FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

aresay Apr 3, 14 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo (Post 22644625)
I went to my 4th Target, and found some.

Just curious. Can this card to use as a Debit card? Or is that only for V and M/C?

I was thinking if it's possible to load it to my BB or Serve. That way I don't have to go to the ATM.

No, pin can only be used at an ATM

sosamo Apr 3, 14 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by aresay (Post 22644738)
No, pin can only be used at an ATM

Oh ok. thanks.

kingrat Apr 3, 14 7:11 pm

Can't find this anywhereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

sosamo Apr 3, 14 10:33 pm

I went to another Target just for the heck of it. There were rolls of AFT.

So Cal.

nakataboi Apr 4, 14 1:38 am

Has anyone run into a Fraud alert being triggered over when a single swipe is done over $500?

Example:
Attempted to load $1000, total $1003. Swiped Citi Exec MC, denied. I then got an email from citi that a fraud alert was triggered... Great. Called, asked them about it, got it released and they said i was good to try the $1003 again.

Tried the same exact thing... denied. Another fraud alert. I gave up with this target... decided to go over to another one in my area.

Tried again... denied, fraud alert.

After all that... I ended up trying $1003, putting $500 on my citi exec AA, $500 on another card I need to complete min spend on, and $3 on a third card. APPROVED.

Lesson I learned... you can't swipe with anything over $500 at least at my targets and... for citi? This specific card is new (3 days old) but I've tried this with a 1.5 year old AA Plat Visa and the same happened. Not sure if the culprit is Citi or something changed after the whole Target hacking situation.

FWIW I haven't tried loading with only the Citi AA but having them swipe it in... $500 + $500 + $3.

Anyone else hit this limitation?

jiffyjiff Apr 4, 14 4:45 am

Originally Posted by nakataboi (Post 22646401)
Has anyone run into a Fraud alert being triggered over when a single swipe is done over $500?

Example:
Attempted to load $1000, total $1003. Swiped Citi Exec MC, denied. I then got an email from citi that a fraud alert was triggered... Great. Called, asked them about it, got it released and they said i was good to try the $1003 again.

Tried the same exact thing... denied. Another fraud alert. I gave up with this target... decided to go over to another one in my area.

After all that... I ended up trying $1003, putting $500 on my citi exec AA, $500 on another card I need to complete min spend on, and $3 on a third card. APPROVED.

Lesson I learned... you can't swipe with anything over $500 at least at my targets and... for citi? This specific card is new (3 days old) but I've tried this with a 1.5 year old AA Plat Visa and the same happened. Not sure if the culprit is Citi or something changed after the whole Target hacking situation.

FWIW I haven't tried loading with only the Citi AA but having them swipe it in... $500 + $500 + $3.

Cards just need to learn your shopping pattern and that you're now buying lots of stuff at Target rather than CVS....

kingrat Apr 4, 14 6:55 am

can someone find me a card and send it and Ill pay....

ntr91 Apr 4, 14 9:20 am

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 22647213)

Won't work. You need DL, DOB and SSN at the register when purchasing.

Fuerza Apr 4, 14 9:32 am

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 22647213)

Honestly I would look at other avenues beside Target for Amex. It is loaded with fees. I only use it to achieve spending bonuses. Then it goes into the shoe box till I apply for a new CC.

FatTalker Apr 4, 14 11:08 am

Originally Posted by nakataboi (Post 22646401)

Example:

I have the exact same problem. I do not see how Citi would learn my spending patterns if they keep rejecting everything.

raccah Apr 4, 14 11:17 am

Originally Posted by FatTalker (Post 22648500)
I have the exact same problem. I do not see how Citi would learn my spending patterns if they keep rejecting everything.

Citi gets very wary of you and your card if they see large transactions right out of the gate. At this point you are in what they call "fraud card" territory. Call them and have a conversation. Tell them you have the card and go through the security questions. Then say, I have had the card and the last "X" number of times you have denied me. It is embarrassing and annoying. Please reset my card so that I can spend as I need. tell them that you will be spending 1K or so at Target and CVS or a grocery store and that you will be in need of a card that actually works! They will help!

sosamo Apr 4, 14 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff (Post 22646844)
Cards just need to learn your shopping pattern and that you're now buying lots of stuff at Target rather than CVS....

I was at Target last night to get the AFT. New Citi Hilton Reserve. Swipe for 503.00 denied.

Called Citi later that night, and was on the phone with the fraud department for like 10 mins.

Question though. Did you tell the cashier you wanted to load 1k? Do you have to tell them you are using multiple cards ahead of time, ex. card 1, card 2, and card 3 for 3.00.

I don't want to try my 1k AGC and get denied cuz i am short 3.00.

nakataboi Apr 4, 14 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo (Post 22648640)
I was at Target last night to get the AFT. New Citi Hilton Reserve. Swipe for 503.00 denied.

Called Citi later that night, and was on the phone with the fraud department for like 10 mins.

Question though. Did you tell the cashier you wanted to load 1k? Do you have to tell them you are using multiple cards ahead of time, ex. card 1, card 2, and card 3 for 3.00.

I don't want to try my 1k AGC and get denied cuz i am short 3.00.

I figured it out over the last 3 times ive been to target. It's auto denial from a Citi card if it's over $500.00. You can load $1000 (total $1003) as long as you split the transactions up into $500 + $500 + $3.

The real question is... can I get away with swiping the same Citi card 3 times.... :) I'll let you know tonight

Edit*: Sorry didn't answer your question. Tell them you want to load $1k, they'll tell you $1003 total... then say can I split it up and do $XXX.XX first? They don't care (at least in my area) that I use visa/Amex GCs (i use my target amex to liquidate rebate cards often). THey usually just tell me to swipe, run it as credit then they punch in the last 4. So far it's been successful every time except for this damn Citi issue that will autodeny over $500.

nakataboi Apr 4, 14 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by raccah (Post 22648554)
Citi gets very wary of you and your card if they see large transactions right out of the gate. At this point you are in what they call "fraud card" territory. Call them and have a conversation. Tell them you have the card and go through the security questions. Then say, I have had the card and the last "X" number of times you have denied me. It is embarrassing and annoying. Please reset my card so that I can spend as I need. tell them that you will be spending 1K or so at Target and CVS or a grocery store and that you will be in need of a card that actually works! They will help!

Unfortunately that hasn't helped. Last night I actually kept the fraud department on the phone with me while I told them I was making the $1003 transaction. He said he wasn't sure why it was triggering a fraud alert because Citi released any/all holds on my card.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried with another bank's CC recently... I think I remember having this same issue with my US Bank card as well a few months back but I just gave up using it at target.

FatTalker Apr 4, 14 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by nakataboi (Post 22648936)
I'm curious if anyone else has tried with another bank's CC recently... I think I remember having this same issue with my US Bank card as well a few months back but I just gave up using it at target.

After Citi denies the charge, I end up paying the $1003 with Chase BA. No problems with Chase.