Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:54 am

I want to get some opinions on this idea I have had in my mind for a while: to increase spend 10k+ without any fees, but cost some paperwork and time.

Enroll in an online university that allows one to pay tuition by credit card. Pay the tuition and then cancel classes. They eat the interchange rates and you get a check in the mail a few weeks later. I am in the process of narrowing down, which online university would be best. 'University' of Phoenix has a high admission fee, which I have no interest in paying.

This might take a few hours to complete all their paperwork, but a semesters worth of courses will really make a dent in a credit card.

Now if anyone has any ethical reservations, fine, but do not criticize me. These universities practically steal from taxpayers. They enroll students, who have no chance of ever holding a job that requires any advance skill. Then when the students default on their student loans, we taxpayers get to foot the bill. This is payback, while earning miles.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by DL172
I want to get some opinions on this idea I have had in my mind for a while: to increase spend 10k+ without any fees, but cost some paperwork and time.

Enroll in an online university that allows one to pay tuition by credit card. Pay the tuition and then cancel classes. They eat the interchange rates and you get a check in the mail a few weeks later. I am in the process of narrowing down, which online university would be best. 'University' of Phoenix has a high admission fee, which I have no interest in paying.

This might take a few hours to complete all their paperwork, but a semesters worth of courses will really make a dent in a credit card.

Now if anyone has any ethical reservations, fine, but do not criticize me. These universities practically steal from taxpayers. They enroll students, who have no chance of ever holding a job that requires any advance skill. Then when the students default on their student loans, we taxpayers get to foot the bill. This is payback, while earning miles.
My university charges 2+% to pay tuition by CC, and I'm pretty sure that's the norm rather than the exception. Though for-profits like Phoenix might be more inclined to try to weasel money out of people who don't have it to spend by letting you charge it to a CC without a fee.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
My university charges 2+% to pay tuition by CC, and I'm pretty sure that's the norm rather than the exception. Though for-profits like Phoenix might be more inclined to try to weasel money out of people who don't have it to spend by letting you charge it to a CC without a fee.
My university does the same, but allows one to pay via credit card at the treasurer's office= out-of-state tuition on amex. However, Phoniex has no credit card fees and neither do many of the others.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
My university does the same, but allows one to pay via credit card at the treasurer's office= out-of-state tuition on amex. However, Phoniex has no credit card fees and neither do many of the others.
Are you sure you get a check, as opposed to having the payment refunded to your credit card?

Mike
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Are you sure you get a check, as opposed to having the payment refunded to your credit card?

Mike
The "admissions representative" that I am in an online chat with from Devry right now says refunds can be handed out via check or direct deposit.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
The "admissions representative" that I am in an online chat with from Devry right now says refunds can be handed out via check or direct deposit.
I will be watching this very closely ^
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:40 pm

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with University of Phoenix to only have them get back to me. They accept credit cards, but the admissions counselor is unsure if they can send a check.

My personal admissions counselor will get back to me on refund question.

There is got to be an online university that mails a check or does direct deposit.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: Several dozen
If they charge a percentage fee and restore the dollars back to your card you might really get a schooling from Professor Fang who teaches Miles and Points Clawback 101. I hear it can be a tough course.

BTW, I wouldn't copy off the admissions representative's test - it just might be the wrong answer.

Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
If they charge a percentage fee and restore the dollars back to your card you might really get a schooling from Professor Fang who teaches Miles and Points Clawback 101. I hear it can be a tough course.
His bark is worse than his bite. To be honest no bite at all.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy

BTW, I wouldn't copy off the admissions representative's test - it just might be the wrong answer.
Oh I know, which is why I would only proceed if I found a 'university' that would give a refund via check or direct deposit. My undergraduate school did, even when paying by cc. I would never let them eat the fees though, so wouldn't do that to them. However, an online university
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Maybe, but even a toothless Chihuahua can be a killer if it has rabies and a bad attitude! There are many things in this world best avoided, like the killer leeches, crabs, fungi and peppermint documented by Mr. Snicket.

Originally Posted by QL_714
His bark is worse than his bite. To be honest no bite at all.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:31 pm

Univeristy of Phoenix may be in financial trouble. They're closing 115 locations. It may just be a cost cutting move, but do a little research before you pay your tuition and they go out of business.

http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...514/-1/local11
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Went to the store, but not my usual one, to buy beans and was told by the clerk I could only buy 1 per day with a CC. I said I'd like to buy more and he called the mgr over who said I could only buy 1 due to 'corporate wide policy'. I then asked just how long this 'corporate policy' had been in effect and he told me 'at least 2 months'. He then said I could come in every day, but only buy 1 per day on card, but as many as I wanted with cash.

So it would seem individual store Mgrs are making up corporate policy on the fly
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:19 pm

American Public University did not charge me an enrollment fee and they don't charge fees for using a credit card to pay. That said, classes that I have dropped were refunded to my credit card after a couple of weeks. I have never tried to get them to send a check though...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPdude
Univeristy of Phoenix may be in financial trouble. They're closing 115 locations. It may just be a cost cutting move, but do a little research before you pay your tuition and they go out of business.

http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...514/-1/local11
You make a good point. I am definitely going to do a hell of a lot of research before I put anything on my card. I posted here to see if I could work with others to find the right online universities to target. With that said, I think if Phoenix had any financial troubles and I canceled according to their policies, I would just reverse the charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.