Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk! Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with the earlier MH370 thread, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

FT MH 017 / Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Forum Moderation Team:
ABroadAbroad
cblaisd
JDiver
NewbieRunner

for the MH 17 Moderation Team

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

N. B. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IN POST NO. 1.

OTHER FORA OF INTEREST:

This thread is about the loss of MH 17. In depth discussion of unrelated topics — geopolitics, passport theft, aviation security, airport security procedures, etc. — belongs in other fora. A few include:

OMNI/PR: Discussion of perspectives on politics and religion, including geopolitics and terrorism (requires 180 days on FT and 180 constructive posts prior to admission)

If you wish to discuss the politics and political implications related to this issue (or others), please do so in OMNI/PR; the MH 777 Crashes In Ukraine - Official In Kiev Claims Airliner Shot Down By Separatists thread is the place.

Travel Safety/Security: Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (including routing passenger aircraft over conflict areas).

Travel Safety/Security: Practical Travel Safety Issues for those discussing travel safety and security issues because they are planning a trip soon (including passport and nationality issues).

TravelBuzz: TravelBuzz for those wishing to discuss the relative safety of a specific aircraft - e.g. Boeing 777.

Further posts regarding any of these issues are liable to summary deletion.
We have a number of Destination fora to discuss various aspects of destination travel (including airports, airport connections, etc.) and Airline, Hotel, etc. fora. You can see them displayed in the Forum Home, here.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by StudentPilot
Could I ask how wide a commercial air corridor is? Crash site was: "30km from Tamak waypoint, approximately 50km from the Russia-Ukraine border."
Width of a commercial air corridor: FAA/US standard is four nautical miles to both left and right of the aircraft, for a total width of 8 nm.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
US pilots were warned not to fly over certain areas of Ukraine, wonder if MH pilots received (and heeded) similar warnings?
This NOTAM was issued yesterday, 16 July, and took effect 10 hours before MH17 departed AMS. I posted it in this thread a few hours ago, but lots of new readers are raising the same questions without reading 500+ posts, which is understandable. Here it is again.

This is not the FAA notice to US carriers issued last April. It is a new notice issued this week by Russian aviation authorities in Rostov.

V6158/14 - DUE TO COMBAT ACTIONS ON THE TERRITORY OF THE UKRAINE NEAR THE STATE BORDER WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION AND THE FACTS OF FIRING FROM THE TERRITORY OF THE UKRAINE TOWARDS THE TERRITORY OF RUSSIAN FEDERATION, TO ENSURE INTL FLT SAFETY, ATS RTE SEGMENTS CLSD AS FLW:

A100 MIMRA - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND) ,
B145 KANON - ASMIL,
G247 MIMRA - BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA),
A87 TAMAK - SARNA,
A102 PENEG - NALEM,
A225 GUKOL - ODETA,
A712 TAMAK - SAMBEK NDB (SB),
B493 FASAD - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND),
B947 TAMAK - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND),
G118 LATRI - BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA),
G534 MIMRA - TOROS,
G904 FASAD - SUTAG,
R114 BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA)-NALEM.
SFC - FL320.
DEP FM/ARR TO ROSTOV-NA-DONU AD TO/FM MOSCOW FIR CARRIED OUT ALONG
ATS RTE G128 KONSTANTINOVSK NDB (KA) - MOROZOVSK VOR/DME (MOR) AND
R11 MOROZOVSK VOR/DME (MOR) - BUTRI ON ASSIGNED FL.
DEP FM ROSTOV-NA-DONU AD TO DNEPROPETROVSK FIR CARRIED OUT ALONG
ATS RTE A102 KONSTANTINOVSK NDB (KA) - NALEM ON FL340 AND ABOVE.
ARR TO ROSTOV-NA-DONU AD FM DNEPROPETROVSK FIR CARRIED OUT ALONG
ATS RTE A712 TAMAK - SAMBEK NDB (SB) THEN DCT KONSTANTINOVSK NDB
(KA) ON FL330 AND ABOVE. SFC - FL530, 17 JUL 00:00 2014 UNTIL 31 AUG 23:59 2014
ESTIMATED. CREATED: 16 JUL 17:08 2014

MH17 was operating Tamak - Sarna (bolded above) and was shot down a few kilometers from Tamak, on the Ukraine-Russia border. The notation above that says SFC - FL320 indicates the closure goes from ground surface to "flight level 320," e.g. 32,000 feet.

Originally Posted by JDiver
The NOTAMS available are posted in this thread; they do not extend to FL 330.
The 777 was operating at 33,000 feet, according to FlightRadar24. That is not much of a margin. If the MH crew saw the NOTAM, they made a judgment to fly as little as 1,000 feet above the designated trouble zone. Not much of a safety margin if you ask me.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Well, those notifications are completely irrelevant to this incident.
I think the NOTAM above is rather relevant.

Originally Posted by UltraRant
As a kind of joke and reference to MH370, one of the passengers posted a photograph of the aircraft minutes before takeoff with the text:

'in case it goes missing, this is what it looks like'

pic.twitter.com/5if5AohMxJ

Somehow those words feel so awkward now...
This Twitter photo of an MH777, purported to be the aircraft lost today, is spurious. Have a look at the nose gear door. The letters shown are "RC", indicating the plane's registration is 9M-MRC. The aircraft shot down was 9M-MRD. Wrong plane. (MH370 was 9M-MRO.)
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
So the US Vice President is saying the US tracked a foreign missile hitting the airliner. I hope the US finds who did this and takes the strongest action possible!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Wolf
Unconfirmed video footage of the plane being shot down.
Anybody speaks Russian/Ukraïnian here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWDGIRqmKsg
That looks like it was on a different day. There were far more clouds in the sky in all of the other videos.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JBord
No idea, all I could do is speculate. I was responding to the statement that they wouldn't have the training. But its possible they have been trained in the past by the Russian military. Its also possible they were trained yesterday by the Russian military. The point is, I think more signs point to this of being an act of the rebels (and likely not their intention) rather than directly by one of the 2 nations involved in the conflict.
There is no doubt at all that there are Russian soldiers on the ground.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...russia-fighter

There are images of the soldiers killed during the assault at the Donestk airport, and some have been matched up with their social media pages (Vkontakte) afterwards. This one was Russian Special Forces.

(note: graphic and disturbing photos of one such dead solder in the next link)

http://inforesist.org/en/a-russian-s...etsk-photo-18/

This page contained this link to his VKontake page which had pictures of him and his girlfriend and his life in Russia. I read the report above the day it was made and followed this link:

https://vk.com/id143829513

Which is now deleted.

Igor Strelkin who is the leader (which means "Shooter", his real name is Girkin) is from Moscow as well and was present in Crimea and has a background in Russian military intelligence.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/r-...rebels-2014-15

You have a mix of experienced and trained fighters, local militiamen, and then foreign mercenaries or patriots from various ex-soviet republics. This is a typical patriot type who's come to fight and then got the heck out:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...aine-interview

So you have this combination present from these reports: Russian military intelligence leadership, presence of Russian special forces, rag-tag politically motivated believers recruited from far and wide and sent in. Aside from these there are of course reports of paid mercenaries from inside Ukraine and Russia, then no doubt at all there are local people with Russian descent who believe in their cause.

Remember it was only about 20 years ago that Ukraine became independent. This means that men in their 40s-50s have military experience in the USSR.

And they had to serve some number of years in the military. So it's not a situation where some people may have had some training, it's that all men in a certain age range have some kind of military training of some sort. And many are veterans of real conflicts, like Strelkin.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Uh, that doesn't sound right at all. At one point, the plane in the video makes a full complete loop. First, I don't think a 777 can even do that. Second, it could have been a Su-27 performing evasive manoeuvers from a missile. Third, the description of the video leaves ... a LOT to be desired as far as objectivity goes.

Absolutely...the grain of salt I'm taking this with is moon-sized, hence the bold unconfirmed in front. To be frank, I can't see anything but a missile and a flash.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Given the MH 17 tragedy, I am surprised to see that KL 1387 (Amsterdam-Kiev) departed just 2 hours ago and is now in Ukrainian airspace. No other major airline has any planes in Ukrainian airspace currently...
Maybe I'm a bit dense today. How is a plane going to land in Kiev, Ukraine without flying into Ukrainian airspace?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tyberius
There is no doubt at all that there are Russian soldiers on the ground.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...russia-fighter

There are images of the soldiers killed during the assault at the Donestk airport, and some have been matched up with their social media pages (Vkontakte) afterwards. This one was Russian Special Forces.

(note: graphic and disturbing photos of one such dead solder in the next link)

http://inforesist.org/en/a-russian-s...etsk-photo-18/

This page contained this link to his VKontake page which had pictures of him and his girlfriend and his life in Russia. I read the report above the day it was made and followed this link:

https://vk.com/id143829513

Which is now deleted.

Igor Strelkin who is the leader (which means "Shooter", his real name is Girkin) is from Moscow as well and was present in Crimea and has a background in Russian military intelligence.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/r-...rebels-2014-15

You have a mix of experienced and trained fighters, local militiamen, and then foreign mercenaries or patriots from various ex-soviet republics. This is a typical patriot type who's come to fight and then got the heck out:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...aine-interview

So you have this combination present from these reports: Russian military intelligence leadership, presence of Russian special forces, rag-tag politically motivated believers recruited from far and wide and sent in. Aside from these there are of course reports of paid mercenaries from inside Ukraine and Russia, then no doubt at all there are local people with Russian descent who believe in their cause.

Remember it was only about 20 years ago that Ukraine became independent. This means that men in their 40s-50s have military experience in the USSR.

And they had to serve some number of years in the military. So it's not a situation where some people may have had some training, it's that all men in a certain age range have some kind of military training of some sort. And many are veterans of real conflicts, like Strelkin.
Thank you for the detail, that was exactly my point. Its not necessarily the work of the current Russian military. That's all I was pointing out. Dangerous for someone to jump to that conclusion when its very possibly the work of the separatist group. And I'm NOT going to jump into the political debate of who the separatists "really" are. I don't find that pertinent to the topic of this thread.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by BearX220
The 777 was operating at 33,000 feet, according to FlightRadar24. That is not much of a margin. If the MH crew saw the NOTAM, they made a judgment to fly as little as 1,000 feet above the designated trouble zone. Not much of a safety margin if you ask me.
The safety margin is built into the NOTAM.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH
Condolences to all the families who are victims of this tragedy. I pray that they get the strength to cope up with this loss.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I think it's important to keep in mind here one's geography. Eastern Ukraine is a long, long way from Kiev. I once traveled by train from Kiev to Kharkov and it took a whole day (there was a sleeper compartment even in 2nd class on such a trip, which took place during the day). You cross the vast agricultural flatlands of Ukraine and you get some idea of how vast the country is, the granary of Europe! Once in Kharkov, it's still quite a haul on to the Eastern part where all this trouble is happening.

In terms of the size of the country, I don't see any point in avoiding the entire country when it comes to overflying restrictions. Just the far Eastern part.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Sykes
The safety margin is built into the NOTAM.
Today's developments suggest that policy might benefit from review.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by bugsy
I don't think it sounds shallow - when one's countrymen are involved it just brings the incident closer to home - I had the same reaction when I saw the Australian passport in the footage linked up thread. It doesn't mean that you or I value the Australian lives any more than those of the other passengers, (my thoughts go out to all the families and friends of those aboard), just that it's easier to relate to them. I have in the past used AMS as a connection point between AU & EU, and if anything I was expecting there to be more Aussies aboard.
I know what you mean. I feel sad about the Brits (i'm British) and very sad about the Dutch victims - a good friend of mine is Dutch and it's one of my favourite countries to visit. All equally tragic thoigh when you look at it objectively rather than emotionally
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Can someone Spanish-speaking browse through this account? https://twitter.com/spainbuca

Apparently a traffic controller who works in Borispol. Not sure if relevant, but makes some peculiar claims.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by exilencfc
I know what you mean. I feel sad about the Brits (i'm British) and very sad about the Dutch victims - a good friend of mine is Dutch and it's one of my favourite countries to visit. All equally tragic thoigh when you look at it objectively rather than emotionally
I'm Dutch and this is a national tragedy for us. These things are always hard hitting but they hit extra hard when they're so close to home. I've travelled this exact itinerary on an MH 777 a few times before. Having plenty of friends/family/relatives in Oz/NZ this is a route that I closely relate to.
So unnecessary as well.. this will trigger a whole bunch of political dominos
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by BearX220
Today's developments suggest that policy might benefit from review.
Hindsight is 20/20. Planes routinely fly 1,000 feet above temporary flight restrictions and restricted areas (some of which are restricted due to live ordinance testing).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.