Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Well, if you want a house dog, then you had better stay at MO Paris, where the GM, Philippe Leboeuf brings his dog to work every day.
Good to know
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Just a heads up to anyone staying at the FS Paris this week that there's an official delegation staying there and this is supposed to make access to the hotel a bit more difficult.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:19 am

In fact they now have 2 hotel cats at Le Bristol - the kitten is called Cleopatra.
The name seems appropriate for Pharaon's wife.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Just a heads up to anyone staying at the FS Paris this week that there's an official delegation staying there and this is supposed to make access to the hotel a bit more difficult.
A Saudi with a suitcase of cash?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by erik123
one only ?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
They all leave by the September 4th and back to normal for the hotel.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
The name seems appropriate for Pharaon's wife.
She looks more like his daughter, but then, this is Paris, sooooo
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Thumbs up great report thankyou!

Originally Posted by KatW
I promised a review after my June stay at Le Bristol so herewith:

We abided there June 21-26 and were delighted in every aspect. Our accommodation was a deluxe junior suite; the view was nothing to speak of but that was fair since our package included an upgrade.

There was a foyer off of which was a roomy walk-in closet; a large and comfortable salon with sofa, two comfy chairs, desk and chair, alcoves with shelves and mini bar, television, bar area and chest of drawers. The bedroom was likewise roomy with king bed, desk and chair, armchair, closet alcove with drawers, chest of drawers, upholstered bench. Bathroom -- well, my goodness was it finest kind! Marble, of course, commodious bath, fabulous shower, two sinks, plenty of counter space, exquisite soaps, lotions, etc. Linens in bath and shower were decadent. Attention to detail and comfort was obvious and appreciated.

We made frequent use of the concierge desk and were bowled over by the attentive, kindly, expert service rendered there. Tickets to a concert? Of course. Tickets to museums (Pompidou, Orsay, etc.)? Of course. Dinner reservations? No problem. Monitor AF flight home during traffic-controllers strike? Certainly. Please call when house cat is present in lobby -- But of course!

Out late one evening for opera at the Garnier; upon our return the doorman and concierge both inquired as to how was the opera. Not "how was your evening" but "how was the opera!"

Room service was so responsively fast it was amazing; and the cuisine was marvelous. I'm afraid we indulged in this over much and so enjoyed it.

The courtyard features magnolias, roses, geraniums, ivy and grassy lawns (and, occasionally, a wandering cat). We were seated promptly and our drinks arrived soon thereafter. The bar is a baronial sort of gentleman's club with fireplace (lit even in June!).

Facial in the spa was out of this world, and the booking clerk there worked wonders to get me in during a busy time. Had my hair done in the salon and, that too, was memorable.

Be careful about getting laundry done here, however. I don't ever want my husband to know what we spent!

We'll be returning in July 2015 after our Belmond Grand Cru barge tour of Burgundy.

In the end, I was struck over and over again by how kindly was the service here.
superb and makes this a tempting option- particularly the food!^^
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BENLEE

As for the Concierge of the FSGV? The less said the better. Two weeks to reply on a car transfer? That's bordering on being incompetent.
I'm with you on the Concierge. They want you to email requests and then they don't answer them. This is pretty pathetic and if all our vendors weren't set I would change the hotel.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:44 pm

She looks more like his daughter, but then, this is Paris, sooooo
Even true at the head of the country hihihih
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Member

Thank you, CanfordCliffs, so kind!

A different review of the Saint James in Paris. We spent four nights there, in June, at the start of our France rambles comprised of a seven-day ultra-luxe barge trip on the Canal de Briare and Paris. We stayed at Le Bristol after the barge "cruise" and loved it, without doubt the best hotel in Paris for us.

Our four days at the Saint James in the 16th in advance of boarding the barge were wonderful, too. The location is quiet, peaceful, residential and dotted with neighborhood bistros and boulangeries. Great walking past mostly old manses with hidden gardens, flower-strewn balconies and altogether a great deal of charm. The chateau itself is exquisitely set on its own plot of land with gardens, trees, stone walls, fountain and gates.

We had a suite on the first (second for U.S.) floor, off the grand staircase from the magnificent entrance, also accessible via a small elevator. Large living room, large bedroom, two perfectly equipped marble bathrooms with lovely fluffy towels, entrance foyer. Lots of large windows that could be opened; windows festooned with trailing ivy geranium. Desk and chair, comfy sofa, two comfy chairs, TV, two credenzas in salon. In the bedroom, two more comfy chairs, delightful king bed, two walk-in closets, more windows. The décor is somewhat eccentric but comfort is not spared.

The décor in the dining room and large bar is elegant and airy; the bar brings to mind the mansion library with its circular iron stairs to the second-story bookshelves. I am a sucker for library bars ... I am, after all, a librarian. The lobby -- well, it is very dark and in the center is a scarlet upholstered circular velvet banquette reminiscent of an elegant Western bordello.

It never occurs to me to comment on cleanliness since I expect nothing but sterling perfection in that regard but I note others do make a note of it so, for the record: spotless!

Breakfast in the dining room was perfection, the best we had in Paris. It was buffet style or a la carte. Go for the buffet: basket of croissants (including chocolate, almond; baguettes, brioche, sliced toast), fresh juices, scrambled eggs, quiche, smoked fish and meats, cheeses, fresh fruit salad, berries, granola, crème fraiche, yoghurt, bacon, sausage, boiled eggs, butter, jam, marmalades, breakfast tarte (apricot or apple during our stay), and more I'm sure, so much choice and all perfectly done and presented.

Staff at the front desk were charming and sweet. The concierge post not so accommodating but, then, they were busy. The front desk arranged a hairdressing appointment for me nearby on very short notice; it was only two blocks away, expertly done and modestly priced. Room service was swift and beautifully presented; the room service menu a bit limited. Our first night we got very confused about what time it was and ordered coffee at 3am and they didn't blink an eye. It was even GOOD coffee. My husband had a great massage in the spa. He was given cute little (very) bikini underwear.

The restaurant is wonderful, somewhat formal and very expensive. Depending upon one's taste, dining in one of the many nearby bistros is a good bet; or get wonderful foodstuffs from a boulangerie and picnic in the bedroom. Great wine cellar. Lovely bar but I wasn't thrilled with the service there but it was middle of the afternoon.

The pricing is very good for luxe accommodations. I would stay there again; it's a good place to recover from jet lag before embarking on more adventuresome expeditions.

Of course there is a cat, a wary fellow of the noir persuasion; he did suffer for a wee moment my fulsome cuddle before baring his claws. He hangs out in the bar and, preferably, in the garden dining terrace and may be spotted during breakfast waiting impatiently for someone to open the enormous French (!) doors to the terrace.

Last edited by KatW; Sep 3, 2014 at 7:19 pm
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess CC'ing the powers to be at George V definitely lit a fire up the Concierge's butt. Got more emails in the past 24 hours than I have for the past month.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm with you on the Concierge. They want you to email requests and then they don't answer them. This is pretty pathetic and if all our vendors weren't set I would change the hotel.
Wait, they want e-mail? I always just assumed that they were technologically backwards and considered e-mail a second-rate medium based on what a crappy job they did of handling it.

If they are actually steering people to e-mail, the standard of service they provide that way moves from "quite bad" to "awful" in my book.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by jordyn
Wait, they want e-mail? I always just assumed that they were technologically backwards and considered e-mail a second-rate medium based on what a crappy job they did of handling it.

If they are actually steering people to e-mail, the standard of service they provide that way moves from "quite bad" to "awful" in my book.
Different strokes and all that. I infinitely prefer email over phone.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Different strokes and all that. I infinitely prefer email over phone.
I do too, but the George V concierge are incredibly slow at responding to it. I always assumed that this was because they preferred to work over the phone (or fax or telegram or some other ancient technology), but the fact that they actually suggest e-mailing them makes their lack of responsiveness really inexcusable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.