Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:51 am

Ha ha, thanks for the funnies!

This week you can buy Lowe's $50 gift cards for $40 at Michael's - a 20% savings. They are selling out (or have sold out) quickly, so call first. Sometimes they get more in - I managed to buy some last night from a store that had sold out on Sunday but got additional stock on Tuesday. Helped chip away at my initial spend on two cards. I should be able to sell them above cost, although I may end up selling to friends and family at cost to get brownie points. I'm tempted to hold onto them for myself even though I don't foresee any big purchases at Lowe's in the near future. Thanks to The Frequent Miler for the lead on this deal.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
in some small towns you have that one mean cop. But in others you know him and his kids etc.

In the classic TV series, The Waltons, the sheriff was a family friend!
And in the even more classic TV series Bonanza, Sheriff Roy Coffee was a friend of the Cartwrights.

I consider myself to be like Grampa Walton. Vulpine and savvy, but still a bit bumbling sometimes. Nevertheless, an experienced man who knows the roads, them back woods, and many a trail off the beaten path. Places and situations where sheriffs and speed traps would never apply and iffin they did, I would somehow find a way out of it.
Since you mention "church" in the next paragraph...

Mark 12:15-17

While my Esther, the 'old woman' may not always think everything I do is 100% purely ethical, I do attend church regularly (is church a metaphor for a bank here or a flight or what lol) and I know most people in town.

My ex-wife attended/still attends church regularly. I could tell you stories about her that seem totally in opposition to this. Church attendance alone really is no indication of anything.

Romans 3:23
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by GoGreen

This week you can buy Lowe's $50 gift cards for $40 at Michael's - a 20% savings. They are selling out (or have sold out) quickly, so call first. Sometimes they get more in - I managed to buy some last night from a store that had sold out on Sunday but got additional stock on Tuesday. Helped chip away at my initial spend on two cards. I should be able to sell them above cost, although I may end up selling to friends and family at cost to get brownie points. I'm tempted to hold onto them for myself even though I don't foresee any big purchases at Lowe's in the near future. Thanks to The Frequent Miler for the lead on this deal.
I hammered these last night (picked up 40), but plastic jungle has been an issue. I could not get it to work; same with someone commenting in Miler's blog.

I sold to Cardpool, but had to mail in to avoid losing 5% in refund.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by GoGreen

This week you can buy Lowe's $50 gift cards for $40 at Michael's - a 20% savings. They are selling out (or have sold out) quickly, so call first.
Fwiw, it's also iTunes $50 for $40, and it goes through the 12th.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MojaveJack
Church attendance alone really is no indication of anything.

Romans 3:23
except to the people who go there. ever notice that?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emptiness
Any one know if you can send money on paypal using amex prepaid card?
You can certainly buy stuff using a registered Amex Prepaid card through Paypal. I have done it repeatedly.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
In a some what related topic. Can you meet the spend on a credit card and then transfer the balance to a 0% interest card? For instance, I spend 5000 on hotels in one month to make the spend on a new card, then transfer the balance to a lower interest card before the payment is due. I know that you shouldn't charge more than you can afford but I have a huge check coming in September and two trips planned for july. Is it allowed to charge the card to meet the spend and transfer the balance?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Yes this is possible as long as you BT to other company such as charging on Chase card and do a Amex BT to that balance. However, it gets little tricky if you are running on tight schedule. The BT process usually takes up to 2 weeks.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by phdtomd
In a some what related topic. Can you meet the spend on a credit card and then transfer the balance to a 0% interest card? For instance, I spend 5000 on hotels in one month to make the spend on a new card, then transfer the balance to a lower interest card before the payment is due. I know that you shouldn't charge more than you can afford but I have a huge check coming in September and two trips planned for july. Is it allowed to charge the card to meet the spend and transfer the balance?
Hmmm good plan if timing works

I don't see why it wouldn't!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by xp0
How about purchases like : $503.95 or $1511.85 or $2519.75 ?
Never let it end in a zero or a five, I say.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:58 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I hammered these last night (picked up 40), but plastic jungle has been an issue. I could not get it to work; same with someone commenting in Miler's blog.

I sold to Cardpool, but had to mail in to avoid losing 5% in refund.

Ya, the lesser payout for electronic giftcards really bums me out. Electronic seems less risky than mailing.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Several dozen
Executives at banks and other companies manufacture numbers for their financials all the time. Just keep your manufactured numbers looking more honest than those used to justify the Facebook IPO.

Originally Posted by xp0

How about purchases like : $503.95 or $1511.85 or $2519.75 ?

Originally Posted by abuelo

Never let it end in a zero or a five, I say.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:24 am

Have you sold the itunes gift cards at Plastic Jungle or Cardpool?

PJ says it will give up to 91.75% but most places are giving like 5%. I don't want to clean Michaels out of itunes cards if I can't dump them.

Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by phdtomd

Be careful because most of the 0% BT cards have a one-time fee for the transfer, sometimes 2.99%, but it could be anything, or nothing.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:17 pm
xp0

I guess no one got my numbers. Those are all multiples of $503.95. The cost of 1 Vanilla reload card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.