Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bluehazard
Can someone please PM me?

I have a Chase Ink card and I don't think I could spend all the money very quickly. I looked into AmEx Gift Cards but it seems like there is a fee associated with it.

Can you purchase AmEx gift cards on a credit card txn?
if you plan on using your amex giftcards at big retail chains. it is good but at mom and pop stores, small resturants and private stores and shops, they might not accept amex. I always buy VISA or MC giftcards at stores for 5.95 fee each and 500$ giftcards
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by Bluehazard
Can someone please PM me?

I have a Chase Ink card and I don't think I could spend all the money very quickly. I looked into AmEx Gift Cards but it seems like there is a fee associated with it.

Can you purchase AmEx gift cards on a credit card txn?

Remember that if you go through Bigcrumbs and join the 90 day free shipping promo, the rebate comes out to much more than the fees.

JudyJFLA
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Might wanna be a green grocer if you are gonna grow green using gold AMEX. Don't think being an airline will fly.

Hello,

Thanks for writing in. We can certainly work with you to change your Square account from an individual account to a business account. Merchants that accept credit cards are classified by the type of business they operate. This is called an MCC (merchant category code). In order for us to change your MCC for you, please provide the information below.

1. Business name:
2. Website:
3. Briefly describe the nature of your business:
4. List any professional accreditations:
5. List publications or industry guides referencing your business:

Once we have reviewed your information we can update your account to the appropriate MCC.

[name omitted]
Square Support​
help.squareup.com
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Might wanna be a green grocer if you are gonna grow green using gold AMEX. Don't think being an airline will fly.

Hello,

Thanks for writing in. We can certainly work with you to change your Square account from an individual account to a business account. Merchants that accept credit cards are classified by the type of business they operate. This is called an MCC (merchant category code). In order for us to change your MCC for you, please provide the information below.

1. Business name:
2. Website:

Once we have reviewed your information we can update your account to the appropriate MCC.

[name omitted]
Square Support​
help.squareup.com
Haha, WOW! I love the spirit, but whoever does this will have fraud written all over it. Be careful!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

Hello,

1. Business name:
2. Website:

[name omitted]
Square Support​
help.squareup.com
wont work. eventually they figure your biz does too many GCs even though their own rules state that the swiping of GCs is perfectly fine by them.

And Square works on some sort of time/amount algorithm. Once you reach it, and you will reach it, certain near-cookie cutter emails are sent out to you to reply to. Regardless of your answer, and in fact, in spite of it (possibly done only for them to collect internal data and demographics so as to learn patterns of people using the service) they will eventually shut you down. I'm not the only one who can summarize this.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: Several dozen
As MM notes, one would have to be exceptionally crafty to make a decent return in payment processing. You would have to be running dozens of different cards (and different kinds of cards) representing dozens of imaginary friends to manufacture a credible sales pattern. To pass as a legit biz, you would have to actually be a biz and work very hard manufacturing a cover identity. But, in the end, the cardinals will most likely BBQ you before you rake in 100k.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
wont work. eventually they figure your biz does too many GCs even though their own rules state that the swiping of GCs is perfectly fine by them.

And Square works on some sort of time/amount algorithm. Once you reach it, and you will reach it, certain near-cookie cutter emails are sent out to you to reply to. Regardless of your answer, and in fact, in spite of it (possibly done only for them to collect internal data and demographics so as to learn patterns of people using the service) they will eventually shut you down. I'm not the only one who can summarize this.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As MM notes, one would have to be exceptionally crafty to make a decent return in payment processing. You would have to be running dozens of different cards (and different kinds of cards) representing dozens of imaginary friends to manufacture a credible sales pattern. To pass as a legit biz, you would have to actually be a biz and work very hard manufacturing a cover identity. But, in the end, the cardinals will most likely BBQ you before you rake in 100k.
yup, you speak it true my friend. And I know of souls who have gotten to about 80k but they already got email # 3 and so they know it's done haha

In the end, it takes effort and, as they say, pressure and time.

RED: Andy loved geology. I imagine it appealed to his meticulous nature. An ice age here, a million years of mountain-building there, plates of bedrock grinding against each other over a span of millennia... Geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure and time.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Just got back from a pretty-not-small-named grocer related to Stop-n-Slop for a GC run. It appears gift card purchases do not count towards gas points based on today's experience as reflected in the receipt, convo w/ the cashier, & also per the T's & C's:

"Only purchases made with your Giant card are eligible. Net purchase excludes alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, pharmacy items, gift cards, milk, Metro passes and any other purchase prohibited by law."

YMMV but I'll update this if they post. I haven't see any mention of this yet on the prior 94 pages of this thread. ^
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
Just got back from a pretty-not-small-named grocer related to Stop-n-Slop for a GC run. It appears gift card purchases do not count towards gas points based on today's experience as reflected in the receipt, convo w/ the cashier, & also per the T's & C's:

"Only purchases made with your Giant card are eligible. Net purchase excludes alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, pharmacy items, gift cards, milk, Metro passes and any other purchase prohibited by law."

YMMV but I'll update this if they post. I haven't see any mention of this yet on the prior 94 pages of this thread. ^
thanks for the info.

I will say that while I too have not seen any rewards from buying GCs at S&S itself, there have been reports from people in my state who say some S&S stores WILL have offers - sometimes 2x promos--for the purchase of GCs. i suppose it pays to ask more than one clerk and to just keep looking.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Originally Posted by edrags
Captaincool,

You can always open a Chase checking account outside Minnesota in person. That's what I did in CT to get around the fact that there are no branches in MA.
I opened on in person in WI, and then was able to open another for my sister by phone. YMMV.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by NWA_5479
I opened on in person in WI, and then was able to open another for my sister by phone. YMMV.
Thanks for the replies. I am going down to Florida for a long weekend and might try to open one up quick while I'm down there. Otherwise I'll have to hop on over to WI
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:29 am

Buy used GSA (US Govt.) vehicle at surplus auction, place on AMEX fee-free, sell vehicle for what you paid (or more)...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by johndoe123
Buy used GSA (US Govt.) vehicle at surplus auction, place on AMEX fee-free, sell vehicle for what you paid (or more)...
Buy 80 million lottery tickets, place on Amex fee-free, win lottery... pay off card.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Buy 80 million lottery tickets, place on Amex fee-free, win lottery... pay off card.
You buy them and let us know if you win.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
thanks for the info.

I will say that while I too have not seen any rewards from buying GCs at S&S itself, there have been reports from people in my state who say some S&S stores WILL have offers - sometimes 2x promos--for the purchase of GCs. i suppose it pays to ask more than one clerk and to just keep looking.
Stop and Robs, or Quick Shops do offer 2X on GCs.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.