Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm not seeing any particularly well regarded hotels here? The Fairmont Pacific Edge has a good bar so would be my natural choice, but the photos looked a bit dull. The Marriott options don't seem to include anything in the luxury or even somewhat approaching luxury segment. Any ideas? I don't need anything particularly special, but I assume Vancouver can offer more than a Sheraton.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:58 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'm not seeing any particularly well regarded hotels here? The Fairmont Pacific Edge has a good bar so would be my natural choice, but the photos looked a bit dull. The Marriott options don't seem to include anything in the luxury or even somewhat approaching luxury segment. Any ideas? I don't need anything particularly special, but I assume Vancouver can offer more than a Sheraton.
I'd go with Rosewood
KatW and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Rosewood ... or Shangri-La
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Rosewood looks exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, but is sold out until December. Will have another look at the Shangri-La then.

Thanks guys!
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The Rosewood looks exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, but is sold out until December. Will have another look at the Shangri-La then.

Thanks guys!
The hotel is not sold out per se. There is a strike there that is now in day 52. I had a 3 night reservation there last month and looked up rates a few weeks before my trip to see if they had dropped... and noticed they showed zero availability for October... thought that was odd... called Rosewood and got some horrible Corporate Speak about the lack of availability. Found out online they were on strike. About a week before my stay I switched to the Shangri-La.

I have previously stayed a few times at the Hotel Georgia (Rosewood) and liked the hotel and location very much. It and all other Vancouver Hotels do not get any love here, but I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. Turns out however, that I think I now like the Shangri-La even more. It too seems to get no love here... but I enjoyed my stay. Very spacious Deluxe Room with OK city scape view (no water view). Excellent breakfast and service in the restaurant and my wife had a facial she enjoyed. Very quiet residential hotel.
offerendum and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:29 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I've cancelled several bookings at Rosewood Georgia this quarter because of the strike.... it is a real shame
I heard they even had to move wedding receptions out of the hotel.

Pac Rim and Shangri-la has picked up most of my business. Only one older couple went to The Wedgewood Hotel and was pleased.

Last edited by ABG; Nov 15, 2019 at 7:57 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Fairmont Pacific Rim has the best combination of views, rooms, food and service in Vancouver. Great spa and cool sushi bar... I've been staying there since it opened and haven't seen any other options which would convince me to change allegiance.

Shangri-La rooms are too small and angular - much like Toronto's version.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by xray
Fairmont Pacific Rim has the best combination of views, rooms, food and service in Vancouver. Great spa and cool sushi bar... I've been staying there since it opened and haven't seen any other options which would convince me to change allegiance.

Shangri-La rooms are too small and angular - much like Toronto's version.
I don't get the hate SLa gets here. Toronto (standard) rooms are small, but they only have right angles. Suites are more than spacious enough. Vancouver's rooms have weird shapes. Some of them feel small as a result. But the hotel has very good food, a good gym, is quiet, and has great service. If the room size in Vancouver bothers you, get a suite, like Toronto, they are plenty spacious.
MicSanToro likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by ridefar
I don't get the hate SLa gets here.
Me either. My Deluxe room was rectangular. Even better the long side of the rectangle was floor to ceiling windows. I guess choice of room at the Shanghai-La Vancouver is important as I too am not often a fan of weird angled rooms. I seriously considered the Fairmont for the view, but you have to shell out many extra dollars to guarantee said view... plus looking closely at guests photos i always noticed the massive grass roof of the convention center first... then water/mountain. I also much prefer either the Shanghai-La or the Rosewood’s location for walking around. Shangri-La also much smaller hotel. Service at breakfast was the best I have had in a long, long time.

FWIW the room below was booked using a “Luxury Circle” agent which includes a 1 level upgrade at time of booking... in other words I booked the cheapest room and got this.

Spacious seating area with comfortable furniture

Makeup station and bathroom entry

Only single vanity

Bright room lots of glass. View obviously just average cityscape, but fine. Very relaxing residential feel to room.

Nice hallways. Very little foot traffic, very quiet, no door slamming.

Last edited by schriste; Nov 15, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by schriste
Nice hallways. Very little foot traffic, very quiet, no door slamming.
Unless you stay in hotels a lot you may not appreciate how important this is, but especially in Canadian hotels: Canadian fire bylaws typically mean hotels select cheap doors that slam and make a loud noise when they close. SLa has done this right in both Canadian properties -- they make hardly any noise when they close. I don't understand why more hotels don't put in quality doors that don't make noise and keep out noise, but if is depressing how few do this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
While PanPacific is usually not luxury , if you stay in her suites , you will be fine . Suites have generous bathrooms with double vanities , large separate shower & tub .
Setting the AC at 16 C / 60 F is a breeze ..
Most importantly in this case , it is right on the water ! Spend hours , when it was too hot outside plus with jet lag , watching the float planes land & take off . Cruise ships activities below our windows

The doors shut quietly too ..
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ABG
I've cancelled several bookings at Rosewood Georgia this quarter because of the strike.... it is a real shame
I heard they even had to move wedding receptions out of the hotel.

Pac Rim and Shangri-la has picked up most of my business. Only one older couple went to The Wedgewood Hotel and was pleased.
If it would be a hotel of some special guy I am sure they would "import" staff from Mexico
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by ridefar
I don't get the hate SLa gets here. Toronto (standard) rooms are small, but they only have right angles. Suites are more than spacious enough. Vancouver's rooms have weird shapes. Some of them feel small as a result. But the hotel has very good food, a good gym, is quiet, and has great service. If the room size in Vancouver bothers you, get a suite, like Toronto, they are plenty spacious.
I did stay in a suite in Vancouver and that was from where the angular comment came I stayed there once when the hotel first opened and was underwhelmed...
In Toronto, my home is Hazelton as I bring my dog so there are secondary considerations.

Fairmont Pacific Rim was even better when FPC was still around (nostalgia !) as an amazing place to use certs... anyway, it is my recommendation for Vancouver and a good place to escape the inlaws (every Xmas for the last 8 years)... I like too that many staff have been there the whole time so it's a reunion every year.
ridefar and Eagle_traveler like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xray
I did stay in a suite in Vancouver and that was from where the angular comment came I stayed there once when the hotel first opened and was underwhelmed...
In Toronto, my home is Hazelton as I bring my dog so there are secondary considerations.

Fairmont Pacific Rim was even better when FPC was still around (nostalgia !) as an amazing place to use certs... anyway, it is my recommendation for Vancouver and a good place to escape the inlaws (every Xmas for the last 8 years)... I like too that many staff have been there the whole time so it's a reunion every year.
I still (in the short time we have left before it being deflagged) enjoy the Four Seasons Vancouver which can often be had at a very decent price. It has a great pool and the rooms were redone quite nicely not to long ago. It hasn't gotten much love here but Ill be sad to see it go.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:48 pm

Shangri-la or Fairmont Pacific Rim (Vancouver, Canada)

Hi Guys,

I am trying to book 5 nights in Vancouver downtown around April using Amex FHR. Can you guys give me your feedback which one is better ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.