Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Tissues would be painless but if I was a Blogger especially one dumb enough to post pictures and use real names I would be well protected and staying in secure areas for quite some time. Just think as you watch an episode of Sons of Anarchy or any mob or gang show or even the news which almost daily has a psycho go off somewhere. Do you really think there isn't several people maybe with a terminal disease, or just crazy, or on drugs like Meth, or any combination who may have been planning a trip for a fantasy or some lost love interest and now they feel cheated and robbed. Oh well maybe that is just part of the risk of blogging. If even David Letterman can have a stalker a selfish blogger sure can have worse. Sure hope I am wrong but I wouldn't want to be one at least not one people think of first
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by emax48
Meaning you used multiple addresses? Any trick in doing that?
Home/work/family and some friends. Figure I'm not losing $$ on the transaction, and if I do lose some GCs, it was a cheap way to know who the real friends are
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:23 am

Lending Club, a peer to peer lending site, allows initial accounts to be funded up to $5000 using a CC via Paypal. I used an AMEX business gold to fund an account and my MR 75K bonus appeared yesterday (the LC funding pushed me over the 10K initial spend requirement).

I actually put 60% of that money to work earning 20% a year (there is clearly risk in doing that). Of course, do your own research folks, but there's no reason you can't let that money just sit in the account temporarily, and then pull it out -- although the fine print may indicate otherwise (my intention all along was to chase yield on some idle cash while hitting some lofty spends, so I never closely looked into the possibility of just pulling the money out quickly).

Sorry if this is old news but just relaying my own experience.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by captaincool
i agree, that is ridiculous
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by smedleyb
Lending Club, a peer to peer lending site, allows initial accounts to be funded up to $5000 using a CC via Paypal. I used an AMEX business gold to fund an account and my MR 75K bonus appeared yesterday (the LC funding pushed me over the 10K initial spend requirement).

I actually put 60% of that money to work earning 20% a year (there is clearly risk in doing that). Of course, do your own research folks, but there's no reason you can't let that money just sit in the account temporarily, and then pull it out -- although the fine print may indicate otherwise (my intention all along was to chase yield on some idle cash while hitting some lofty spends, so I never closely looked into the possibility of just pulling the money out quickly).

Sorry if this is old news but just relaying my own experience.

When did you do this? What is expected yield? Amex gold, are you paying eom or extending payments?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:37 am

How long does the staples GC rebate deal last? Can't apply for the ink plus until next week
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by sam_goh
There's a lot of uncertainty atm because their rebate site sucks. Last time, it only worked on MC GCs, so was easy, bought 10 $100s and got $100 staples gift card back. Limit was 10 per household. Took about one month to receive gift cards.

This time, the visas work and are avail in $200 denominations. So it's unclear if it's 10 X $200 or 5 X $200 because the ad states "$15 Staples GC per $100 limit 10". This seems to imply a $1000 top limit again but who knows. People have bought over $1000 worth and the rebates submit, BUT we don't know if they'll validate.

On top of that, their site is valuing the GCs wrong. As noted above, 3 X $200 gives you $135 when it should be $90. Your best combo, assuming $1k limit, is 3 X $200 for $135 gift card and 2 X $200 for $75 gift card. Best case, you rake in $210 or worse case, they fix the rebate system, you stay beneath the cap and still get the promised rebates of $150.

So.... the math. For $1,000 spend: $200 + $6.95 activation fee X 5 = $1034.75 OOP. Chase Ink Bold gives you 5174 UR points or $51.73 back. MM of ~$17 AND you get minimum of $150 in Staples gift cards back, more if their rebate system doesn't get fixed.

Just need multiple addresses, I'm up to my 10th set now. Will drain using a combo of AP and Serve. It's raining free tablets at Staples

Oh and for MMS <--------------------------------------
based on experience, can someone answer if it is ok to use the same name while using a different address to qualify for another round of this rebate?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by brewernq
How long does the staples GC rebate deal last? Can't apply for the ink plus until next week
Good through 11/24.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: Several dozen
Dunno - have heard of crazier things lately in the press like a CIA chief having an affair and a senior citizen author of antivirus software having a 17 year old girlfriend, a bath salt lab, and being on the lamb for murder.

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
i agree, that is ridiculous
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:54 am

I used different names for different addresses. However, I wanna do more! I wonder if I can just use variations of my name and address (Room #202b, Suite 23C, etc.). Anyone have any ideas on whether this will work?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
I used different names for different addresses. However, I wanna do more! I wonder if I can just use variations of my name and address (Room #202b, Suite 23C, etc.). Anyone have any ideas on whether this will work?
Promotion Details:
Limit 10 Staples Gift Cards per name/address/household. For questions or a status inquiry about this rebate offer call 1-877-266-6483. Fraudulent submission of multiple requests could result in federal prosecution under the U.S. Mail Fraud Statutes (18 USC, Section 1341 & 1342).
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:32 am

I liquidated my staples GCs via beans from C V S. The register seemed to freeze after 6 cards, so the clerk was nice enough to split them into two transactions. Worth the 3.95x2 since I don't have serve or AP. Net profit in the $80 range + finished off min spend from my August cycle.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
I liquidated my staples GCs via beans from C V S. The register seemed to freeze after 6 cards, so the clerk was nice enough to split them into two transactions. Worth the 3.95x2 since I don't have serve or AP. Net profit in the $80 range + finished off min spend from my August cycle.
My local CVS has a notice that credit/debit cards may not be used when purchasing pre-paid and GCs..just an FYI.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Dunno - have heard of crazier things lately in the press like a CIA chief having an affair and a senior citizen author of antivirus software having a 17 year old girlfriend, a bath salt lab, and being on the lamb for murder.
not to mention when the police went to his house in belize apparently he was trying to hide by burying himself in the ground with his face above ground covered in a cardboard box. at least we know there are far whackier people than all of us :O
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
My Staples was on top of their stuff last night. They said they get about one person a week coming in to buy bulk gift cards. We chatted about some of the crazier things they've seen, like people coming in with fake IDs and skimmed cards trying to buy GCs. I grabbed 5 x $200. Rebates worked perfectly online, but it seems they fixed the glitch - only $150.

Tried to unload via AP, but for some reason, it won't let me claim the payments. Email verified and everything. I get the "try again later or contact customer service" message. Any thoughts? I'm not keen on contacting customer service.

On the other hand, it says that if payments remain unclaimed for 30 days, they get refunded. I've already removed the GCs from the original AP account. Maybe they'd just refund to the AP balance? Then I could withdraw them directly. It may be a way around the inability to load AP from GCs if you can float the balance for 30 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.