FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting spending up without the Mint
View Single Post
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:00 pm
gloreglabert

Originally Posted by DL172
I want to get some opinions on this idea I have had in my mind for a while: to increase spend 10k+ without any fees, but cost some paperwork and time.

Enroll in an online university that allows one to pay tuition by credit card. Pay the tuition and then cancel classes. They eat the interchange rates and you get a check in the mail a few weeks later. I am in the process of narrowing down, which online university would be best. 'University' of Phoenix has a high admission fee, which I have no interest in paying.

This might take a few hours to complete all their paperwork, but a semesters worth of courses will really make a dent in a credit card.

Now if anyone has any ethical reservations, fine, but do not criticize me. These universities practically steal from taxpayers. They enroll students, who have no chance of ever holding a job that requires any advance skill. Then when the students default on their student loans, we taxpayers get to foot the bill. This is payback, while earning miles.
My university charges 2+% to pay tuition by CC, and I'm pretty sure that's the norm rather than the exception. Though for-profits like Phoenix might be more inclined to try to weasel money out of people who don't have it to spend by letting you charge it to a CC without a fee.