amex. That Amex has high spend on it at target, cvs, and other places throughout the last year. Still denied when trying higher than $500. I even kept the fraud rep on the phone and she couldn't tell me why it was getting denied having released the hold prior to trying again.

jackiesyu Apr 5, 2014 11:00 am

Originally Posted by nakataboi (Post 22653882)
Sadly true for my account at least. Attempted a few of my Aa cards, one newer AA exec which has this "$500 limit" and my 2 year old AA Amex. That Amex has high spend on it at target, cvs, and other places throughout the last year. Still denied when trying higher than $500. I even kept the fraud rep on the phone and she couldn't tell me why it was getting denied having released the hold prior to trying again.

OK, so this makes the YMMV situation then. That's very unfortunate for you. Hope I wont be treated this way in the future...I'd better not take things for granted...I guess you will have to split the payment if you still want to load $1000 at a time...

Domat Apr 5, 2014 12:07 pm

In the wiki what does "dropped" mean? I assumed that it means withdrawing from the ATM but why wait so long to withdraw and how is he "dropping" 1000 at a time or whatever when the limit is 400 per day?

Looking at it again I guess he means that is over 28 days since the load day and you can now load again as that day.