Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAdbaCO-Silver, DL-Kryptonium Med, AA-Silver
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Hi All,

I am looking for some options to get my spend up to 10K in 2 weeks

I just put $550 to max out my AP for the month, then I can do another 1K next month.

Matt
you only have 1 AP account?
Old May 29, 2012, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAdbaCO-Silver, DL-Kryptonium Med, AA-Silver
Hi All,

I checked out the local Office Depot for the re-loadable Amex but they were sold out... so for Gift Card options I have 5K from Amex website with a rebate of 1.4%. ( I saw a 5K per transaction limit, so maybe I could run the whole 8.5K through here).

Any help appreciated.

Matt
You can get the AMEX prepayed card here And NO I don't get anything for this link.

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...id=23043039110

Get it with no load and free shipping, Go back of Office Depot and buy $7500 worth of Vanilla Network load cards. Purchase with your Ink Gold for 42.5k UR points Now you can take all the time you need to spend the $7500
Old May 30, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by YouDontKnowMe
You can get the AMEX prepayed card here And NO I don't get anything for this link.

Get it with no load and free shipping, Go back of Office Depot and buy $7500 worth of Vanilla Network load cards. Purchase with your Ink Gold for 42.5k UR points Now you can take all the time you need to spend the $7500
Thanks, I tried that but the OD in Manhattan was sold out of both the main card and refills... It would be a good solution.

I'm looking to see if I can prepay quarterly taxes as a last ditch effort- but that comes with a fee I'd rather avoid.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Just based upon your subject line, this is an easy problem to solve. Just issue my wife an additional card and it will be done

Otherwise, since it is an Ink Bold, have you considered for 5X points
1) Prepay cable tv/Internet bill
2) Prepay cell phone bill
3) Office supply gift cards - as you noted not so easy to liquidate

Stacking Topcashback, etc aside, have you considered grocery store GC purchases to double dip with fuel rewards? Kroger's running a 4X GC and they do sell lots of restaurant and/or retail stores (e.g. Target) items.

There really aren't a lot of options besides the ATM cash out of the reloadable Office Depot Amex card. At that sort of volume though, you may run into problems with Chase, or Amex, or both.... This is why prepaying daily expenses or using for other purposes instead of trying to go for cash equivalents may be wiser.

Hate to say it, but a fully refundable first class ticket would do the trick too...
Thanks - I put 1k onto wireless. Chipping away at this!
Old May 30, 2012, 8:46 am

It's the part about getting the money back in time to pay your credit card bill that is so difficult. If you have more time, use kivalens.org to loan a bunch of money through kiva.org. You'll likely get 100% back, but it will take many months. If you're really stuck, you can use PayDivvy.com. They'll take a 3.5% cut, but it might be worth it to avoid losing the 50K bonus. I did a PayDivvy test run with a $200 Visa card I had bought at an office supply store and it worked fine.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: JB AA UA HHgold ICplat MRplat UR
Originally Posted by YouDontKnowMe

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere in this thread but you might wanna do some research. I've read that direct purchases of gc on amex might be considered as cash advances by some banks.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:20 am

btw has anyone done anything recently with greendot?
Old May 30, 2012, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
It's the part about getting the money back in time to pay your credit card bill that is so difficult. If you have more time, use kivalens.org to loan a bunch of money through kiva.org. You'll likely get 100% back, but it will take many months. If you're really stuck, you can use PayDivvy.com. They'll take a 3.5% cut, but it might be worth it to avoid losing the 50K bonus. I did a PayDivvy test run with a $200 Visa card I had bought at an office supply store and it worked fine.
Thanks Frequent Miler - love your blog, was the inspiration behind me getting the Bold.

I have about 1700 a month coming back in from Kiva right now, so that is certainly an option. I buy the big 3K giftcard, register and load up the lot (much easier than lots of small ones) there is the small kickback from BC, but not the bonus points I would love.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
I would vouch that PayDivvy works well to pay mortgage on Amex. I did that twice to get my 10K spend done on my Amex Gold to get 75K points. Would not recommend except for getting spending up.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:05 pm
wcj

Green dot was a no go for me

Originally Posted by FreeBird2k
btw has anyone done anything recently with greendot?

I tried at krogers and at speedway on separate days. CC declined by computers with employees having no override authority. In fact, it just tied up the register at speedway. I'm thinking the answer may end up being my new suntrust debit card, but I need to read A LOT more about ACH, PIN transactions,etc. Now, I am the proud owner of one of these cards and need to read how to get my money back out via pay pal. Another billable hour wasted
Old May 31, 2012, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by wcj
I tried at krogers and at speedway on separate days. CC declined by computers with employees having no override authority. In fact, it just tied up the register at speedway. I'm thinking the answer may end up being my new suntrust debit card, but I need to read A LOT more about ACH, PIN transactions,etc. Now, I am the proud owner of one of these cards and need to read how to get my money back out via pay pal. Another billable hour wasted
You cannot do this at any chains. Also, recently I cashed a few greendot refills through paypal and got an email from them that I wasn't using the service as intended yadda yadda and that I better stop or else they'll freeze my account.

Apparently even if you were able to buy this with a cc it can't be scaled well.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: Several dozen
True based on the experience of a protege.

Apparently even if you were able to buy this with a cc it can't be scaled well.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:56 am

Hi All,

I am looking for some options to get my spend up to 10K in 2 weeks... I applied for the Ink Bold and they froze my account for 10 weeks and made all sorts of insane errors (such as adding a complete stranger as the primary).

I have asked them for an extension to meet the minimum spend, but in the event that they refuse this I need to meet the spend of 10K by mid June.

I just put $550 to max out my AP for the month, then I can do another 1K next month.

I have no big expenses coming up, having just paid for international travel, large purchases etc.. so I am ideally looking for ideas to get through the remaining 8.5K.

I checked out the local Office Depot for the re-loadable Amex but they were sold out... so for Gift Card options I have 5K from Amex website with a rebate of 1.4%. ( I saw a 5K per transaction limit, so maybe I could run the whole 8.5K through here).

I'm looking for any ideas on meeting spend, that will achieve the following (in order):

1. Provide Liquidity to turn the purchase back to cash to pay the CC
2. Provide the best earnings potential per $ for the transaction -EG 5x and 5x points at Staples through UR with a $3.95 per $100 Visa card - not a bad rate, but I would be stuck with 85 x $100 cards that would be a pain to cash out (unless someone has an option here?)

I could pay the balance but wouldn't want to hold the transaction any more than 6 months before getting the cash back to my bank account, and I am wondering if GC churning might be the solution...

Any help appreciated.

Matt
Buy REFUNDABLE flight tickets for Far out dates (Jan 2013 e.g.).

After your Ultimate rewards points post, CANCEL the ticket and have it credited back!
Old May 31, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by zoonil
Buy REFUNDABLE flight tickets for Far out dates (Jan 2013 e.g.).

After your Ultimate rewards points post, CANCEL the ticket and have it credited back!
I'd like some input from anyone that attempted this. When the purchase was credited, were there any adverse repercussions?
Old May 31, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: A few
I'd like some input from anyone that attempted this. When the purchase was credited, were there any adverse repercussions?
I did this to meet spend on an Amex card once. It created a credit balance that stayed there a couple of months and eventually they sent me a check to zero it out. However I would not recommend pushing that as it's likely they'd catch up to you. And I did get the appropriate amount of points deducted (not the bonus, but the spend that was refunded).

I would use the advice posted elsewhere that do it in such a way that when you refund the tickets it is offset by other spend so it really just buys you more time to make the spend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.