Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk! Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with the earlier MH370 thread, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

FT MH 017 / Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Forum Moderation Team:
ABroadAbroad
cblaisd
JDiver
NewbieRunner

for the MH 17 Moderation Team

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

N. B. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IN POST NO. 1.

OTHER FORA OF INTEREST:

This thread is about the loss of MH 17. In depth discussion of unrelated topics — geopolitics, passport theft, aviation security, airport security procedures, etc. — belongs in other fora. A few include:

OMNI/PR: Discussion of perspectives on politics and religion, including geopolitics and terrorism (requires 180 days on FT and 180 constructive posts prior to admission)

If you wish to discuss the politics and political implications related to this issue (or others), please do so in OMNI/PR; the MH 777 Crashes In Ukraine - Official In Kiev Claims Airliner Shot Down By Separatists thread is the place.

Travel Safety/Security: Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (including routing passenger aircraft over conflict areas).

Travel Safety/Security: Practical Travel Safety Issues for those discussing travel safety and security issues because they are planning a trip soon (including passport and nationality issues).

TravelBuzz: TravelBuzz for those wishing to discuss the relative safety of a specific aircraft - e.g. Boeing 777.

Further posts regarding any of these issues are liable to summary deletion.
We have a number of Destination fora to discuss various aspects of destination travel (including airports, airport connections, etc.) and Airline, Hotel, etc. fora. You can see them displayed in the Forum Home, here.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
An oddity (if MH17 had been hit by a missle) being reported by a NYTimes reporter on the scene:

"Many of the bodies were still in their seat belts and still attached to pieces of the plane.

That would potentially suggest an attempt at a controlled landing
Is there some reason to believe that a missile hitting an engine or wing, causing the plane to plummet to earth, would remove passengers' seatbelts?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Temedar
I find it hard to believe that the Ukrainians could have relied only on visual evidence.
I find it hard to believe that anyone targeted a civilian jetliner at high altitude on purpose. I think this was blind dumb shooting.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
It's completely unclear to me why, despite all that, there are so many Ukrainian planes flying around the area. Especially with airspace closed (below 7,900m) to civilian flights - isn't that indication that, well, the SAMs are not screwing around? Why would there be BOTH an Il and an An in the area?
They were military planes. Il is reported to be transporting provisions for the government forces. the airspace below 7,900m was closed for civilian aircraft. I am not sure how it works but perhaps military aircraft do not require permission?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by CPRich
Is there some reason to believe that a missile hitting an engine or wing, causing the plane to plummet to earth, would remove passengers' seatbelts?
There was an earlier post about the pilot reporting "incident onboard MH17", which would then imply that a "fasten your seatbelts IMMEDIATELY" command was given. Also, many passengers keep seatbelts on when seated (per crew instructions!)

I wouldn't imagine a plane hit by a missile immediately explodes, does it? There is probably X seconds between impact and complete decompression.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am not sure how it works but perhaps military aircraft do not require permission?
I'm pretty comfortable assuming that military aircraft in the middle of a war/armed conflict aren't paying a lot of attention to "closed airspace".
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by BearX220
I find it hard to believe that anyone targeted a civilian jetliner at high altitude on purpose. I think this was blind dumb shooting.
Right, but the procedure for a SAM launch is probably different in the Ukranian army and the separatist militia. The separatists - in theory - could have taken it for a Ukrainian military airplane, but not vice versa

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
According to Ukrainian official this is the smoke from BUK missile which hit the plane.

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Anyone have any ATC chatter from the area?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:50 pm

This incident is really frightening as I didn't think planes could be hit at cruise altitude.
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
I am old enough to remember the Russians shooting down Gary Powers' U-2 40 years ago at 70,000 feet.
Seriously?!! Never thought of that.
In any event, my deepest condolence to the families of MH17.

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Why would first responders to the site (or anyone else) collect all those passports off the bodies? Removing them makes victim ID harder, not easier, and there's the flight manifest for that anyway. Why?
I was just thinking about this.. This IS turning this thing into a much larger international incident! All the nationalities involved and families are going to need closure and proper burials which means IDing and extraction in the middle of what is, for all intents and purposes a warzone..

Messy situation to say the least..

There was an earlier post about the pilot reporting "incident onboard MH17"
The air traffic controllers say that the pilot did not report any problems.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Andriyko
The air traffic controllers say that the pilot did not report any problems.
My bad, I feel like I read something upthread about it. Could be wrong, and it's hopeless to find it now.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:52 pm

Oh I'm sure the military planes don't require permission, but seriously, what sort of planning is that? "Rebels are shooting down our planes daily, so uh, let's send some more in there." Admittedly, I don't know what's going on over there at this point, but it just doesn't seem logical to provide reinforcements by plane if they have such a high incidence of successful takedowns.

[redacted]
I don't know what to tell you.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A reminder of the guidelines established in the wikipost, and that noncomplying posts will be summarily deleted; moderators do not have the time to do a lot of editing, much less PMing members requesting them to edit their posts.

Those wishing to pursue political discussions and eligible for OMNI/PR can read and post in this thread: MH 777 Crashes In Ukraine - Official In Kiev Claims Airliner Shot Down By Separatists in OMNI/PR.

In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

FT MH 017 / Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Forum Moderation Team:
ABroadAbroad
cblaisd
JDiver
NewbieRunner

As with the earlier MH370 thread, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be deleted.

cblaisd,
MH 17 Moderation Team

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 17, 2014 at 2:22 pm
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Why would first responders to the site (or anyone else) collect all those passports off the bodies? Removing them makes victim ID harder, not easier, and there's the flight manifest for that anyway. Why?
I hope that they didn't collect passports off the bodies but have found them separately (do you carry your Passport on you while in flight? Mine is typically in my seatpocket, bag and/or overhead bin). [redacted] Watching those (terrible) pictures had me hope that someone could have survived, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

My thoughts are with all those involved, the people on board as well as the families left behind.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jul 17, 2014 at 1:00 pm Reason: Insensitive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.