Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk! Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with the earlier MH370 thread, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

FT MH 017 / Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Forum Moderation Team:
ABroadAbroad
cblaisd
JDiver
NewbieRunner

for the MH 17 Moderation Team

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

N. B. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IN POST NO. 1.

OTHER FORA OF INTEREST:

This thread is about the loss of MH 17. In depth discussion of unrelated topics — geopolitics, passport theft, aviation security, airport security procedures, etc. — belongs in other fora. A few include:

OMNI/PR: Discussion of perspectives on politics and religion, including geopolitics and terrorism (requires 180 days on FT and 180 constructive posts prior to admission)

If you wish to discuss the politics and political implications related to this issue (or others), please do so in OMNI/PR; the MH 777 Crashes In Ukraine - Official In Kiev Claims Airliner Shot Down By Separatists thread is the place.

Travel Safety/Security: Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (including routing passenger aircraft over conflict areas).

Travel Safety/Security: Practical Travel Safety Issues for those discussing travel safety and security issues because they are planning a trip soon (including passport and nationality issues).

TravelBuzz: TravelBuzz for those wishing to discuss the relative safety of a specific aircraft - e.g. Boeing 777.

Further posts regarding any of these issues are liable to summary deletion.
We have a number of Destination fora to discuss various aspects of destination travel (including airports, airport connections, etc.) and Airline, Hotel, etc. fora. You can see them displayed in the Forum Home, here.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Given the MH 17 tragedy, I am surprised to see that KL 1387 (Amsterdam-Kiev) departed just 2 hours ago and is now in Ukrainian airspace. No other major airline has any planes in Ukrainian airspace currently...
How else would they get to Kiev...?

If they're going to operate the flight it kind of has to go through Ukranian airspace. Further, it's probably now full of media and government / airline officials so they probably went out of their way to operate the flight (and not cancel it) so those people could get on the ground as soon as possible.

Given the MH 17 tragedy, I am surprised to see that KL 1387 (Amsterdam-Kiev) departed just 2 hours ago and is now in Ukrainian airspace. No other major airline has any planes in Ukrainian airspace currently...
It's midnight local time

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
*CENSORED*

I know that this sounds very shallow, and it is, but seeing than many Aussies on board chills my soul.. I imagine many were connecting in KL on the way home.. Here but for fate it could have been a loved one (and I am checking now!)

Makes me mad and sad and sick all at the same time.. I only hope, that if this was the act of some one or people, that they are bought to quick and appropriate justice.
I don't think it sounds shallow - when one's countrymen are involved it just brings the incident closer to home - I had the same reaction when I saw the Australian passport in the footage linked up thread. It doesn't mean that you or I value the Australian lives any more than those of the other passengers, (my thoughts go out to all the families and friends of those aboard), just that it's easier to relate to them. I have in the past used AMS as a connection point between AU & EU, and if anything I was expecting there to be more Aussies aboard.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
For what I understood, only the airspace above the troubled areas (the battle areas in the east of Ukraine) is closed now for traffic. Kiev is far away from that area.

To be honest, I'm surprised to find out it wasn't already closed. When I fly from Europe to the Middle East I always get a diversion around Syria, which is about equally dangerous (as is now sadly proven) to the east of Ukraine.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg
so they stole a few SAM trucks? Or did SB Putin gave tacit approve to "lend" them a few?
When Ukraine's military abandoned Crimea to Russia they left behind materiel. Russia has been slowly handing this back over to Ukraine.

The rebels attacked the Ukrainian border posts early on and took control of many of them. Regardless of this the border is long and salaries small. Heavy weapons have been coming in somehow, as is absolutely clear when you look at the list of 11 Ukrainian aircraft that have been shot down in the last 7 weeks.

So it's either repossessed Ukrainian gear, or coming over the border from Russia.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
Their leader is a "retired" GRU colonel - make of that what you will
in those parts of the world, the word "retired" usually means active duty but with temporary removal of rank on special important assignment for the state

with so many Dutch victims onboard... I'm so sad... Can't recall another airplane crash with so many Dutch victims... probably not since Tenerife?(which I still remember vividly)
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by bugsy
I don't think it sounds shallow - when one's countrymen are involved it just brings the incident closer to home - I had the same reaction when I saw the Australian passport in the footage linked up thread. It doesn't mean that you or I value the Australian lives any more than those of the other passengers, (my thoughts go out to all the families and friends of those aboard), just that it's easier to relate to them. I have in the past used AMS as a connection point between AU & EU, and if anything I was expecting there to be more Aussies aboard.
+1. Not shallow, just that it his closer to home when you see countrymen on board. Doesn't mean you value those lives any more or less.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by UltraRant
To be honest, I'm surprised to find out it wasn't already closed. When I fly from Europe to the Middle East I always get a diversion around Syria, which is about equally dangerous (as is now sadly proven) to the east of Ukraine.
Syria is known to have extensive anti-aircraft missile batteries
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Unconfirmed video footage of the plane being shot down.
Anybody speaks Russian/Ukraïnian here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWDGIRqmKsg
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:17 pm

in those parts of the world, the word "retired" usually means active duty but with temporary removal of rank on special important assignment for the state
Thus the quotation marks.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:18 pm

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Libya, just a couple years ago, IIRC 109, just 1 boy survived the accident.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver

with so many Dutch victims onboard... I'm so sad... Can't recall another airplane crash with so many Dutch victims... probably not since Tenerife?(which I still remember vividly)
The Afriqiyah 771 crash at Tripoli in 2010 had 67 Dutch victims.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by alanR
Syria is known to have extensive anti-aircraft missile batteries
So are the rebellions in Ukraine, since today...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by The Wolf
Unconfirmed video footage of the plane being shot down.
Anybody speaks Russian/Ukraïnian here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWDGIRqmKsg
Uh, that doesn't sound right at all. At one point, the plane in the video makes a full complete loop. First, I don't think a 777 can even do that. Second, it could have been a Su-27 performing evasive manoeuvers from a missile. Third, the description of the video leaves ... a LOT to be desired as far as objectivity goes.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:27 pm

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Berbound,

Tks, think it was 109 Total.

MH 16 Left KUL (30 minutes delay).

It is not sure if MH17 Will depart tomorrow (depends on crew).

Checkin staff has been informed by my employer what happened.

Also senior staff MH on board with family on his way to Malaysia for holiday.

Airport crisiscentre Will be open 24/7 for familymembers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.