Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk! Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with the earlier MH370 thread, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

FT MH 017 / Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Forum Moderation Team:
ABroadAbroad
cblaisd
JDiver
NewbieRunner

for the MH 17 Moderation Team

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

N. B. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IN POST NO. 1.

OTHER FORA OF INTEREST:

This thread is about the loss of MH 17. In depth discussion of unrelated topics — geopolitics, passport theft, aviation security, airport security procedures, etc. — belongs in other fora. A few include:

OMNI/PR: Discussion of perspectives on politics and religion, including geopolitics and terrorism (requires 180 days on FT and 180 constructive posts prior to admission)

If you wish to discuss the politics and political implications related to this issue (or others), please do so in OMNI/PR; the MH 777 Crashes In Ukraine - Official In Kiev Claims Airliner Shot Down By Separatists thread is the place.

Travel Safety/Security: Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (including routing passenger aircraft over conflict areas).

Travel Safety/Security: Practical Travel Safety Issues for those discussing travel safety and security issues because they are planning a trip soon (including passport and nationality issues).

TravelBuzz: TravelBuzz for those wishing to discuss the relative safety of a specific aircraft - e.g. Boeing 777.

Further posts regarding any of these issues are liable to summary deletion.
We have a number of Destination fora to discuss various aspects of destination travel (including airports, airport connections, etc.) and Airline, Hotel, etc. fora. You can see them displayed in the Forum Home, here.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Given the MH 17 tragedy, I am surprised to see that KL 1387 (Amsterdam-Kiev) departed just 2 hours ago and is now in Ukrainian airspace. No other major airline has any planes in Ukrainian airspace currently...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by alanR
How many of the next of kin won't know already
They may not have heard yet for a variety of reasons....I think it is important that next of kin be notified officially. Some people do hope against hope.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg
I just can't picture the rebels with the kind of training to down a commercial airliner flying at 33,000 feet. What scares me more is that the Russian military was responsible, which means SB Putin was involved or at least have them the authorization to do so. Russia is not a thrid-world banana republic, so it's hard to imagine that SB Putin not having total control of the military.
Its reported that many of the rebels have a background in the Russian military or similar.

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Sometimes with regards to an Asian group traveling, one person, typically the tour guide, carries all the passports. Do people really put their passports in the seat pocket? In all my years of traveling I have never seen this, but then again, I don't pay attention to what others do. I left something in a menu on an SQ flight and never ever again. Everything is glued to my body.
I typically keep mine in a pants pocket, because I sure don't want to forget it in the seat pocket either.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Sometimes with regards to an Asian group traveling, one person, typically the tour guide, carries all the passports. Do people really put their passports in the seat pocket? In all my years of traveling I have never seen this, but then again, I don't pay attention to what others do. I left something in a menu on an SQ flight and never ever again. Everything is glued to my body.

What happened is disgusting. Those of us who fly to Europe to Middle East/SE Asia often know our flights pass over this region. It could have been any flight.
I've seen quite a few people stick their passport, wallet and even cash in the back of a seat pocket. Personally, I think it's rather dumb to do that. I never stick anything in there.

It's possible 1 person had all the passports, but doesn't each passenger need to hold and show their passport when boarding an international flight @ AMS?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
As Dutch born, I'm really shocked by this news. I wish all those people who are left without their loved ones all the best.

As a kind of joke and reference to MH370, one of the passengers posted a photograph of the aircraft minutes before takeoff with the text:

'in case it goes missing, this is what it looks like'

pic.twitter.com/5if5AohMxJ

Somehow those words feel so awkward now...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Given the MH 17 tragedy, I am surprised to see that KL 1387 (Amsterdam-Kiev) departed just 2 hours ago and is now in Ukrainian airspace. No other major airline has any planes in Ukrainian airspace currently...
Presume not many airlines have flights arriving in Kiev at this time of night - BA's only flight that will use Ukraine airspace is their Kiev flight (it's pretty far away from rebel territory)

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by siankaan1
Possibly captured from the eastern Ukrainian air base they overran a week or two ago, IIRC.

Looks like some over eager moron thought he was shooting down a troop transport, got a passenger plane instead. Ooops, not so good for the cause.
I know it's pure speculation, but let's face it, that is probably the most likely cause here. No way would a real armed force (either Russia or Ukraine) do something so amateur hour. This is clearly the case of some bumpkin getting control equipment he was totally unqualified to operate, just firing blindly.

Not shocking given that the average Russian mercenary trying to stir up trouble in east Ukraine is unlikely to be Mensa material.

Either way, a total tragedy no matter how you slice it. Sympathies to the families of the deceased.

Originally Posted by JBord
Its reported that many of the rebels have a background in the Russian military or similar.

so they stole a few SAM trucks? Or did SB Putin gave tacit approve to "lend" them a few?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Look at a map. Kiev is far away from the rebel-held area, and completely safe to fly to.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fizzer
BBC reporting that Seperatist leaders are offering a ceasefire to facilitate investigation. Wonder if that includes letting an independant body have the Flight Recorders?
One separatist leader. The problem is that there are a handful of "self-appointed" mayors and governors, and at least two groups who have declared republics.

Ultimately the man who holds this power is Igor Strelkov (Girkin) because he is the one who gives orders to (most) of the men with guns. As he is "retired" GRU from Moscow, he is either having an adventure leading men into battle on his retirement holiday or else he reports up a chain of command in Moscow. But they were the front line in Slavansk and then decamped a couple of weeks ago for Donetsk. Which the self-declared leaders in Donetsk did not like very much but he did it and that was that so he seems to be the guy calling the big shots.

So it's either his decision or his superiors. Whatever the "self-declared" mayors of the people's republic of so-and-so say won't matter. What's more, one of them can come out and say this, and the others can resist it and you have the standard double game being played. They can point to the media and say well we accepted investigators, and on the ground the investigators can't get in because that guy who accepted is not the gatekeeper. When they complain about the situation, the media will report just as you type here that "the leaders" accepted the inspection.

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
so they stole a few SAM trucks?
The separatists earlier claimed that they seized at least one SAM complex from a Ukrainian military base

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
It looks like they're over Lithuania/Lativa, which is Baltic airspace.

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Most of Ukrainian airspace is perfectly safe, there are only few problematic areas - as long as they avoid those, it's ok to fly above Ukraine.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:09 pm

I just can't picture the rebels with the kind of training to down a commercial airliner flying at 33,000 feet.
Their leader is a "retired" GRU colonel - make of that what you will
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
so they stole a few SAM trucks? Or did SB Putin gave tacit approve to "lend" them a few?
No idea, all I could do is speculate. I was responding to the statement that they wouldn't have the training. But its possible they have been trained in the past by the Russian military. Its also possible they were trained yesterday by the Russian military. The point is, I think more signs point to this of being an act of the rebels (and likely not their intention) rather than directly by one of the 2 nations involved in the conflict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.