Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2023, 5:45 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
And for those just transiting through… there is a nice Fairmont inside the YVR airport.
Kids and plane enthusiasts especially love the rooms with tarmac views. They come with plane spotter pamphlets.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 11:08 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ericka
And for those just transiting through… there is a nice Fairmont inside the YVR airport.
Kids and plane enthusiasts especially love the rooms with tarmac views. They come with plane spotter pamphlets.
I stayed there on the gold floor earlier this month and was pleasantly surprised.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 1:03 am

Rosewood Hotel Georgia

Has anyone stayed at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia recently? I have a stay booked in a few weeks but noticed that the property will be closed January-March 2024 for renovations.

Curious as to what shape the hotel is in pre-renovation.

Last edited by seausa; Nov 13, 2023 at 1:13 am
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:59 am

In October 2023, I stayed at the Fairmont Pacific Rim. The location is great, centrally located. Plus, it also looks out over the harbor and mountains. Neat to see the harbor planes take off & land right in front of you. We were in Vancouver for a cruise, and the cruise port was about a block away from the hotel. We also walked to Stanley Park, and to all of the high end shopping areas from the hotel, but we are very active.

The harbor view room needed to be updated IMO. Carpet looks somewhat worn. The “craftsman” “woodsy” theme of the room, doesn’t work IMO. The bathroom is 4 star. Everything was clean. I hear the Spa is nice, and the Gym had a good array of equipment, mid-size, but in a windowless room. We only had breakfast there and thought the food was good.

Service was good, and I recall them using my last name on several occasions which I found surprising. This is a solid 4 Star hotel.

I was turned off by the Rosewood in Vancouver, because it really has nothing to offer (no views, pool,etc) and pricier. Kinda reminded me of a stuffy old hotel, boxed in on each side with other buildings.

Harbor view room. Seabourn cruise ship.
seausa likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:17 am

How is the safety situation in downtown Vancouver now?

The videos on youtube don't look too good
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc

I never felt unsafe. As far as homeless / drug impaired, only when I ventured to the psilocybin shop neighborhood, did I see a noticeable amount of folks that some might call “sketch.”
Some homeless folks scattered around the normal areas, but never felt weird or threatened.
seausa likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Livetotell
I never felt unsafe. As far as homeless / drug impaired, only when I ventured to the psilocybin shop neighborhood, did I see a noticeable amount of folks that some might call “sketch.”
Some homeless folks scattered around the normal areas, but never felt weird or threatened.

Was staying in the downtown area , one of the Fairmonts , in September and it was alright walking about , even at night
Old Nov 19, 2023, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by seausa
Has anyone stayed at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia recently? I have a stay booked in a few weeks but noticed that the property will be closed January-March 2024 for renovations.

I stayed there in September and did not care for it. I had stayed there several times, the last time probably around 2017, and really liked it and the quiet serene nature of the hotel. This time, I found it to be worn and dated, but worse, it was loud and chaotic. It apparently is now where people go to party. The lobby was full of non-guests, and the valet was always heaving with non-guests. The hotel bar in the central courtyard played loud music until very late.

Unfortunately, it has become one of those hotels that is more for non-guests than guests (which is a pet peeve of mine).
seausa likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

Has been and still is perfectly fine. If you don't like to see what drugs do to people, avoid the Downtown Eastside (Intersection Main St & Hastings is the "core"). Outside of that/if you stick to the actual downtown part, you won't even notice it. And even then, if you do go there and walk too far past Gastown - it's perfectly safe - at most you'll get asked for money, but people are harmless.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:18 pm

Update

Originally Posted by seausa

Stayed at the Rosewood in November 2023. The property was nice and clean but old fashioned. I booked through Amex FHR and received a small room upgrade. Booked a superior and was upgraded to superior preferred. Ended up paying a small fee to upgrade to a deluxe king room and it was worth it. The room is spacious and the bathroom is massive. Everything we ordered through room service was fantastic. Only complaint was the poor valet service. Upon arrival there was not a valet in sight and their entry is quite crowded and small. I was only able to hand my keys off once I opened the doors to the hotel and a valet greeted me. Two more times after calling for my car and waiting 10+ minutes to go down, my vehicle was not there. It is clear that they did not get your car until you were waiting downstairs.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:15 am

Programs: all of 'em.
Last minute trip, 5 days from today, to record a (non-union) orchestra.
One day for session, only two nights spent - on the clients' list of choices is the Shangri-La, The Douglas, two Fairmonts and the JWM.
(Unfortunately, not Rosewood).
All of these hotels' locations seem pretty equidistant from the studio we're booked into (Monarch, near Trout Lake).
From reading through the above (thank you!), seems like the airport Fairmont or the Shangri-La might be the nicest choices?
Any word on recent stays at any of these appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:29 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The Rosewood is closed right now..... I wouldn't spent two nights at the Airport Fairmont. The Fairmont PacRim and Fairmont Waterfront seem far from your location. I'd probably consider the Douglas based on distance. Lots of interesting suites.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:50 am
Original Member

I was surprised last October to find the YVR Fairmont quite acceptable. Only stayed because had a connection the next morning at 9 from the south terminal which is no where near the main terminal. Gold floor great for aviation geeks, includes telescopes to watch the planes. No noise issues whatsoever. Room nice and inoffensive. Gold lounge nice enough. Concierge arranged seamless ride to the south terminal. Because my expectations were basement level I was kinda impressed.

Fairmont Pac Rim has terrific views (obviously get high floor). Gold lounge unremarkable. In 2019 my one bedroom corner suite on gold floor (there are two) was utterly generic. I think everything was grey but for the sheets on the bed. Would never stay there again. Very long hallways.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ABG
The Rosewood is closed right now..... I wouldn't spent two nights at the Airport Fairmont. The Fairmont PacRim and Fairmont Waterfront seem far from your location. I'd probably consider the Douglas based on distance. Lots of interesting suites.
Thanks, ABG! I should have mentioned that - with this client - we will likely be booked into base rooms, not suites.

I know very little about Vancouver - have only flown in a few times to access Whistler/Blackcomb - and it would seem as i peruse a map with unfamilar eyes that all of these 'downtown' hotels are essentially in the same general area. And thus, no one has a significantly longer general drive-time to Trout Lake/East Vancouver than the other.

But i sense from your reply that this notion is ill-conceived, that the Douglas' and even Fairmont Waterfront's location may significantly reduce drive-time vs the Shangri-La's?

EDIT: one day at stu (attempting to record nearly 15 minutes worth of cues, so it will be a looong day). We will likely leave at no-thirty in the morning on that day, and return for a late dinner. So traffic may not be as big a factor?

Last edited by cornwall4000; Feb 21, 2024 at 8:24 am
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by KatW
I was surprised last October to find the YVR Fairmont quite acceptable. Only stayed because had a connection the next morning at 9 from the south terminal which is no where near the main terminal. Gold floor great for aviation geeks, includes telescopes to watch the planes. No noise issues whatsoever. Room nice and inoffensive. Gold lounge nice enough. Concierge arranged seamless ride to the south terminal. Because my expectations were basement level I was kinda impressed.

Fairmont Pac Rim has terrific views (obviously get high floor). Gold lounge unremarkable. In 2019 my one bedroom corner suite on gold floor (there are two) was utterly generic. I think everything was grey but for the sheets on the bed. Would never stay there again. Very long hallways.
Thanks Kat!!
Upon closer inspection, I see that the airport and Waterfront Fairmonts are on this client's list, but not the Pacific Rim location.
I think I'm down to choosing between Shangri-La and Edwards. (Unless you guys tell me the Waterfront or the JWM is significantly better for base-level rooms than either of those, I trust this crew!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.