Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Originally Posted by tonyflyer
A friend asks me to send 3k to his daughter in college in the next several days (can't wait until next month), I'm looking for ways to get miles/points for this.

Can't use AP as I have already paid close to 1k this month for something else? My Serve account was closed in order to get BB. I could send her a check from my BB account, but I'd rather use the fund to pay upcoming property tax, etc.

Any suggestion on how to best utilize this for points/miles?
Why not buy more reload cards to fund your BB account (if you can find any that is)?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
The rebate is technically $15 per transaction if you buy $100 or more in gift cards. If you buy all 5 on one transaction you should get $15. If you buy 5 on separate transactions you should get $75.
I do not recall the original rebate specifying per transaction. I got the same email as well. Guess I should just go buy another 7x$100 in seven different transactions, and I'll let the store know exactly why I'm doing it that way, not to be a pain, but because their company doesn't post a clear promo.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:56 pm

That's the problem, can't get VR reload cards in CVS/Walgreens at bay area, yet.

Why not buy more reload cards to fund your BB account (if you can find any that is)?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
The rebate is technically $15 per transaction if you buy $100 or more in gift cards. If you buy all 5 on one transaction you should get $15. If you buy 5 on separate transactions you should get $75.
A guy over at Slickdeals chatted with a Staples rep and the rep said he's going to get $90 for the 3x $200 GC purchase, so it looks like it's $15 rebate per $100, regardless of how many you buy at a time (up to $1000).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majikow
A guy over at Slickdeals chatted with a Staples rep and the rep said he's going to get $90 for the 3x $200 GC purchase, so it looks like it's $15 rebate per $100, regardless of how many you buy at a time (up to $1000).
Yeah, mine was $15 over what the total should be. I wouldn't mind losing the $15, since that was above how I interpreted the promo, but I want the rest of it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by Majikow
it looks like it's $15 rebate per $100, regardless of how many you buy at a time (up to $1000).
I can confirm this.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Originally Posted by SGJazz
I can confirm this.
OK then that's much better if that's true. At least I don't have to kick myself for buying all of them in one transaction.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK then that's much better if that's true. At least I don't have to kick myself for buying all of them in one transaction.
FWIW I bought my $1000 in 3 separate transactions. I hadn't submitted the third one until just now, I bought 1 $200 GC. It said I would receive a $30 Staples GC rebate, so it looks like things are smooth.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:35 pm

Are you able to load the Amazon gift cards available at Kroger to Amazon Payments? I was going to buy and try, but figured I'd ask you great people first.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I did 3 x $200 VISA gift cards at Staples. Rebate center said I was eligible for a $135 rebate after submission. But I just got the below email from Staples. Looks like they're in the process of "fixing" the glitch and will be adjusting the amount of the gift cards:

Dear Valued Staples Customer,

We have identified you as one of the consumers who may have visited the
Staples Easy Rebate site to track your rebate. Upon tracking your
submission, you may have noticed that the value of your rebate might
have calculated incorrectly.

Please know that we are working to correct this issue. When you
receive your Staples gift card in the mail, it will be loaded with
the correct reward value.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

As always, thanks for shopping at Staples.

Sincerely,
Staples Rebate Team
Nobody knows 100% sure if buying 3x$200 and 2x$200 will give you $210, but it is confirmed that a $200 Visa = $30 rebate. Buying 3x$200 and 2x$200 best case scenario is $210, but worse case is $150. So it doesn't hurt to try.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sponge9
Are you able to load the Amazon gift cards available at Kroger to Amazon Payments? I was going to buy and try, but figured I'd ask you great people first.
That is a completely separate thing. Aka, no you cannot do that.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by tearex
That is a completely separate thing. Aka, no you cannot do that.
Thanks. I knew they were different, and figured it would be too good to be true. Wishful thinking
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Maybe you could pay your rent or mortgage with CC for spend to add to your 2500 for 4 month spend.
This is my current conundrum. I would only need to make one mortgage payment on CC to meet requirement for 1 of 3 cards applied for this quarter. I've been thinking about using Charge Smart but that $22 fee has me thinking twice.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
This is my current conundrum. I would only need to make one mortgage payment on CC to meet requirement for 1 of 3 cards applied for this quarter. I've been thinking about using Charge Smart but that $22 fee has me thinking twice.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ebit-card.html

And another thing: Is $22 not worth the amount of rewards you'd be getting?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
So long the minty ride
Once at a time, minty ride was the thing
One day, it bucked hard like you would ride on a bull
Fell down onto the brown dirt
Here came the vanilla tea
Vanilla tea healed my bruised fall
Until all of vanilla tea was swooshed into the thin air
Grasping for my breath
Crawling to the end of the light
Wondering if I will ever be oversaturated points-enlightened being at the end of light?
Minty, is that you? Vanilla, are you there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.