Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:53 pm

I would say Fairmont Pacific Rim > Shangri La. Better restaurant, better spa I can say personally. I have stayed at neither (live locally) so can't comment that much personally on beds/rooms but this is the general consensus. Rosewood would also be a good option.
Usher9387 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:46 pm

Depending on what you will be doing during your stay you may want to consider the location of the two hotels. The Fairmont Pacific rim is close to the cruise ship terminals on the harbour and the Shangri-La further up in town closer to shopping areas such as Robson street. If you are doing a lot of walking around location could be an issue as it sometimes rains in Vancouver in April.
Usher9387 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by SometimeTraveler
Depending on what you will be doing during your stay you may want to consider the location of the two hotels. The Fairmont Pacific rim is close to the cruise ship terminals on the harbour and the Shangri-La further up in town closer to shopping areas such as Robson street. If you are doing a lot of walking around location could be an issue as it sometimes rains in Vancouver in April.
we are not taking any cruise mostly going to spend time in and around Vancouver. I’m looking for in house restaurant that serves good breakfast/dinner, more modern rooms and amenities.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:55 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Both hotels have a similar feel and amenities as they are owned by the same real-estate firm
The Gold Floor would give Fairmont an advantage plus the views over Coal Harbour are more to my own personal taste
The Shangri-la probably has a lower overall cost, especially as they are more liberal with the availability of a 4 for 3. PacRim closes it out often, but YMMY.

Shangri-la's own Luxury Circle program will be more generous that FHR
Usher9387 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:31 pm
Original Member

There is another thread on this:

In which is my review of our July 2019 stay at Pacific Rim. In short, harbor views and action wonderful. Otherwise no great shakes for the money. If you do stay, do not book Gold Service accommodations, it is a rip off. I am not normally cost conscious but do want (forgive me) quid pro quo which was gravely undelivered at Pacific Rim.
Usher9387 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Merging this thread into the one referred to by KatW above.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Usher9387 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
I will have a five night stay in Vancouver third week of October (virus allowing). After reading this thread I am still not sure where to stay. So any advice for my particular requirements would be much appreciated:

- prefer spacious rooms
- family friendly, will travel with wife and 10 year old son. So nice pool would be great.
- not too fussed about views but immediate neighbourhood must have some shops/restaurants

I am leaning towards Shangri-La but may split the 5 days between SL and Rosewood. Good choice?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:13 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by janwillem
I will have a five night stay in Vancouver third week of October (virus allowing). After reading this thread I am still not sure where to stay. So any advice for my particular requirements would be much appreciated:

- prefer spacious rooms
- family friendly, will travel with wife and 10 year old son. So nice pool would be great.
- not too fussed about views but immediate neighbourhood must have some shops/restaurants

I am leaning towards Shangri-La but may split the 5 days between SL and Rosewood. Good choice?
In Vancouver along the harbor, the view is naught to eschew. Even for those uninterested, this is a special experience. So, maybe one night in a habor hotel.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by janwillem
So nice pool would be great.

between SL and Rosewood. Good choice?
The Rosewood's pool is all inside, and not a place to sit around. There is an outdoor, rooftop lounge adjacent to the pool, but that's not really great for a 10 year old either.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the replies! Will definitely let them weigh into my decision.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
I spent several nights at the Shangri-La with my father for his birthday last year and we had a great stay booked through Luxury (Ian) who sometimes posts here. A few quick notes:
  • The rooms are quite nice and comfortable.
  • Every night we received some sort of surprise from the hotel whether it was cake in the room for Dad's birthday or drinks etc.
  • Booking through Virtuoso, the breakfast was all inclusive al a cart and delicious. We never received a bill or anything to sign for at breakfast.
  • The clef d'or concierges were able to get us reservations same day at restaurants that had been booked for a week before arrival
  • There is an outdoor pool and hot tub with drink service overlooking the neighborhood. It wasn't crowded when we were there but might be more crowded in peak summer?
  • Rosewood and the Fairmont properties are an easy walk and we had drinks at each, I preferred the general vibe and location of the Shangri-La but the bar at Rosewood was the best bar in my opinion
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
I had a stay 3 weeks ago for 5 nights. Was in a Deluxe Suite, as were my parents.
The rooms were quite different in layout. I had a really large balcony, while they had a small balcony, but much larger bathroom. As I was on my own, I was happier with the larger balcony, as it was nice to sit out and have coffee.
The restaurant was closed while we were there, so breakfast (inclusive with our Virtuoso booking) was a buffet in the library, with an chef (who, if I remember rightly, is one of the restaurant chefs), making up some cooked to order omelettes.

All the staff were fantastic. My mum was particularly impressed with the general manager not just giving directions to the Ginger Bar, but going out his way to take us there. He runs a very good operation, easy to see he leads by example.

A few photos

Balcony

Bathroom

Bedroom

Livingroom

Pool, from the balcony

Lobby
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:57 pm

Vancouver

I’m looking for a luxury hotel (city) experience in Vancouver on a Friday evening in November. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:02 pm
Original Member

This thread might help: Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR
I personally love the Fairmont Gold at the Fairmont Pacific Rim. Its location is perfect, right by the water. The service is excellent. The food in the lounge is superb. In the morning, you can choose your main course from a menu and complement it with items from the buffet. They also offer afternoon snacks, canapés, and desserts in the evening. The views are outstanding. Fairmont Gold guests enjoy complimentary access to the spa facilities, while all guests have access to the pool and hot tub, which are open year-round. Even if you choose not to stay on the Fairmont Gold level, the overall experience is still excellent.

The other options would be the Shangri-La and the Rosewood Hotel Georgia. I haven't stayed at either of those, so I can't comment on them.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 29, 2023 at 11:13 pm Reason: Made bolder so text is easier to read

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.