Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Vancouver: Four Seasons or PanPac?

Hey folks!

I have a week vacation in Vancouver upcoming in OCT and can choose between the Pan Pacific at the harbour and the Four Seasons close to Robson street. Whats the best choice ??

I read about the new Shangri La which will be opened in 2007 but for this year I thank you for your suggest's
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA-GLD, SW-CP, Starwood-GLD
I'm a fan of FS so I would naturally say FS. The property is located above a mall so it was convenient for a couple last-minute needs. The only reason I might choose PanPac is if leaving for an AK cruise...but even still, we used the FS.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:32 pm

Room categories?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have stayed at both. Would go for 4 Seasons.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: delta plat, hilton gold, marriott silver
I love the Harbour location.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hairpeace
Room categories?
It's a booking over Airtours germany... Superior room for only 102.- EUR ^
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:22 pm

Programs: lowly 1P
My first and only stay in Vancouver was a harbor view room at the Pan Pacific. The most memorable part of the trip was flying into the harbor from Victoria on a Harbour Air float plane and pulling up to their "terminal" just a stone's throw from the Pan-Pac.

I had an upper floor room and loved watching the floatplane activity on the harbor every morning. The room was beautiful and well appointed. The service staff were personal and professional. I remember that the floormat in the elevators stated the day of week. I'd never seen that before.

Sorry I can't comment on the restaurant or bar.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:42 pm

I stayed at the FS 2 years ago. As has been mentioned before on this site, the physical structure is tired and worn, and is in the cookie-cutter type of the older FS properties (ie. Toronto).

That being said, however, the service is outstanding (far superior to the Pan Pacific) and the furnature and public areas are well-maintained. Although the rooms could use some updating and seperate baths and showers, they are fine. If book a Deluxe Corner room on a high floor, and you will have a view of the water as well.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
If the construction for the Olympics is still going on at the harbor, I would avoid the Pan Pacific. Last time I stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver Waterfront, the construction work was very noisy.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
If the construction for the Olympics is still going on at the harbor, I would avoid the Pan Pacific. Last time I stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver Waterfront, the construction work was very noisy.
Not 5-ring circus-related construction but it's the trade/convention center expansion. It'll be going on for many years to come (looking at the site last Tuesday, it appears that they're still hammering in the pilings).

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Aug 31, 2006 at 4:28 pm
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:30 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Not 5-ring circus-related construction but it's the trade/convention center expansion. It'll be going on for many years to come.
Not entirely true ... the Trade and Convention Centre expansion will be used as the Global Media Centre for the 2010 Olympics.....

The FS YVR is, according to insider information, supposed to close entirely at some point in the near future for an extensive renovation.....
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by luxury

The FS YVR is, according to insider information, supposed to close entirely at some point in the near future for an extensive renovation.....
Extensive AND MUCH NEEDED renovation!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:25 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Originally Posted by Nimrod
My first and only stay in Vancouver was a harbor view room at the Pan Pacific. The most memorable part of the trip was flying into the harbor from Victoria on a Harbour Air float plane and pulling up to their "terminal" just a stone's throw from the Pan-Pac.

I had an upper floor room and loved watching the floatplane activity on the harbor every morning. The room was beautiful and well appointed. The service staff were personal and professional. I remember that the floormat in the elevators stated the day of week. I'd never seen that before.

Sorry I can't comment on the restaurant or bar.
I would like to echo Nimrod's experiences. I also had a harbour view room and used the floatplane service to Victoria (but I flew back on a helicopter which lands at the ferry terminal just to the East of the Pan Pac).

The other great thing about the Pan Pac was watching the liners come in and leave.

Can't comment on the FS.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:23 am

I was just briefly at the Pan Pacific and loved the view. The construction activities did not interfere with my experience.

Although a bit off topic, I can recommend both Lumiere and Feenies (side by side, one more casual) as wonderful dining experiences. (although not close to the PP}

Jane in Philly
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Although the FS property in Vancouver is one of the older and more tired of FS's properties, you still get a FS bed and FS service. That's enough for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.