Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:21 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Rosewood or Fairmont PacRim both have great room products.... The warmest service is probably FS or Rosewood
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Presidents Club, Starwood
I like the Pacific Rim but the Shangri La is more luxurious.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moving the above three posts to newly renamed consolidated thread.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Zresort
What do you think is the best luxury hotel in vancouver ?
IMO the Fairmont Pacific Rim and the Rosewood Hotel are the best properties in Vancouver. The former has a more modern style whereas the latter could be dewcribed as "classic elegance" and probably attracts a slightly older crowd.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
IMO the Fairmont Pacific Rim and the Rosewood Hotel are the best properties in Vancouver. The former has a more modern style whereas the latter could be dewcribed as "classic elegance" and probably attracts a slightly older crowd.
My review in post 64 above describes my impression of the Rosewood.

Service at the Four Seasons is very good although the Pac Rim has a much newer hard product and views.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zresort
Any opinions on pan pacific vs fairmont pacific rim ?
Unless there has been a very recent renovation at the pan pacific I would have a strong preference for the Fairmont Pacific Rim.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:44 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The Pacific Rim was surprisingly good -- the hard product is great and the views are excellent, especially in Signature Harbour view rooms.

One caution though is that I feel this hotel has an identity crisis. While I laud live music in the lobby, it can be a bit much when there is pounding club music blaring from the Lobby at night at such a volume where it is nearly impossible to interact with Front Desk staff, in person or over the phone. It felt very W-esque.

I felt Oru is weak as a restaurant. Still, it is a good restaurant. Virtuoso rates are 10% off BAR here too.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC, BA
Shangri-la

The Shangri-la is head and shoulders above the other 5* properties in Vancouver. Their service and attention to detail is superb for a North American hotel. The fact that the hotel has only ~100 rooms makes it feel a lot more exclusive and boutique compared to the PacRim or FS. Great hard product (with the exception of the small and dark lobby in the basement) and outdoor pool area underwent a renovation last summer.

The (very few) Executive Rooms with large balconies looking down toward Stanley Park are stunning.

As some others have mentioned Market is probably one of the best hotel restaurants in Vancouver, probably tied with Hawksworth.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Shangri La is also new, built around 3 years ago.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allstar_yvr
only ~100 rooms makes it feel a lot more exclusive and boutique compared to the PacRim or FS
plus condo residences >
156+155 rosewood (indoor pool)
119+307 SL (outdoor pool)
372+0 FS (indoor/outdoor pool)
377+173 PacRim (outdoor pool)

Originally Posted by flyerhog
jan 2009 SL
mar 2010 fairmont pacific rim
jul 2011 rosewood

FS news > http://stephendobson.com/blog/70441/...april-25-may-8
Stephen has been invited to be the Artist in Residence at [FS] between April 25 and May 8, 2014.

demonstrations on his method of painting in the Hotel's lobby on the weekends during this time
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerhog
It is quite new- they just had their five year anniversary party. From what I can see as a customer, the hotel significantly cut back on staff a couple of years ago- since then I don't think it is at nearly the same level as the Four Seasons for service. The rooms though are still very very nice- and if you get one of the very few with a view excellent.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:31 am

The new GM of the Shangri-La came from FS Vancouver -- Kari Koskela was the former Hotel Manager of the FS and is now GM of the Shangri-La. This can bode well for the Shang.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by allstar_yvr
The Shangri-la is head and shoulders above the other 5* properties in Vancouver.
Head and shoulders above!?!?!

I have to disagree. Lets just compare to PacRim for now. The rooms are very similar bw the two hotels, it's as if they hired the same guy to design them. The PacRim blows the ShangriLa away when it comes to views, room service food, pool, spa and suites.

I've stayed at PacRim now 4 times and Shangri La even more, only reason is Shangri La is often cheaper by about 30% compared to PacRim.

Now PacRim Gold floor is head and shoulders above Shangri-La, it's not even close and the rates prove it.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by kokinos
Head and shoulders above!?!?!

I have to disagree. Lets just compare to PacRim for now. The rooms are very similar bw the two hotels, it's as if they hired the same guy to design them. The PacRim blows the ShangriLa away when it comes to views, room service food, pool, spa and suites.

I've stayed at PacRim now 4 times and Shangri La even more, only reason is Shangri La is often cheaper by about 30% compared to PacRim.

Now PacRim Gold floor is head and shoulders above Shangri-La, it's not even close and the rates prove it.
I think they have the same owner.....
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luxury
I think they have the same owner.....
Same developer for both projects I believe- don't know who are the owners now as most of the properties were sold off as condos IIRC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.