Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, UA Silver; 800K+ points 2012
Originally Posted by captaincool
Is it with a 0% fee as well? Could be useful to front some cash for some creative uses...
Ahh very good pointer. "The standard balance transfer fee is $5 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater." Ok forget that idea!!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:37 pm

So I talked to NS and supposedly it takes 20 business days for a refund check after he said it was 10 days first....although I have 6k coming back..Hope this helps as a datapoint for someone
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: Too many to list
I requested refund from vanilla card today. None of my "debit" transactions would go thru no matter where I tried. Was told 7 business days. Any experience with vanilla refunds?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by snugglening
So I talked to NS and supposedly it takes 20 business days for a refund check after he said it was 10 days first....although I have 6k coming back..Hope this helps as a datapoint for someone
lol...good luck! Mine took 35 days and complaints to 3 state agencies
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:37 pm

Mine was less than a week. Back in May.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:06 pm

delete

Last edited by DL172; Jan 29, 2018 at 3:14 pm Reason: private
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by DL172
Can anyone post or pm me advice about using an NS card. It seems like a pretty crappy card. Is it worth it to just max it up and then withdraw quickly from an atm, get the account shut down and wait for a check. How long does it take for the check to come? I looked at reviews online and it seems like they have terrible customer service etc...My card came today, so want to know best way to proceed.
If you have the cash to float the balance for a statement then get in, go big, wait for check.

Not worth it for anything else with the other options out there....
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Can anyone post or pm me advice about using an NS card. It seems like a pretty crappy card. Is it worth it to just max it up and then withdraw quickly from an atm, get the account shut down and wait for a check. How long does it take for the check to come? I looked at reviews online and it seems like they have terrible customer service etc...My card came today, so want to know best way to proceed.
It is a great source and if you don't blow it up with greed like I did on one very valuable. I continue to use one in a family members name and earn thousands of miles. Go Slow like with all these things.

Think for a minute if you are a bank mid level manager assigned to watch activity and screen it and you see purchases for hundreds of dollars say for example at a Walmart. Well ok you might buy a TV today and maybe just maybe you might need a computer in the same quarter. So Do YOU REALLY believe they are not smart enough to know that more than 2 large transactions for hundreds of dollars are a normal legit spend.

Same with NS, AMEX PP and all other things and even more so with Chase where only a fool would push the limit of spends past 30 or 40% more than their regular spend IMHO
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
If you have the cash to float the balance for a statement then get in, go big, wait for check.

Not worth it for anything else with the other options out there....
Agreed if you intend to blow it up anyway LOAD 50k on a few cards and wait for the checks it does work since by law they have to pay you back.

I got a complaint in to AG's office and 5 days later got my check with email
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:33 pm

Alright thanks for the responses! They want me to send in a utility bill, ss card, my license. Such a pain
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:00 am

Is it with a 0% fee as well? Could be useful to front some cash for some creative uses...
Hmmm, what would you guys do with this? I have the same issue, they will charge me $50 to use 5000 for a year. Maybe I'm just not that inventive...KIVA?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
if you can float it, go nuts and get shut down and wait for the check in a month or so.

If not, I suggest you release yourself from this headache now and cut the darn thing up and call in to cancel. Write down the name of whomever you spoke with or get a conf number to your cancellation. But hey that's just me. I burnt through it fast and ended up ok but I would not get this card again. In my opinion, if you used it hard and fast or slow and with mixed transactions, they will eventually shut you down if they sense you fit any patterns... and one such would be the loading of vanillas onto it. I think once they see that they assume anyone who does it is a crook. Strange too, as they allow them. (Pay pal in its checkered history has been known to accept certain products or load services but if people actually use them they get nasty letters from the company threatening to shut you down, so this is similarly crappy)

I think anyone here who had good results with NS, still has it up and running, or has gone beyond say $14,999k of load/offload is:

1) lucky as sh*t
2) using some other NS card product/service (if there is even one--I dunno)
3) is not telling us the whole story or wont or cant
4) is lying and is an antagonist
5) gonna get theirs shut down tomorrow anyway
6) may have done this long enough ago to have made it thru before we all got into this gig, which is now so public it's like coins
7) E - all of the above
8) I forget what 8 was for
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:16 am

8) I forget what 8 was for

+8
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
if you can float it, go nuts and get shut down and wait for the check in a month or so.
This is the method to use. The question is how much you can load before your credit card company, not NS, gets pissy.

Mike
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeef
This is the method to use. The question is how much you can load before your credit card company, not NS, gets pissy.

Mike
If you space your purchases over a period of time and accumulate before a load, your CC shouldn't really take notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.