Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk! Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with the earlier MH370 thread, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

FT MH 017 / Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Forum Moderation Team:
ABroadAbroad
cblaisd
JDiver
NewbieRunner

for the MH 17 Moderation Team

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

N. B. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IN POST NO. 1.

OTHER FORA OF INTEREST:

This thread is about the loss of MH 17. In depth discussion of unrelated topics — geopolitics, passport theft, aviation security, airport security procedures, etc. — belongs in other fora. A few include:

OMNI/PR: Discussion of perspectives on politics and religion, including geopolitics and terrorism (requires 180 days on FT and 180 constructive posts prior to admission)

If you wish to discuss the politics and political implications related to this issue (or others), please do so in OMNI/PR; the MH 777 Crashes In Ukraine - Official In Kiev Claims Airliner Shot Down By Separatists thread is the place.

Travel Safety/Security: Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (including routing passenger aircraft over conflict areas).

Travel Safety/Security: Practical Travel Safety Issues for those discussing travel safety and security issues because they are planning a trip soon (including passport and nationality issues).

TravelBuzz: TravelBuzz for those wishing to discuss the relative safety of a specific aircraft - e.g. Boeing 777.

Further posts regarding any of these issues are liable to summary deletion.
We have a number of Destination fora to discuss various aspects of destination travel (including airports, airport connections, etc.) and Airline, Hotel, etc. fora. You can see them displayed in the Forum Home, here.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
According to the BBC :

The International Air Transport Association says the plane appeared to be flying through ordinary airspace when it crashed. "Based on the information currently available, it is believed that the airspace that the aircraft was traversing was not subject to restrictions," the association said in a statement.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-28354787

MH did not ignore no fly zone. There was none.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Topolino
For propaganda not correct journalist information
Very sad and showing no respect for victims

The video (News TV) showing the collected Dutch passports (showing photos of 2 young Dutch citizens with names, birth days + the photo of a Malaysian passport with personal data and photo) and the Malaysian one was done with the following purpose: "You see they are killing everyone, you see they are killing even children, even from Nederland ..".
The voice in the video is telling something like open (the passport) it, keep it, don't move, show the other children (foto), take the Malaysian passport show it ...
Especially that Dutch girl's passport... Born in 2001... So sad.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
A Ukrainian website posted intercepted conversations between the Russian rebels. I am not sure whether links are allowed but to summarize - somebody reporting to someone probably in command that they have shot down a plane. The report was made at 4:40pm Kiev time. They said that they shot down a plane 30 minutes prior.
The recording then cuts to after they inspected the site and came to the realization that they shot a civilian aircraft. The sound very distressed and swear a lot. Report that the plane broke down in the air. Confirm that it is a civil aircraft (which did not move the listener at all). The person says that aircraft parts were falling onto residential houses. The listener has the audacity to ask whether there were any weapons on the plane even after learning that it was a passenger one (they probably did not realize what they've done at that point).
This is just horrible...
I can post a link to the Russian language recording if it is allowed.

I am not sure how trustworthy it is.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Andriyko
The air traffic controllers say that the pilot did not report any problems.
Would they be ATC based in the Ukraine or Russia or where? What's the regional center or whatever that would be responsible for this airspace?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would they be ATC based in the Ukraine or Russia or where? What's the regional center or whatever that would be responsible for this airspace?
They were in the Ukrainian airspace under control of the Dniepropetrovsk centre.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by raph
I hope that they didn't collect passports off the bodies but have found them separately (do you carry your Passport on you while in flight? Mine is typically in my seatpocket, bag and/or overhead bin). [redacted] Watching those (terrible) pictures had me hope that someone could have survived, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

My thoughts are with all those involved, the people on board as well as the families left behind.
I haven't previously but I read a thread on FT a few days ago that suggested doing so in case of an emergency landing. It occurred to me then that it could also be useful if the worst happens.

Originally Posted by lfc84
incredible to think that ukraine hosted the euro 2012 championships only 2 years ago and now the country is beset by such problems in the east
And Donetsk was one of the host cities wasn't it?

I really hope that, if nothing else, the bodies and effects of the deceased will be swiftly returned to their families
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And MH5631 AMS-KUL has just departed..... Must be extremely uncomfortable for the crew and those passengers.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BearX220
They don't have the military capability or diplomatic muscle to do much else. Other actors will take the lead, and not helpfully.
True, however, if proven to be shot down by pro-Russia separatists, this incident can become very problematic for China, who is trying to maintain a cordial relation with Malaysia - whose support China really needs in a region full of territorial conflicts. At the same time, China is already walking a delicate balance on how to justify or at least, not condemn the separatists' action without alienating Russia or Ukraine - think of an elephant gliding on a balloon with one foot in a circus. Plus, another downed Malaysian jet is a painful reminder there is still 100+ Chinese missing from the missing jet and could reignite pressure domestically to do something more. Things would have been a lot worse if this were a U.S. airliner, say a U.S. airliner enroute to TLV however, a downed MH aircraft in this case, is really not that much better because of the above mentioned ramifications.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by dll
Interesting to see flight paths for carriers to/from Europe and Asia - some seem to actively avoid Ukrainian airspace for overflight (not a comprehensive list, mind you):
- NH
- CZ
- CX
- BA
- VS
- KE

While others do not seem to avoid it:
- TG
- SQ
- MH
SQ has posted on Facebook that Singapore Airlines flights are not using Ukraine airspace.

After posting this based on their Facebook post. I saw the image below which is from flightradar24. I'm wondering if they updated their flight plans for their other flights after MH17 disappeared. Just perusing through flightradar24, it looks like some SQ flights did got through Ukranian airspace assuming the data on flightradar24 is correct. The flights I noticed were SQ305 LHRSIN and SQ323 AMSSIN.

http://t.co/BVDMlqGOjG

Last edited by kluau88; Jul 17, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by f0xx
Anyone can grab two people, make up a conversation, throw a fancy video together and post it saying "OH LOOK WE HAVE THE CONVO!"
The source is said (I can't confirm) to have posted geniune recordings before.
Of course this does not guarantee that today's one is real. Seems to be available here now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5E8kDo2n6g
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RTW1
And MH5631 AMS-KUL has just departed..... Must be extremely uncomfortable for the crew and those passengers.
I assume that this is a KLM operated flight with a MH flight number as a codeshare?

Even though MH left SkyTeam for oneworld, MH and KLM are still partners under a bilateral agreement.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I assume that this is a KLM operated flight with a MH flight number as a codeshare?

Even though MH left SkyTeam for oneworld, MH and KLM are still partners under a bilateral agreement.

Yes. http://news.klm.com/incident-with-ma...light-mh017-e/
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc
And Donetsk was one of the host cities wasn't it?
Correct
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Temedar
The source is said (I can't confirm) to have posted geniune recordings before.
Of course this does not guarantee that today's one is real. Seems to be available here now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5E8kDo2n6g
Yes, they have posted genuine recordings before, which is why I am inclined to trust this one.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Skyteam
At over 32,000 ft, what kind of weapon do you need to shoot down a plane traveling 500 mph? I can't imagine a hand-held surface to air missile downing a 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.